Do these motor mounts look right? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I put my engine and tranny back on today but I'm not sure if I did it right. I have been digging through mud looking for examples but all I seem to find is a diagram from SOR. The way I put mine on seems different than the SOR diagram but it works better.

Questions:

1) Do the front mounts look correct or do the hooks go to the outside?
2) Does the bolt go up or down on the left rear motor mount?
3) The right rear in the SOR diagram has both donuts stacked on top of the frame with the domed side up. I didn't do this. I put one above and one below the frame, dome side up on top, and dome side down on bottom. Am I right?
4) Should I use the blue or the red locktite on the transmission to bell housing bolts?

TIA, Slow Poke
FR motor mount.jpg
LR motor mount.jpg
RR motor  mount.jpg

here are a couple more pics. The last pic is of the old motor mounts. Did they come like that or are the two on the left just spent?
tranny install.jpg
old motor mounts.jpg

Loctite® 277? Threadlocker - Product - Henkel

Here's a link to check what you have against. Some Loctites are permanent so make sure you use the removable stuff

ran into some stuff that only came off with heat and then didn't really!

Well, you got 1 of 4 right by my count. Just what is the reason you did not follow the FSM or the figure that SOR shows? Clearly, you can do it any way you want, however, the way you did it does not meet the way Toyota intended the isolators to be mounted.
Rear Motor Mounts 02.gif

Well, you got 1 of 4 right by my count. Just what is the reason you did not follow the FSM or the figure that SOR shows? Clearly, you can do it any way you want, however, the way you did it does not meet the way Toyota intended the isolators to be mounted.

Well, considering that early front isolators didnt have the tabs, I think they will work fine... Honestly the tabs are only going to do something after the rubber separates.

Despite the parts blowup you reference showing the donuts in one orientation in the rear, the bottom right rear isolator has been oriented the way the original posters pic shows on all the FJ40 frames I have seen(wear clearly shows this)

Well, considering that early front isolators didnt have the tabs, I think they will work fine... Honestly the tabs are only going to do something after the rubber separates.

Despite the parts blowup you reference showing the donuts in one orientation in the rear, the bottom right rear isolator has been oriented the way the original posters pic shows on all the FJ40 frames I have seen(wear clearly shows this)

Not on my 40. When purchased it was setup according to the illustration. The setup was the factory original parts (less than 40K when purchased and dealership maintained with all service records).

Not on my 40. When purchased it was setup according to the illustration. The setup was the factory original parts (less than 40K when purchased and dealership maintained with all service records).

Barry that's probably due to the fact that his is most likely pre 6/76 assembled when they had the round front mounts still. Your '78 would have the later style from the factory.

Mr Evans, first let me say that I covet your truck. I have it saved to my favorites list. I also have read many of your posts and value your opinion so thanks for chiming in! The reason I didn't follow the FSM is that the FSM makes no mention of motor mounts, nor can I find any pictures of them.( I have only had the manuals for a couple days so they may be in there.) I tried to put both donuts above the right rear perch like it shows but the engine wobbles around like a sailor on shore leave. Frustrated , I dug though my disassembly pictures and found one showing the the right rear assembled like I have it in the bottom picture above. When I put one below the perch everything improved. Again I looked at the SOR diagram and noticed that they show both donuts with the arched side up. I tried that but it made no sense so I went back to my picture and did it the way the PO had it. The fronts I just did like I saw them in the "big gay " thread. After reading your post I spun them around so the hooks were to the outside. Thanks for your help. Would it be possible for you to take a picture from below or above of your right rear motor mount? That's the one that's confusing.

Thanks again, Slow Poke

I have a 69 chassis, with a 77 2F, and a 3 speed tranny These are the front mounts
100_0530.jpg
100_0533.jpg

Thanks very much all! The second diagram makes more sense to me. It shows the right rear mounts like you and I have them. I especially appreciate the pictures. Love this site!!!

now I am VERY confused.....anyone figure tis out for a 78 definately?

Your answer is pictured in the first post of this thread....

so both diagrams are wrong?

There is NOTHING absolute about those s***ty parts diagrams from Toyota.

They do not even show the frame..... :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom