Does size matter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

that VW motor has specs similar to a 2H.... wonder if it would work as a swap for a 60?
I'm pretty sure it would make a decent swap into a taco

interesting.
I can't wait to own a *car* again someday, and try to get one of these motors into it... or I guess I could just buy a VW tdi

that VW motor has specs similar to a 2H.... wonder if it would work as a swap for a 60?

I will love to see a 60 series or even a 80 with a common rail electronic uber boosted 2.0 turbo diesel intercooled engine that promise in numbers push much more than my old 2H stock ..

it would be a fun project to drop a souped up 2.0 into a topless 40. The weight would be less of an issue. Could be a fun truck, especially for desert-running (vs. rock crawling). Or I guess you could go Looooooowww gears and wind it up for a very effective crawler.

it would be a fun project to drop a souped up 2.0 into a topless 40. The weight would be less of an issue. Could be a fun truck, especially for desert-running (vs. rock crawling). Or I guess you could go Looooooowww gears and wind it up for a very effective crawler.

Why would you need low gears?
These things already have more torque at lower revs than any of the engines originally fitted to a 40.

There's a perception out there (probably from those who are used to small petrol motors) that a small motor is always a screamer. For a modern turbo diesel there's no truth at all in that.

In fact pick a CR 2.2 diesel from Isuzu or Toyota and compare them to a 1HD-T. The 2.2 not only has more torque, but it arrives earlier.

paper ratings is just that till someone installs one into a Cruiser for a real life test...
like i said before, the 13BT and the 1HZ share the same ratings but are completely different beasts under the hood...

paper ratings is just that till someone installs one into a Cruiser for a real life test...
like i said before, the 13BT and the 1HZ share the same ratings but are completely different beasts under the hood...

A good 2 litre engine thrashes both the 13BT and the 1HZ.
More power, more torque and available over a much wider rev range.

Drive a couple, you'll be surprised.

In fact pick a CR 2.2 diesel from Isuzu or Toyota and compare them to a 1HD-T. The 2.2 not only has more torque, but it arrives earlier.

actually the 1KD-FTV offer a 168HP .. number that it's the same that offer ( at their time ) the 1HD-T

Let's figure a 3.0 with a 4.2 ..

Just ( and with some experience driving those egines ) the 1KD-FTV never will offer the same torque that the 1HD-T can make ..

Dougal,
i am not arguing that the VW 2L is a good engine or not but hook a trailer weight 3000 lbs on behind and go for a drive. the performance MIGHT be ...

actually the 1KD-FTV offer a 168HP .. number that it's the same that offer ( at their time ) the 1HD-T

Let's figure a 3.0 with a 4.2 ..

Just ( and with some experience driving those egines ) the 1KD-FTV never will offer the same torque that the 1HD-T can make ..

Similar power, but the 1KD only has 340Nm of torque. The 2.2 CR engines offer up to 400Nm.
http://www.toyota.co.uk/vs2/oldpdf/08/AV5_63_over.pdf

The 1KD-FTV's that I've driven were auto in a hilux, a far quicker vehicle than any 1HD-T cruiser, faster than the 1HD-FTE. Sure it's 500kg lighter, but the difference in weight isn't as big as the gap in performance.

12 seconds to 100km/h for the 4x4 1kd powered hilux (not much difference auto/manual)
15 seconds claimed for the 100 series cruiser with 1HD-FTE. I couldn't replicate that, more like 17 seconds.
The 1HD-T powered 80 is on the other side of 20 seconds.

Dougal,
i am not arguing that the VW 2L is a good engine or not but hook a trailer weight 3000 lbs on behind and go for a drive. the performance MIGHT be ...

What are you expecting to happen with a 3000lb trailer on the back?

personally i'm rather grateful that dodge PU's do not have little 2L diesel engines, can you imagine towing 12000# 5th wheel with a 2L engine... ?

...LOL... :rolleyes:

personally i'm rather grateful that dodge PU's do not have little 2L diesel engines, can you imagine towing 12000# 5th wheel with a 2L engine... ?

...LOL... :rolleyes:

For the 99% that never tow anything that size a 3 litre diesel would be fine.
Ford have a 2.7 V6 diesel which puts out 440Nm and 200hp, their 3.6L V8 puts out 200kw (270hp) and 640Nm.
BMW have a 3 litre diesel which puts down 580Nm and 210kw (285hp).

Bigger engines work better because they normally have more power and torque, not because they're bigger.
The small engines today beat the big engines of the past decades.

what i was saying is this, the original poster asked whether a smaller engine of the same ratings would perform the same as a larger engine with the same ratings (at least that is what i am interpeting) for in his 60 series.
you are talking a good engine in a 2000 lb vehicle but if you add the extra 3000 lbs then what would the fuel economy, reliability and performance be then? numbers are numbers till someone tries it in real life...
that is all. not arguing, debating.

what i was saying is this, the original poster asked whether a smaller engine of the same ratings would perform the same as a larger engine with the same ratings (at least that is what i am interpeting) for in his 60 series.
you are talking a good engine in a 2000 lb vehicle but if you add the extra 3000 lbs then what would the fuel economy, reliability and performance be then? numbers are numbers till someone tries it in real life...
that is all. not arguing, debating.

Well if you compare a VW/honda/toyota etc 2 litre commonrail turbo to a chev 6.2 then you'd get.

Better economy.
Better reliability.
Better performance all with the 2 litre.

The 1HD-T powered 80 is on the other side of 20 seconds.

been driven ZD30/1KD-FTV ( Fortuner and Hi Lux ) you are right .. the car it's far faster and can keep hi cruising speed ( 140km/h easy for more then 4 hours without problems ) easyly .. and it's thanks to new tech on it ..

Just are planed to still runing after 500,000 km .. and 10 years ?

Better economy.
Better reliability.
Better performance all with the 2 litre.

I can imagine doing my job ( IT manager ) with a old 186 and 8 MB of ram .. and changing info with other with 5 1/4 flexible floppy disc ..

Tech are here and make our life easyer .. ( thought .. ) now the computers don't last more than few ( 2 ) years .. and everithing it's maded in the same way ( same target ) ..

Hi Lux with a race car behind in a mid weight trailer .. means nothing .. It can handle the same speed 140km/h easy .. I'm pretty suremy 80 can't even with actual setup ..

but I'm running DD 80 series stock drive train and 315 without hesitation and still feel it powefull ..

Don't get me wrong.. I'm not pointing the old school tech are better or worse .. all have pro and cons .. and happy me if I can pay for a brand new VDJ76 today .. and let my 80 series old 1HD-T for the next Cruiser lover ..

Just right now if I can pay for a VDJ76 .. I will keep my 14 years older .. HDJ80 Marilu !

been driven ZD30/1KD-FTV ( Fortuner and Hi Lux ) you are right .. the car it's far faster and can keep hi cruising speed ( 140km/h easy for more then 4 hours without problems ) easyly .. and it's thanks to new tech on it ..

Just are planed to still runing after 500,000 km .. and 10 years ?

If they don't do 10 years and 500,000km then toyota will have rogered themselves bigtime.
They know that as well as we do.

corrected
If they don't do 10 years and 500,000km then toyota will have rogered themselves bigtime. (AGAIN)
They know that as well as we do.

what I meant by the looooowww gears was that with nice, low gearing the lightweight motor in a lightweight 40 (compared to a 60) might make for a nice crawler.... it would be light. I suppose you could lug it instead of winding it up.

If I had the $ and bits n pieces to try it, I'd enjoy building a 2.2l 40 series. With the weight savings you could carry enough fuel to drive...... a long ways.

The VW 1.9 TDI has proven it's self in crawling competitions in smaller 4wd's.

I just wanted to see why a smaller diesel would not be just as good as a larger diesel with the same power. The torque in the VW TDI's comes in at a low rpm and peaks about the same as a larger diesel and carries it out into the upper rpm's better.

I think a 2.0TDI would be a better choice for a wagon. The engines are easily modified for reliable power.

So what if we compared a VW 2.0TDI with a Cummins 4BT. Placing both of these engines in an FJ62. IKm not sure how much torque an A440 can handle. But if we change out the transmission then its used on both engines. That way we try and keep everything similar. Keeping mods reasonable. This isnt a tractor pull its a DD Weekend Warrior and trash it every so often type wagon.

There is the senerio. Im not doing this I am interested in why a smaller diesel would not work just as well as one twice its size.

The VW 1.9 TDI has proven it's self in crawling competitions in smaller 4wd's.

I just wanted to see why a smaller diesel would not be just as good as a larger diesel with the same power. The torque in the VW TDI's comes in at a low rpm and peaks about the same as a larger diesel and carries it out into the upper rpm's better.

I think a 2.0TDI would be a better choice for a wagon. The engines are easily modified for reliable power.

So what if we compared a VW 2.0TDI with a Cummins 4BT. Placing both of these engines in an FJ62. IKm not sure how much torque an A440 can handle. But if we change out the transmission then its used on both engines. That way we try and keep everything similar. Keeping mods reasonable. This isnt a tractor pull its a DD Weekend Warrior and trash it every so often type wagon.

There is the senerio. Im not doing this I am interested in why a smaller diesel would not work just as well as one twice its size.

MiniPigg,
I reference to the Pinz in your avatar - they put the VW 2.5L TDI in the new ones, which is just the 5 cyl version of the 2.0. If it can haul around a 6x6 fully locked pinz (which are rated at what, 2+ tons?) with 10+ guys and gear over an Austrian pass I dont see why the 2.0 would not work well in a FJ60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom