CW 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I got my 3b wet and it multiplied...or I fed it after midnight? F'd if I remember how that works. :lol:
20180927_123709.jpg

Started by making a passenger side engine mount bracket that's appropriate length. More like 40 series than the long ass 60 series one, but the bolt pattern I drilled didn't fit, despite almost paying attention while drilling it.

Assumed it was due to general ineptitude, and the sneaky weasel I'd been drinking at the time

(don't drink sneaky weasel)

Turns out, after 20 years of savage abuse my chinese drill press finally had enough.

So all my holes were at random angles. Probably been that way for a while, been having issues with drill bits walking, figgered it was just the batch of bits I was using. :doh:

20180929_082911.jpg

So today, after another go at making the bracket at about 3am in the bowels of the hospital I did a little test fitting. With bj40 frame brackets, tucked in right behind the frame's 1hz mounts it sits about right.

Which got my sleep deprived brain thinkin jeebus that's close to fitting with the hz mounts...

20181003_153852.jpg

So test fit part DUH happened...

20181003_155445.jpg

Engine sits down on the mounts just fine. Bit low on drivers side but nothing a 1/2" spacer wouldn't fix, and I think overall it's about 4" further from the firewall than a 3b would sit in a stock 40 series. Which I'd be ok with, other than the rear driveshaft getting longer still.

So now of course the decision is, do I, A; use the 40 mounts and move engine back the 4", B; leave it as is, or C; move cab forward the 4".

I'll ponder all this tomorrow when I've actually slept, and my brain is functioning at a slightly higher capacity. Probably A or C tho. A would be easier, but C might be better.

Axle locations aren't totally nailed down yet or anything, so if I can monkeyfuck around with cab and engine and make life easier by not having to modify springs that might be ok, tho I'm sure I'll still need to get into spring ****ery.

The pale grey firewall is so I can see what I'm doing in the future working on this thing. Black firewalls seem to absorb light, and it's hard enough to see inside engine bays as it is.

I really like the new revision maple leafs. Turned out really well.

Haha, and your post above is hilarious! :rofl: Not sure I can provide any great recommendations on the engine mount question. However if it was me, and there was a chance I could make an OEM set of driveshafts work by getting the t-case in exactly the right spot, I'd probably be moving the engine mounts. Would you be able to get your hands on HZJ73 driveshafts? I should look up the part number, as they may cross to some other cruisers too....

Edit, looked up the driveshaft part numbers. Rear is specific to the 90+ medium wheel base (J73). Front is the same for the 90+ all wheel base (J70, J73 and J77). Makes sense... Although you're using older axles anyhow. Not sure if the flanges are different.

Last edited:
Thanks, tho I suspect that if any stock drive shaft works, it'll be 4 speed 60, or fj45. I'll be flipping 60 series springs out back which will ad about 6-7 inches to wheelbase.

If a stock shaft was close I could fudge that but I'm actually mulling the idea of doing a 2 piece rear shaft, then theoretically, I could have both shafts the same. On the longer wheelbase cruisers the shaft really hangs down. Always worried about bending the one on my 45. Be nice to avoid that.

Just a question of how to build the steady bearing.

Option A won.

20181004_161256.jpg

Ass end is on the cart, and mounts are just clamped, but it's roughly close, I'll need to move the heater valve if I leave it this far back.
I'm guessing a bj has a different variation...buggered if I remember .
20181004_155047.jpg

If you leave it like that, maintenance on the valve will be a bugger. What would be compromise?

If you leave it like that, maintenance on the valve will be a bugger. What would be compromise?
I'll probably move it forward 3/4 of an inch or so, but as little as possible. Even as it sits it's a couple inches from firewall, pretty close to where my old 45 was I think.

I'll get the tranny bolted up before I do any welding on the mounts tho in case something else is close.

Compromise is drive shaft length. Rear is gonna be a long bastard if I go one piece.

I was going to say my drill press upgrade is older than Vern, but it has an electric motor so it might not be :flipoff2:

I think the table alone weighs more than my chinese one :lol:

Might see if I can scrounge a 3ph motor from work, vfd's are quite cheap now, it'd be nice to slow it down as much as i want .
20181005_153502.jpg

That would be cool. 3ph motors are plentiful and cheap. It’s too bad, I threw a 1.5 hp 3ph into the recycling not that long ago... and I know how much you like free stuff :D

Yeah, I chucked one out a while back as well. I hadn't realized at the time that one of those plus a $150 vfd and you could have variable speed. Oh well, if I stumble across another one I may try it.

This old brute is actually slower than the Chinese one even with only having 5 speeds instead of 12. I could ad an idler pulley to it as well to step it down some more, which might be easier anyways.

and just so there's cruiser content...finished welding the corners, and put a little epoxy/410 on my magnificent welds...:lol:
20181006_115658.jpg

Good enough for the girls I know.

If I wanted perfect, I'd trick Graham into whoring himself out to me for low quality alcohol.

Haven't figgered out an elegent way to bend the bottom flange yet, probably wait till I lift it off to weld underneath so I have easier access...or just cut it off :lol:

I've always been a bit thankful I don't fit in the 45s, I gave it a go to be sure at the last frog hunt whilst deep into the keg attack. Lachlan's rental 45 confirmed the fact I hadn't shrunk.

This truck is going to be the dog's bollocks. Diesel Landcruiser, legroom, pickup box, LHD and with no doubt a screaming cheeseburger turbonium. Love it.

I'm going to invite myself over shortly... once you've completed all the overhead welding of course. :flipoff2:

I've always been a bit thankful I don't fit in the 45s, I gave it a go to be sure at the last frog hunt whilst deep into the keg attack. Lachlan's rental 45 confirmed the fact I hadn't shrunk.

This truck is going to be the dog's bollocks. Diesel Landcruiser, legroom, pickup box, LHD and with no doubt a screaming cheeseburger turbonium. Love it.

I'm going to invite myself over shortly... once you've completed all the overhead welding of course. :flipoff2:

Invite away. I have witch piss by the gallon at the moment.

Cheeseburger turbonium is the only kind... . :lol:

I'm not sure Lachlan really fits in a 45 either. He looks like a humpbacked praying mantis in that thing. :flipoff2:

Looks good, better there then rusting in my driveway!

For sure...I'm gonna have to bring some beer down one of these days (and a sober driver...:lol: )

some front clip ****ery.
20181012_152707.jpg

That 33 is sitting pretty close to where the stock bumpstop is. Hard to say 100% without a fender mocked up, I need to remove stock shock mount to get fender in right spot, but. ...the shock mounts are kinda holding up the engine at the moment. :hillbilly:

Might not need to move it forward much if at all. Reaching a point here where I need to go murder a bj60 so I can test fit drive shafts.

20181012_155259.jpg

I gave the ass end of the cab a squirt of paint. Not thrilled with the colour but it's just a $5 rattle can.
20181012_114514.jpg

And just so I could drink a beer and contemplate proportions I rolled another antique 33 up to it.
20181012_154745.jpg

Ritual disembowelment of a bj60...

I left the greasy 3b in the 60, and using the one I got from up island. Has half the miles and 1/100th the mung on the outside so may as well give it a shot. Won't have to worry about the other one rusting while in storage...:lol:

20181014_142924.jpg

Crammed it into the hole, and missed a photo opp of swmbo with AISIN imprinted in her hand when she made the mistake of walking by and offering to help as I was trying to lever this heavy ass lump into place and the crossmember got stuck...:rofl:

Tcase is just sitting on the cart, but I think the height isn't bad. I'll deal with rear mounts and such when I pop the body off again. Need to get it about an inch further back to be close to stock location I think. May also peak under that pto cover and see if the gear is in there. If it is, I think I'll steal the pto box off my 61 and put it on there. At some point I want to find a use for that freakin' thing.

Now I get to deal with that nasty old hump in the background. I could use a good hump, but I'm to cheap to pay for it...:hillbilly:

Think I might cut it in half so it's easier to remove, the back end being trapped under the seats is a pain in the ass in stock form. Seems to me that back foot or so could stay put and the front half would come out a lot easier. :meh:
20181014_152206.jpg

Good shifter location for a 40 series. Usually it's up under the heater. Is that the final spot?

You should use it to power a rotisserie for a pig roast!

That's actually not the worst idea you've ever had...although the diesel exhaust glazing might be a bit tangy for some people.

I built this thing for a greek dude I know a couple winters ago, I don't think they can go more than a few months without some sort of animal roast. :lol:
20161217_184624.jpg

I can relate to this. Absolutely love 45s but holy I literally cannot action the clutch pedal with my lanky ass. A local buddy did an aqualu 6” stretch tub and it’s a lot more manageable. I got cruiser fever again. Actually had to buy a pick up project myself. It’s only money right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom