Draining Fuel from gas tank? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The 00 LX & 01 LC FSM shows a fuel tank drain plug.

My ‘98 does not have a drain plug.

003F45B1-1D69-4390-A6D4-EA5A2EB7D421.jpeg

My ‘98 does not have a drain plug.

This reply got my curiosity up... so I went and looked at my 99 LX470. NO drain plug there either.

This reply got my curiosity up... so I went and looked at my 99 LX470. NO drain plug there either.

So now this has me thinking, did the diesels all have drain plugs and they decided to delete it for the petrol versions, or at least the NAS market?
Do the diesels and petrol models use the same fuel tank?

My 99 LC has no drain plug either, looked at factory repair manual that shows a drain plug but couldn't find it had me scratching my head!!

So now this has me thinking, did the diesels all have drain plugs and they decided to delete it for the petrol versions, or at least the NAS market?
Do the diesels and petrol models use the same fuel tank?

I think Toyota knew how many tweakers we have in the USA and didn’t want to give them an easier way to steal gas. (They’d probably drill the tank anyway however)

On a serious note I talked to my Toyota mechanic friend, he said he has never seen a drain plug on a Toyota.

As I mentioned earlier that's what my parts' guy said "no Toyota's have fuel tank drains". But 80 series was before his time!

Last edited:
80 Series has a fuel tank drain plug.

@Trunk Monkey stated his 80 series had a drain also. So my guess is authors of FSM use old digital word doc to write newer FSM. Sometimes they miss changes!

When I bought my 01 LC FSM from Dealer in 2004 they gave a bunch of correction pages, that have sticky edge to insert in FSM books. At some point Toyota turned over publishing to outside company. Then that company stop publishing hard copy. Today only online is available. https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInf...urce_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftechinfo.toyota.com%2F

Be interesting if someone with online access would see if this was corrected.

Last edited:
Online diagram shows the US 100's don't have the drain plug. Rest of the world DOES show the drain plug. However, both have the same part number. Does that answer your question? Not really, huh. o_O

Last edited:
Online diagram shows the US 100's don't have the drain plug. Rest of the world DOES show the drain plug. However, both have the same part number. Does that answer your question? Not really, huh. o_O
Thanks.

Could be replacement word wide do not.

Thought I'd add this here as in the top 10 list it does mention protection for old/stored gas.
44K came in number #1 for cleaning.

Top 10 Fuel System Cleaners of 2017 | Video Review

Last edited:
Be very cool if you posted detailed instruction with pictures here at Draining Fuel from gas tank?

Sorry OP didn't mean to hijack your thread.:notworthy:

It has been a few months since I did this. The following instructions are based on my limited memory. Also, I did it on 2004.

To operate fuel pump with key ON (engine not cranking)
  1. Remove C/OPN relay from fuse box sits next to battery.
  2. Short pins 3 & 5 (fuse box side)

07LC I see the C/OPN on this main fuse box lid.
026.JPG
030.JPG

01LC I don't see the C/OPN on this main fuse box lid
01LC fuse box main lid.jpg

98LX looks to be same as up to 2002 LC or LX
98 LX 300K 312.JPG

It has been a few months since I did this. The following instructions are based on my limited memory. Also, I did it on 2004.

To operate fuel pump with key ON (engine not cranking)
  1. Remove C/OPN relay from fuse box sits next to battery.
  2. Short pins 3 & 5 (fuse box side)

I tried this again recently. The above instructions work.

The 2 golden pins are pins 3 & 5.

Why not disconnect the filler hard line from the tank hose and access the tank from underneath?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom