Difference in factory spoke wheel width? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any difference in width between factory 40 and 60/62 spoke wheels? I've read both (is & isn 't) and I'd like to get a definitive answer. Thanks

Thanks Greek!

16" spoke wheel for a 60's and 70 series is 6 inch wide...

Wish we had 16" here...but we got stuck with 15's unless a person gets lucky enough to find some non-US or split rims. Although I think our 15" spokes are 6" wide also.

Wish we had 16" here...but we got stuck with 15's unless a person gets lucky enough to find some non-US or split rims. Although I think our 15" spokes are 6" wide also.

I'm fairly certain the stock 40 wheel width is 5.5".

You can still order 16x6 steel wheels from Toyota.

Part No. 42601-60262-03

From memory, current retail price is just north of $200. Price from CDan/John Hocker/Lowe Toyota etc is around $150/wheel. :eek:

Yep the ole 15" steelies are 5.5" wide

I'm fairly certain the stock 40 wheel width is 5.5".

You can still order 16x6 steel wheels from Toyota.

Part No. 42601-60262-03

From memory, current retail price is just north of $200. Price from CDan/John Hocker/Lowe Toyota etc is around $150/wheel. :eek:

Thanks Lee. What I'm driving at is determining if the spoke 40 wheel on my rig right now is any narrower than the 60/62 spoke variety. If I could gain any width on the 60/62 wheel then I was thinking about picking up a set. I'm toying with the idea of 33x10.50 KM2's on either my spoke wheel type or stock hubcap setup, which I think is the 5.5" variety you referenced? I know it can be done on either, just doing some homework to be sure I have the right info.

Regarding the 16" available from Toyota, is the backspacing correct for a 40, and are they splits or a solid wheel for use with disk brakes? Any pics by chance?

Thanks Lee. What I'm driving at is determining if the spoke 40 wheel on my rig right now is any narrower than the 60/62 spoke variety. If I could gain any width on the 60/62 wheel then I was thinking about picking up a set. I'm toying with the idea of 33x10.50 KM2's on either my spoke wheel type or stock hubcap setup, which I think is the 5.5" variety you referenced? I know it can be done on either, just doing some homework to be sure I have the right info.

Regarding the 16" available from Toyota, is the backspacing correct for a 40, and are they splits or a solid wheel for use with disk brakes? Any pics by chance?

I took the stock Toyota rims off my 62 and presently run them on my 40 with BFG 33x1050 AT's. At 5.5" wide, I don't think they're any wider than the 40 wheels. No rubbing or any other issue to report.

The 16x6 Toyota steelie that I referenced has 3.75" backspacing and will fit your 40. The rims are not split. Yes they work with disc brakes. Pics...

100_1691.jpg
\

100_1694.jpg

Splangy said:
They are NOT the same width. The 40 series wheels are 5.5" wide and the 60 series wheels are wider (6", I believe).

The OP was talking about the SPOKED versions, not the steelies vs spoke.

:beer:

So was I. But you know what, you're right. I just looked them up in the Toyota parts listings and they appear as 15x6. I specifically asked a guy selling some from an FJ40 last year how wide they were and he swore they were 5.5". OOoops!

Last edited:
This is exactly why I'm asking. There seems to be differing opinions on which is correct.

I thought so... Thought I was going coocoo

:beer:

So was I. But you know what, you're right. I just looked them up in the Toyota parts listings and they appear as 15x6. I specifically asked a guy selling some from an FJ40 last year how wide they were and he swore they were 5.5". OOoops!

So then to summarize, all spoke varieties whether they are from a 40, 60, or 62 are all 6" wide. The factory pre '79 wheel/hubcap combination is 5.5" wide, correct?

78crzr said:
So then to summarize, all spoke varieties whether they are from a 40, 60, or 62 are all 6" wide. The factory pre '79 wheel/hubcap combination is 5.5" wide, correct?

Not dead sure of the year of transition but the welded steelies/hubcaps are definitely 5.5" wide.

80-earlier hubcap wheels are 15x5.5 (FJ40,45,55).
81-90 steel spoker wheels are 15x6. (FJ40,60,62,mini)

done.

Thank you Jim. BTW, what is the lead time on having a '76 40 carb. rebuilt?

Lead time is too long right now, 6 weeks or so.:eek:

Sorry, not enough of me, too many ailing Cruisers.:frown:

No worries. I'll check back with you in a month or two and see if the workload has lightened up any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom