Dual battery setup and headlight upgrade in Salt Lake City (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On the growing list of things to do on the FJ62 before Cruise Moab is a dual battery setup and headlight upgrade. I'm looking for a shop in the Salt Lake City area. Cruiser Outfitters told me it isn't a big enough job for them unless I'd be willing to wait until the slow season.

Does anyone have experience with a good expedition shop?

Last edited:
I can't help with your specific request and I don't know the scope of what you are looking for, but I just imstalled a NL dual battery system and put in some LED head lights. And I have zero experience. You may be able to do it yourself.

I can't help with your specific request and I don't know the scope of what you are looking for, but I just imstalled a NL dual battery system and put in some LED head lights. And I have zero experience. You may be able to do it yourself.
What LED lights did you install? The NL looks pretty simple once you make room under the hood.

Do you have pics of your dual setup?

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with Expedition Offroad in Salt Lake City?

Also, will someone post pictures of their dual battery setup?

I'll can send some pictures tonight when I get home. There are several good threads here and NL had some good diagrams that I used. I paid up the kit just to be safe but others have done it cheaper by building their own.

I used a stainless tray with the overflow bottle relocation kit, chunked the scilencer to make room and then just followed the instructions. The only extras I needed was a way to crimp the rings and protection for the wire.

@CarolinaFJ I would love to hear more about those LED headlights you installed... And planning to follow suit on the NL setup.

I don't claim to be anything more than a first time amateur but here is what I ended up with for the NL kit.

IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0203.JPG

As for LEDs there are a few threads on here with the positives and negatives. I did it because it was easy and didn't have to mess with the wiring. The down side is most people are having the issue of the low beams going off when the highs come on. That is not the way the stock lights work. I can deal with that as I don't drive much with highs on and have some aux lights if needed, but it is a drawback. Here is one of the threads. It has the details of what I went with as well as what a few others did.

Four eyes of fire - headlight and harness upgrade on my 62

Good how to thread - J.W. Speaker 8800 Headlight Install (Easy)

Last edited:
Thank you CarolinaFJ. Nice looking install. I'm going for the DIY.

I'll can send some pictures tonight when I get home. There are several good threads here and NL had some good diagrams that I used. I paid up the kit just to be safe but others have done it cheaper by building their own.

I used a stainless tray with the overflow bottle relocation kit, chunked the scilencer to make room and then just followed the instructions. The only extras I needed was a way to crimp the rings and protection for the wire.

Please elaborate on your pos and neg connections to the dual batteries. IS there a single positive cable that connects the batteries together ? and how are the grounds on each battery. Could you spell that out....for the primary battery and the secondary battery?

This is the basic wiring diagram. Although if you have a winch they say not to use the fuses. I grounded both batteries to the body. Basically: starter pos --> switch controller --> aux pos and starter neg --> aux neg.

BCA68BF1-D21D-4FC1-958B-4F89B6D0D4AE-3872-0000041E9825BDA9.jpeg

i did the trucklite led's on my fj62. heads up....you will have to mess with the plug from truck lite, or at least i did.

it only took a few minutes to re-arrange the wires, once i understood the mismatch.

The PO did the dual optima install with a switch in the dash. I dont think something is right though, as one battery went bad....it took the system down [or i dont understand how to isolate them.]

yes, the low goes off when hi is turned on. I only replaced the low beams with LED, will now switch out the hi beams as well.

I havent felt the need to use hi beams since i installed them though, very good lights.

how did you do the wiring? One of the great features of the kit that CarolinaFj did is the controller (not sure on his I use a Tmax) is that you can Jump one battery to the other without cables.

Nice in stall though.

Did you put in a Fuse block for accessories? If not look at the Blue Sea units they are waterproof and if you use the marine wiring then you are sure to see this last forever.
I have done this both in a FJCruiser and LR3. I am about to do my FJ60 later in May. Send more pics.

What "bottle relocation kit" did you use ?? I've tried mounting my bottle on the fender side and it's a pain because it interferes with the hood closing properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom