Easy trans swap?? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would guess somewhere around 8-900ft/lbs? I am at 600+ft//lbs on my silver truck and that turbo is half the size of the one I am going to run.

How much torque are you talking about?
Maybe a diesel truck transmission would be better if you are running huge torque numbers. But those trannies are probably too big to fit your 80.

that takes the 6L90e out of this discussion.

besides, the 6Lxxe have an inherent fault built in shifting from 2nd to 3rd. With that much power you will crack it really soon.

I drive the ZF version and I s*** my pants from time to time when I get 480 lb-ft through it.

I have just started a swap to install a 6.0L L76 out of a G8 with a 6L80E drop out into my FJ60. Will see how it goes.

Of course my dream setup would be the 6L80E transmission. But it is financially unjustified.

Interesting, so the 6L80E is cost prohibitive for the average schmo?

On another note, didn't I read somewhere that the Australian tranny shop (can't recall the name at the moment) figured out how to control the OEM 5sp A750F installed in a 80 series? Not sure if this would be cost prohibitive but a 5sp behind the anemic 1FZFE would be a nice touch.

My apologies for newbie questions but I'm sort of on the fringe on the V8 and Trans projects.

Last edited:
Least parasitic? Perhaps some do slightly more than others, but all autos eat power. Dump the full-time transfer case for something very compact/lightweight/strong like a Dana 300 and now you're making progress. As easy as swapping the output shaft and tail housing from an AW4 Cherokee trans. Throw a transgo shift kit on the valve body and better frictions while you're tearing down and you'll have a nice setup.

yes but not all auto's are created equal when it comes to driveline loss. A442F may be bullet proof but from what I've seen it can zap as much as 30% of the engines power, I know not all autos are that bad.

Interesting, so the 6L80E is cost prohibitive for the average schmo?

On another note, didn't I read somewhere that the Australian tranny shop (can't recall the name at the moment) figured out how to control the OEM 5sp A750F installed in a 80 series? Not sure if this would be cost prohibitive but a 5sp behind the anemic 1FZFE would be a nice touch.

My apologies for newbie questions but I'm sort of on the fringe on the V8 and Trans projects.

What I really mean by cost prohibitive is the labor and modification involved in mating the 6L80E to 1FZFE. The transmission itself is not really expensive, especially second hand. Anything not mass produced would be very expensive.
You can dump a V8 and 6spd tranny for 15k and you get some nice results. But if you have to pay 10-15k just for the transmission to work with the OEM engine and x-case, I'm not sure if that would make any financial sense at all. At a 2-3k range yes, I would do it. Is it worth it at that point? No. Will it put a smile on my face and a frown on my wife's face when she sees the total price? Yes.

I am sure 1FZFE would work in a really wonderful way with the 6spd tranny. It would seem more more powerful. The power band would be an absolute joy to drive.
Lower gear for off road, better city drive-ability, better towing behavior (shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd, unlike OEM setup when the gears are so far apart the RPM drops to a no power band) and better freeway gearing too (slightly lower and quicker passes too due to the ability to drop to multiple gears for better acceleration).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom