Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, so as things often do, my plans for this project have changed a little bit. On my last 40 build, I did some things I regretted (too slinky of a suspension, landcruiser axles and transfer case, etc), but I've had the opportunity come up to build another 40. Thanks to the thoughtfulness of one of my club members, I've acquired another 40, so all of the stuff I'd planned for the buggy will be stuffed into the new 40. Therefor:
20160527_150126.jpg
20160527_150136.jpg

20160527_150144.jpg

So everything I've acquired to put into the buggy will now go in the 40.
I'm regearing the axles this week (I'll try to take as many pics as possible as I've never done gears by myself before), and once the axles are ready I'll bring the 40 home for the axle swap. The intent is to make the 40 as capable and bulletproof as possibe within the realms a drive to the trails rig can be. No links are in the plans. It'll be sprung over on 37's and I'll do my best to limit cutting of the body and such.

I'm confused, you sold your '40 to build another '40? that sounds like something I'd do (only with Corvettes, not FJ40s.... oh wait, with '40s too). :cool:

That is a solid looking rig
I totally have issues likely stemming from a lack of variety in my Lego collection as a child so I've projected my creative intent on grown up endeavors: building LandCruisers.
The truck is really clean, but is a bit of a mismash of parts; early parts with a later (?) body. Later axles with a 4" spring under lift of unknown origin. Overall, because it's been pretty much stripped to the bare minimum, it's a great start to a build.

I totally have issues likely stemming from a lack of variety in my Lego collection as a child so I've projected my creative intent on grown up endeavors: building LandCruisers.
The truck is really clean, but is a bit of a mismash of parts; early parts with a later (?) body. Later axles with a 4" spring under lift of unknown origin. Overall, because it's been pretty much stripped to the bare minimum, it's a great start to a build.

I understand part of Obamacare stems from that very problem... highly documented, but does that mean everyone else gets a rash from you?

I'd have guessed the truck was a 78 with a pre-73 windshield... still, looks pretty clean - you leaving it red?

Shipping got a little screwed because of the holiday, but things are arriving and I'll be able to get it all together fairly quick. I have 5.13's coming, a detroit for the rear and lock rite (35 spline) for the front. Yukon chromoly's front and rear, and other miscellaneous parts. With some help from an awesome friend @tonsofun , I'll have the axles together within the next week, bring the truck to my place, and swap in the new springs (FJ40 flipped front and rear) and axles. Tires are being mounted at this moment, I'll post some photos after I pick them up.

My friend had a spare frame, so rather than deal with all of the cutting off of the PO's suspension and steering box mounts, I'm going to start with a fresh unmolested frame. Hoping to get it home in the next day or so, and I'll cut off the front suspension brackets and start things for the 4x4labs saginaw conversion kit.

A nice clean frame, ready for building upon. I'll clean off the shock towers, step mounts, front spring hangers, engine mounts, transmission mount, and rear shackle hangers in the next day or two. I'm also hoping to have the rear spring hangers mounted and posibly the outriggers done in the same timeframe.
20160710_195909.jpg

Love those tires. Looking at those for my next set.

The rear axle is almost ready for spring perches and placement under the frame. I have to check backlash and the ring pattern once more before I put the axle shafts in (and cut the shafts to length first). Rear gear setup overall has been straight forward, although the pinion depth gave some trouble.
Pics to come.

Disks remove over 100 lbs from a pig of an axle.. I removed mine.

Are you going to convert to disks or run those drums?
I'm going to run the drums mainly in an effort to keep things simple and at this point keep the costs down a little. I rebuilt all of the brake parts for under $50. I understand I could save some weight, but 100 lbs isn't going to make that much of a difference for the money.

I've had so much going on with the truck that it's been a little hard to keep up with everything I've done. The front bumper/cross member is 80% burned in along with 4x4labs saginaw conversion kit. Spring hangers are 90% burned in, I just haven't had time to tear the springs down for my son to paint with graphite paint. Axles are pretty much ready to go (I couldn't get a pattern I liked on the front, so brought both axles to a pro. He ended up telling me the front was just about spot on and he only had to change the depth a touch. Money well spent for piece of mind).
With luck, I'll share some photos later this week of the chassis (less the body) sitting on the axles and ready for the body to be swapped over.

Last edited:
Have you used that product before? Curious of the results.

Sweet project you have, been following along since you started and stoked you went 40!

Rear spring hangers are burned in, but I have to wait on some spring isolators before I put the springs back together. I've used SLIP before and had great results (plus it's phenomenal corrosion protection), so I'm using it here.
Tomorrow I'm planning on assembling the NWF Blackbox to 205 and setting it aside for later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom