Evap Codes GONE...Woo! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Markuson

SILVER Star
Threads
New charcoal canister and replaced fill tubes.

Sheesh. Finally!

Bad news is canister is EXPENSIVE...

But glad I can stop my routine with the code reader/reset. :hillbilly:

42352F6B-6F76-4219-B743-73C49F26098C.jpeg

DB38BE45-996F-450A-8670-67375D95A5AF.jpeg

Let’s hope it stay code free at Moab.

@Markuson Thanks for the posting. Guess I’ll have do that too soon :bang:

Fill tubs, are they for an auxiliary tank?

Let’s hope it stay code free at Moab.

Yes. I’m with you on making sure top of the world trail is done with only half a tank or so. I was talking to George at Valley Hybrids, and he pointed out that top of the world trail is unique in that it is literally up-hill 100% of the time…
-Unlike other trails where you go up and down in series even as you climb over-all. That could be a huge part of why we heat up so severely on that particular trail to the point of boiling fuel...

Fill tubs, are they for an auxiliary tank?

Yes indeed!
And I gotta say...this 24 gallon tank is really nicely tucked...and also up-armored.

It was now or never on the canister since getting to it now means tank removal...so I’m glad we were able to source it in time.

Yes. I’m with you on making sure top of the world trail is done with only half a tank or so. I was talking to George at Valley Hybrids, and he pointed out that top of the world trail is unique in that it is literally up-hill 100% of the time…
-Unlike other trails where you go up and down in series even as you climb over-all. That could be a huge part of why we heat up so severely on that particular trail to the point of boiling fuel...
We leaked fuel on Fins n things, Golden Spike and Top of the world. So any of those trails could cause boiling issue. It’s many factors such as heat, change is in altitude, amount of fuel in tank and shaking/bouncing on the trail.

I just ordered a charcoal canister too, I hope it comes in time for the LCDC and it fixes the issue

It stands to reason that if it happened before, it may happen again. Battlestar Galactica style.

I'd keep my receipt.

Ya, it certainly could.

I’ll be keeping my main tank well below half full and add from secondary tank as needed...

Thinking secondary tank should run quite a bit cooler as it is fully exposed...has an external pump instead of fuel-cooled internal like the main tank...and is not packed/insulated near hot components in the belly of the whale like the main. It’s close to tail pipe, but not where air gets trapped like nearer the cat etc.

I just ordered a charcoal canister too, I hope it comes in time for the LCDC and it fixes the issue

The other possible culprit can be leaking fuel tubes...or such was implied by pressure/smoke tests posted by others.

If running a 1/4 tank main keeps it from bubbling out...then the sun-tank will take on an extra purpose.

We leaked fuel on Fins n things, Golden Spike and Top of the world. So any of those trails could cause boiling issue. It’s many factors such as heat, change is in altitude, amount of fuel in tank and shaking/bouncing on the trail.

Ya, I agree it’s not just TOTW...but TOTW seems to be specially keen toward an over-heated tank.

@Markuson, can you post the part numbers of what you had to buy? My 24gal is on order.

Mark, Kamal, were there any visible signs of cracks/failure points on the canisters?
or is it something internal?

Interesting. How is it that the evap codes started occurring? Seems to be several cars that have this problem?

Interesting. How is it that the evap codes started occurring? Seems to be several cars that have this problem?

Boiling gas in extreme heat and altitude in Moab. We believe it fouls the charcoal canister, but there may be more to it...such as a fuel filler hose that is not air tight.

Ah. The other unexpected hazards of Moab. Glad you guys figured it out!

@Markuson
Did you just get “Vapor Canister” p/n 77740-60471 only or did you have to get any other OEM in addition to the aftermarket fill tubes?

Aux Tank coming soon, want to get the OEM parts ordered.

@Markuson
Did you just get “Vapor Canister” p/n 77740-60471 only or did you have to get any other OEM in addition to the aftermarket fill tubes?

Aux Tank coming soon, want to get the OEM parts ordered.

I’m still in Colorado and fon’t have access to the exact part number st the moment.

I would just talk to a Toyota parts dept. and I’m pretty there will be no mistaking which number is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom