Engine problems 1992 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1992 4runner with the 2.4L and the engine has around 100,000 miles. Sadly, I found oil in the radiator. I bought this truck back in February and the guy I bought it from had just put a new radiator in it, so the oil is new. I've also noticed that it seems to be outrageously gutless. Driving through the coastal range I had a line of cars behind me because it was struggling to accelerate through the hills, even with dropping it in a lower gear. Additionally, it reeks. It passed DEQ fine, but is stinks like it's not burning enough fuel. Sometimes it likes to burn a ton of oil too, I check it about every week and a few months ago I checked it and it was pretty low. So I filled it back up and it's been completely fine until I checked it tonight, and it was once again, it was extremely low. It has the "typical" 22re tick, at least I think so, its a little loud but everyone has told me they think it just needs to be adjusted.

After I saw the oil in the radiator, of course I did a compression test. The book said that a brand new engine would have about 170 in each cylinder and to expect anywhere from 100 if your engines real worn, to 150. Mine was exactly 175 on all 4 cylinders.

This being my first car, I don't know everything about toyotas, I just have a fair knowledge about cars in general, I'm just a little confused on what's wrong and what I'm going to be getting into.

Pull your valve cover. Shine a light down the timing chain cover. Look for damaged or missing chain guides. The chain eventually wears into the coolant passages. Just one possible source of oil in the coolant.

Pull your valve cover. Shine a light down the timing chain cover. Look for damaged or missing chain guides. The chain eventually wears into the coolant passages. Just one possible source of oil in the coolant.
What he said. Also possible head gasket. Compression test it.

Did you do the compression test with the plugs out and the throttle wide open?

Last edited:
I don't trust compression tests as a diagnostic tool. I would try to do a leak down test. You gotta find the path that the oil is getting into the cooling system. But I would look at the valve guides first, only takes a few minutes and it costs nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom