Downey 4 inch lift

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
I was getting a request to see how this lift looks, so I will post up some pics...

1978 FJ-40

As best as I can tell, orig springs were on it.

Went stock height shackles in front, 1.5 inch over in back.

Flipped rear spring pack to extend wheelbase.

First pics show stock spring height:
MVC-680F.JPG
MVC-681F.JPG
MVC-682F.JPG
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
New spring height on vehicle

Gained ~4 inches over saggy springs in front, more in back with taller shackles...
MVC-895F.JPG
MVC-896F.JPG
MVC-901F.JPG
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
Flipping rear spring pack to extend wheelbase

First pic shows the two rear springs side by side to measure spring pin offset from center. About 2 inches offset from center, or 4 inches difference btwn mounting springs conventionally, or flipped.

Wheelwells will need to be opened up, and exhaust pipe moved.
MVC-687F.JPG
MVC-840F.JPG
MVC-841F.JPG
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
Wheelbase

Tried to measure wheelbase with a tape (I can't claim perfect precision), and a pic of front shackle angle...
MVC-897F.JPG
MVC-898F.JPG
MVC-843F.JPG
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
My new rear driveshaft needs to be 26 inches, flange to flange, static measurement. Original measured 24 fully extended. Looks like the stock DS has a little over 2 inches of slip yoke.

When I get that in, I can post up a pic...
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
trucruiser said:
Right on Pablo, Gettin up there.
What tires are you going to run?
Did you relocate your rear spring hangers to increase your wheelbase?
I'm thinking 33x10.50 might be nice. This will be a mild rig.

Didn't touch the spring hangers, just flipped the spring pack.
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
2badfjs said:
what ya doin with the stock springs?
Just sitting on them for now... I hear they are the bomb for SOA...

I have two extra packs as well. I think they are fronts w/ add-a-leafs.

Why?
 
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
15
flipped rear

Do you plan to extend the stock axle, or will one from some other rig work? I need to do this to my 40 bad.
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
Tejas Cruiser said:
Do you plan to extend the stock axle, or will one from some other rig work? I need to do this to my 40 bad.
???

I am using the stock rear diff that came with my 40. Is that what you mean?

BTW, welcome to MUD!!!
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2005
Messages
4,874
Location
in the garage
why????you ask

PabloCruise said:
Just sitting on them for now... I hear they are the bomb for SOA...

I have two extra packs as well. I think they are fronts w/ add-a-leafs.

Why?
why,,,soa of course, i think i have a rear set from mabrodis.
just wondering if you want to sell the front pair. (hehehe,trade you for some nissan parts ;) )
 
Joined
May 20, 2005
Messages
15
You say the stock rear DS is 24" flange to flange, and you need it to be 26". I was wondering if there is another cruiser, maybe a 60 or 80 that has this length, or will you be cutting and adding 2"'s or lenght to your stock rear DS. I guess I needed to say DS instead of axle. Doh! Thanks, and I look forward to contributing. Here is a try at posting my rig, so you can see why I need the extension.

 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
2badfjs said:
why,,,soa of course, i think i have a rear set from mabrodis.
just wondering if you want to sell the front pair. (hehehe,trade you for some nissan parts ;) )
Haha! Actually, her starter has been behaving lately... :confused: I think after she heard price she went and talked to it and told it to be a good starter.

I forgot, you have a 40! I couldn't figure out your interest in 40 springs when you have a 60, already SOA.

Sure, I think we can get you hooked up with the fronts...

You know anyone w/ extra third members sitting around in our area? I'm kinda worried about my rear...
 

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
18,958
Location
Northern Colorado
 
 
 
Tejas Cruiser said:
You say the stock rear DS is 24" flange to flange, and you need it to be 26". I was wondering if there is another cruiser, maybe a 60 or 80 that has this length, or will you be cutting and adding 2"'s or lenght to your stock rear DS. I guess I needed to say DS instead of axle. Doh! Thanks, and I look forward to contributing. Here is a try at posting my rig, so you can see why I need the extension.

Chris, that is a NICE looking rig!

As for the driveshaft, I opted to lengthen mine. I think by the time I bought another front and shortened it, it would have cost the same as lengthening mine.

Finding another app. that would fit right in would be a good bit of knowledge to have!

Anyone?
 
Top Bottom