Builds Drift Monkey's Wheelin' Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

holy hell! those are the brightest parking lights! Nice work! Massive amount to have accomplished in a short amount of time. It looks like you fond a great cruiser, and are putting in lots of time making it excellent. I'm excited to see how things proceed!

One quick note: it looks like you replaced the block drain plug with the 2uZ petcock...I'm not sure if this is the same one that Wit's End sells, but it leaked for me and a few other folks, so keep an eye on it...hopefully you saved your original plug. You may not have an issue, but I assume the block on the 97 is identical to the one on the 93.

Carry on Sir.

That’s because any of the newer style petcocks are a different thread pitch. For example when you buy a new short block you have to buy a new style petcock because the old style (just a plug) has a different thread pitch. Old not compatible with new and vise versa.

Cheers

That’s because any of the newer style petcocks are a different thread pitch. For example when you buy a new short block you have to buy a new style petcock because the old style (just a plug) has a different thread pitch. Old not compatible with new and vise versa.

Cheers

Hmmm....the newer one seemed to thread in fine for me. No leaks since I've installed it.

Hmmm....the newer one seemed to thread in fine for me. No leaks since I've installed it.

Don’t want to clutter your thread but for reference.

Old style

2A5E341C-7AE3-4834-9666-D63DAA0BAC0E.jpeg

new style

AB149752-EDAF-4FA3-92C4-268FAF049B8D.jpeg

New short blocks won’t take the old style, thread pitch is different so here in my shop, new short block gets the new style while a rebuilt block gets the old one put back in. No idea why you had no issues, I encountered this some years ago and now just go with my new gets new and old gets old so no issues or further problem encounters.

Cheers

Don’t want to clutter your thread but for reference.

Old style

View attachment 3431634

new style

View attachment 3431635

New short blocks won’t take the old style, thread pitch is different so here in my shop, new short block gets the new style while a rebuilt block gets the old one put back in. No idea why you had no issues, I encountered this some years ago and now just go with my new gets new and old gets old so no issues or further problem encounters.

Cheers
No worries about clogging the thread! Yeah, that is strange. I thought this was a relatively common swap.

IMG_7256.jpeg
IMG_7439.jpeg

No leaks/puddles on the ground post-swap - ran about 5-6 flush cycles out the spout and has been fine since the cooling system overhaul.

nice rig what size lift are running to fit the 37s any trimming?
Thanks - it's a simple Dobinsons setup - 4" Flexi coils (C59-614V/615V) with their longest (CS59-684/685 "6" lift") yellow nitro shocks. I had some rubbing on the front initially before the @eimkeith Radius Arm Mounts but all is good on the street right now - drives way better with some caster. I need to get her lifted again on a forklift to check my clearances…or I need to go wheeling once it cools down a bit 🤣.

Last edited:
We all want to go wheel but sometimes a bench test is all you get haha
There's still the crucial step of welding that last leg to the passenger side slider before I can go wheel. :rofl:

Installing the winch is next, but this thing really needs gears. Transfer case first is probably the route I'm going...then the axles. I'll never be "done." :banana:

Finally finished that last tricky slider leg that goes under/between the cats. We used 1/2” plate gusseted across with 2x 1/2” plates, boxed and an extra plate gusset extended up to the top of the frame. I also managed to paint…one side so far.

IMG_9604.jpeg
IMG_9606.jpeg
IMG_9609.jpeg
IMG_9629.jpeg
IMG_9632.jpeg

I like the angle these sit at, but boy is it a PITA to paint!

Last edited:
The week before I also dropped in the old winch. This took some….uh…creative clearancing since the control box is huge on this thing.

IMG_9580.jpeg
IMG_9589.jpeg
IMG_9597.jpeg

IMG_9598.jpeg

IMG_9581.jpeg

The center support was notched along with the sheet metal below the grille. The transmission cooler had to be moved up and a bit sideways leaving just enough clearance. I used some pre drilled flat bar and cut off lengths I needed to make sure it still bolted to (most of) the stock locations, but hey, she fits!

Last edited:
The winch left me…well zero space to properly attach it to the battery’s positive terminal so I decided to “clean it up” a little.

IMG_9624.jpeg
IMG_9625.jpeg
IMG_9628.jpeg
IMG_9626.jpeg

I had to bend off the extra length on the old negative clamp and re-drill the remaining “lug” with a M8 bit, but it all worked out. The winch lug now has a proper spot and these clamps should come in useful for later expansions as well.

Side note: how the hell do I disable that ridiculous 90s “red button” alarm that loves to go off whenever you disconnect/reconnect the battery? I had this on my old 01 Tundra as well and it was also extra irritating.

Side note: how the hell do I disable that ridiculous 90s “red button” alarm that loves to go off whenever you disconnect/reconnect the battery? I had this on my old 01 Tundra as well and it was also extra irritating.
seeing as you have a '97, search for RS3000 on here. if its that unit, its as easy as disconnecting the T harness from under the dash and kick panel. But then you'll lose keyless. Pro move is hack the T harness for an aftermarket system like Viper, etc.

seeing as you have a '97, search for RS3000 on here. if its that unit, its as easy as disconnecting the T harness from under the dash and kick panel. But then you'll lose keyless. Pro move is hack the T harness for an aftermarket system like Viper, etc.
This thing has keyless? I'm been locking/unlocking with my key this whole time! :rofl:

Looks like I have a Gulf Coast dealer installed Securikey+ based off this thread: 1997 Land Cruiser Dealer Installed Securikey+ Alarm Guide - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/1997-land-cruiser-dealer-installed-securikey-alarm-guide.1120320/

Good resource as well: Securikey+ ELVAT6B 0014-S0274 0014-S0273 History, Information and Programming Instructions - http://jjguy.com/securikey/

Ordered 2 of these: VERY NICE CODE ALARM AUDIOVOX ELVATDB 4-BUTTON REMOTE START TRANSMITTER DIYTX | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/185474826002 (search for ELVATDB) - hopefully they work.

Last edited:
The remotes came in - they’re in basically new condition. Programmed them both with no issues - not sure if I like the headlights coming on with every lock/unlock but it seems to be fairly programmable. Edit: they no longer come on during lock/unlock, pretty simple.

IMG_9668.jpeg
IMG_9670.jpeg

It's nice to have keyless entry on this thing, didn't know I just needed remotes. :rofl: I should probably work on the rear door lock actuators here at some point...

Last edited:
Flex out on the rock and checked some clearances - the fronts stuff great after @eimkeith RAMs! Tiny bit of rub out back by the bumper covers - I could either trim, or move the lower links a smidge forward. I'll probably just leave it until I get my rear tube bumper built.
377323348_311662348319271_3022148536935499692_n.jpg
370724414_850093443486098_6081452725025872229_n.jpg
371433864_1071974610900237_8373752666466037488_n.jpg
370254892_352224467422003_2324810112835937579_n.jpg
368756935_1938006069918783_556675335344545953_n.jpg

Another (captured) pucker moment. Ignore the smile and wave, I was not having fun in the cab. :rofl:

Also - the front locker seems to like to get stuck after activated - it only unlocked once I put a wheel up on the poser rock for whatever reason. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom