Door Lock Actuator Replacement (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced the two front motors last weekend. After a few days the driver door stopped having a crisp sound - sounded like the motor was spinning more than it should - and then it quit working. I thought the case may have split apart, but what I found is the collar on the shaft moved down to the motor, preventing good engagement with the worm gear. On my extra motors, that collar won’t move. So…make sure you try moving the collar on the new motors before putting everything back together.

DA776B11-F1A4-40DF-A030-E5432724D29E.jpeg

I replaced my rear door motor today and realized it wasn't the motor making a noise, I believe it's the gears inside somehow slipping and making a sound. I'll post a video in a bit but basically what happens is the door locks just fine, but when unlocking it makes a grinding noise (definitely plastic gears inside the assembly grinding for some reason). It locks and unlocks fine, but upon unlock this noise happens. And if I click unlock again (when the car is already unlocked) it keeps making that noise. This only happens on one door, the rest have no noise at all. Any idea why this is happening, I assume it's the gears slipping but why...

I replaced my rear door motor today and realized it wasn't the motor making a noise, I believe it's the gears inside somehow slipping and making a sound. I'll post a video in a bit but basically what happens is the door locks just fine, but when unlocking it makes a grinding noise (definitely plastic gears inside the assembly grinding for some reason). It locks and unlocks fine, but upon unlock this noise happens. And if I click unlock again (when the car is already unlocked) it keeps making that noise. This only happens on one door, the rest have no noise at all. Any idea why this is happening, I assume it's the gears slipping but why...
Maybe clamshell halves coming apart slightly under stress, allowing gears to grind? Pull and re-glue?

Maybe clamshell halves coming apart slightly under stress, allowing gears to grind? Pull and re-glue?
That was the case with mine making a noise similar to what he is describing. I redid the clamshell and it fixed it.

That was the case with mine making a noise similar to what he is describing. I redid the clamshell and it fixed it.
I already did this cleaned up all the stuff and put everything back together. Still grinding, maybe I did it wrong but I cleaned out all the old gunk around the edges and pressed everything firmly together then jb weld and let it sit for hours.

Same here. 2004 LC. Did you find a solution for this yet?

EDIT: found the correct motor on eBay just using the similar items. The buyer I used for the incorrect motor had the correct one and he’s located in New Jersey not China so shipping is quick.

B4CDADC6-805A-4BF4-A65C-7A7542C894CF.png

Last edited:
Same here. 2004 LC. Did you find a solution for this yet?

EDIT: found the correct motor on eBay just using the similar items. The buyer I used for the incorrect motor had the correct one and he’s located in New Jersey not China so shipping is quick.

View attachment 2814090
I got the correct motors off amazon in a few days but the issue seems to be the casing or gears inside, old motor runs just fine.

Hey you guys, Does anyone have an updated link for these motors for a 97 80 Series. replacing the driver side door lock actuator today, Looking at some of these links I am unsure of the size or type I need. Thanks for the help in advance hoping to by 5 of em and replace all my motors

Someone might, but you also might have better luck on the 80 forum…

Hey you guys, Does anyone have an updated link for these motors for a 97 80 Series. replacing the driver side door lock actuator today, Looking at some of these links I am unsure of the size or type I need. Thanks for the help in advance hoping to by 5 of em and replace all my motors
Just buy the whole motor assy from
Rock auto

FWIW on which motors - I have replaced tailgate and both front doors so far on my 2005 LC. The tailgate and one front door were the D-style shaft motors without collar but the other front door (passenger) had the brass collar. So had to pause project to order motors with collar.

Guessing maybe the entire lock actuator was replaced at one point and the new part had a different motor. Remains to be seen what the second row doors have but at least I have 5 of each motor now.

Replaced my driver side actuator but now this is happening.

Video upload isn't working but it basically buzzes when ever I lock or unlock, with key or when using fob

Last edited:
Replaced my driver side actuator but now this is happening.

Video upload isn't working but it basically buzzes when ever I lock or unlock, with key or when using fob

Did you replace just the motor or the full actuator assembly?

If the latter, I suppose you didn’t get something, perhaps one of the cables, in the right spot.

It could also be the collar on the motor slipped and isn’t contacting the gear any more. I had one do this. Lesson learned to check that collar is solid on the shaft before install.

Thought I would contribute to the thread since I’ve found it so helpful in fixing my locks. I’ve got a 2005 LC and it runs the d shaft without the collar.

16342F75-C736-4F9F-8A02-DB9592121334.jpeg

E973016D-913D-4922-8B8E-A616B190A413.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom