Engine Block Water Jacket Brass Fitting - Size and Use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Vae Victus

Posting more than I know
Threads
Someone please remind me - is this the heater water return? Right next to the temperature module.

Trying to get a plug for this so I can flush my water jacket. What's this fitting called and any clue the size of the exposed female fitting pictured? 16mm is close to the ID.

Where is this discussed in the FSM? I can't seem to find it. Thought it would be in the engine manual, but it is not.

This is on a '76 FJ40.

IMG_0513.JPG

Had a dia. somewhere that had it but, can't find it. Thread is British Standard Pipe Thread (BSPT) different from National Pipe Thread (NPT).

Last edited:
There is another piece that would screw into that to form a "Z" off-set for the heater return line into the engine. See below:

IMG_2152.JPG

FWIW - Here that unit is installed in my rig. I've since updated the clamp to a Defender AWAB stainless steel, marine grade, smooth band hose clamp.

img_0212-1-jpg.1383585

You could just unscrew it and use a brass NPT plug with plenty of Teflon tape to plug it.

FWIW - Here that unit is installed in my rig. I've since updated the clamp to a Defender AWAB stainless steel, marine grade, smooth band hose clamp.
I love how you made sure we didn't think badly of you for using that god-awful standard hose clamp!!!

I have that other piece as well that forms the Z offset but it is pretty beat up. British Standard Pipe Thread? Jeez. I'm sure the local shop will have some of that lying around.
BSPT fittings and adapters are readily available through Amazon and eBay.

If you are only plugging this for a flush, a good old rubber stopper(no. 3 or 4) will work just fine.

If you're only plugging for a flush, you can pull the lower fitting out of the head. Then a standard 1/2" pipe plug and some putty will do too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom