Door weatherstrip install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced all the belt moldings on my '96 fzj80. I'm now looking at replacing the weatherstripping (seals) around all 4 doors. I noticed that the strips run behind one of the arms on the door and in front of the hinge.

Assuming I have to take all the doors off, is this going to be a pain in the ass? If so, I'll likely take it into the shop to save some time.

You don't have to remove the doors. Just remove the pin in the arm that holds the door from swinging too far out (metal, black arm) and disconnect it. Should be able to get the strip around everything else. I did all 4 doors a few months ago, took about 10 minutes each. It's helpful to have one of those body pin removal tools (can get them at harbor freight) as some of the clips can be difficult to get out without it.

Oh snap. I think I have some in a kit I just got on amazon for trim crowbars and misc clips. This is exactly what I needed to know.
This should save me about $150 in labor.
Thank you!

You don't have to remove the doors. Just remove the pin in the arm that holds the door from swinging too far out (metal, black arm) and disconnect it. Should be able to get the strip around everything else. I did all 4 doors a few months ago, took about 10 minutes each. It's helpful to have one of those body pin removal tools (can get them at harbor freight) as some of the clips can be difficult to get out without it.

Actually. I don't think I have one. Would you mind posting a link or image of the one you used?

Gotcha. I do have a bunch of the trim removal tools.
As for the hammer and punch on the pin, does it go back the same way -- just hammer the sucker back in? Wondering if I need to have any extra pins in case I mess it up.

96pin.jpg

Last edited:
Nevermind. I finally found the part name so I found more info on these guys -- door check pins.
part number 68617-20011 for anyone else looking for these.

Just wanted to follow-up here. It only took an hour or so -- super easy. The only other note I should leave for anyone else doing this, is to prepare something to hold your door in place to keep it from swinging wide with the check pins gone. You might need some pliers to remove stubborn plastic clips. It's also helpful to have a toothed plastic crowbar (lots of variants of these tools in those interior panel removal kits on amazon).

I didn't have any significant tears in mine. I did have lots of cracks throughout them, so, it was mostly an aesthetic improvement.
I can't say I've noticed a significant change in noise reduction.

I tried to replace the wx stripping on the rear doors of my 96 LX450, the top edges of the rubber had gaps in them. All was going good on the first door until I got down to the mid point where the clips start. The alignment for the clips and holes was way off. Parts ordered through Toyota and confirmed the part #s through Lexus. Any ideas? Thanks.

I tried to replace the wx stripping on the rear doors of my 96 LX450, the top edges of the rubber had gaps in them. All was going good on the first door until I got down to the mid point where the clips start. The alignment for the clips and holes was way off. Parts ordered through Toyota and confirmed the part #s through Lexus. Any ideas? Thanks.
67871-60043 right rear
67872-60043 left rear

They are side specific and can only go on 1 way.

Thanks for your reply, those indeed are the part #'s I purchased. I will take another shot at it later today and let you know. :)

It is a lot easier when you are installing the correct part on the correct side...I had my part numbers and doors transposed. :bang: Thanks again!

About to do this for all 4 doors. Are the part numbers the same for the LC and LX?

@jonheld thanks for the rear door part numbers.

About to do this for all 4 doors. Are the part numbers the same for the LC and LX?

@jonheld thanks for the rear door part numbers.
Yes. Same part numbers between LC and LX.
I just did all 4 doors 2 weeks ago. The new parts come with the clips installed. I used a plastic trim tool to make removal and installation easier.
Including cleaning the doors after the old stripping was removed, took about an hour to do all 4.

Just got all 4 pieces from McGeorge. I miss the days of free shipping, but I will relish in having dry carpet all Winter.

One last point of clarification. What is the weatherstripping on the top of the door opening that is held on by a plastic trim piece? Pictured below. As you can see mine is shredded. Is that piece what’s called the “Opening Trim”?

4AA7A6F9-20F3-4C2D-B9E2-6C811A93E550.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom