Downey 4 inch lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey TJ! I actually found your thread!

IIRC, factory calls for 1 degree positive caster. I think you said you were 1 degree negative.

FWIW, I've read a few threads here and on Pirate over the years, and have seen recomendations for as much as 4 degrees positive caster to compensate for this or that front end issue.

Since pretty much all the rigs coming thru my shop are running 33s or smaller, this isn't something I've had to put a lot of time into learning more about. I just try to read the threads and remember what I read for future reference.

Hth

Mark A.

P.S.And yes, unless you buy steel shims and weld them to your axle/spring perches, plan on buying new center pins.

I've been running shims for 3 years. I broke one, since they are cheapo cast shims that I've been using. Pretty easy to replace though. I think mine are 4 degrees. Made a HUGE difference in driving on the road.

Bill Morgan told me that Roger Brown makes shims, and his shims are high quality, not the cheapo cast ones. You might check with him. His web site is here:
http://www.4crawler.com/

He's the Toyota Truck Tech editor/writer for Toyota Trails.

Matt, did you need to replace your spring pins?

I have about 7 mm of exposed thread on my existing pins. I am wondering if that will be enough thread to put a 4 degree shim in there...

If you were to flip the front springs (with the 4" lift), would you have to have to cut or modify the front fenders?

I assume you probably would for the shock mount - but I am more concerned about the front edge and the lip.

I was thinking about the Downey 4" lift springs and their Rubicon shackles.

Thanks -

Rocky

Last edited:
Here's some pictures of my install. It came out nicely.

P1010001_sm.JPG

I am stunned by how much room is now available in the wheel wells. Looks like I need new tires (35's)

P1010006_sm.JPG

Right now, the only problem is my rear brake line. I have the Raybestos BH38009 (5" Longer) hose on order - the stock length is tight as a banjo string. I want to go wheeling, but the first time that axle drops - POW! No brakes.

P1010003_sm.JPG
P1010001_sm.JPG
P1010003_sm.JPG
P1010006_sm.JPG

Rocky, not to hijack the spring thread, but....

For the rear line, you can mount an L bracket upside down from the frame channel where the metal brake line transitions to hose. Then move the factory line anchor onto the new L bracket. Should net you about 4 more inches of travel.

I would snap a pic, but it's raining outside!

Best

Mark A.

If you were to flip the front springs (with the 4" lift), would you have to have to cut or modify the front fenders?

I assume you probably would for the shock mount - but I am more concerned about the front edge and the lip.

I was thinking about the Downey 4" lift springs and their Rubicon shackles.

Thanks -

Rocky

Sorry I missed your post Rocky - looks like you got things done, looks like you flipped the fronts?

I really like the rear flip.

Let me know how you like the ride. What springs did you have on there before?

Although, I have to say my Pig ride quality is spoiling me!

Mark -

I'll climb under there, and take a look and see what you are suggesting. Thanks.

Pablo -

I had the stock springs on there. I like the ride - it's nice and smooth. Haven't been off road yet.
No front flip (yet). A project for another day.

Rocky

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom