CV Joint Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My inboard CV boot is leaking on my 07 GX-470. The boot itself is not cracked, the clamp isn't tight enough anymore and is allowing the grease to come out. Is it possible to refill the boot with grease and replace the clamp without having to replace the whole boot? My goal in doing this is to avoid removing the axle. Assuming so, does anyone know what size clamp? I don't mind having to buy the crimping tool.

This is the only way I’ve found to deal with the seep without taking the axle off and is probably frowned upon but does work. Have had them hold for several years. It’s a stainless clamp without sharp edges and I’ve used them a few different times with good results. They are a European style, beveled clamp. I ordered a box of 10 for next to nothing.
C4C40566-21FB-489C-B9CF-6BA7C8CB55EA.jpeg
C14CB3FF-2B72-47BA-8DD7-3BBE2775E554.jpeg

Thanks for the help! I found the clamps on Amazon as well. I'll post back with results.

Make sure you get the clamps with the curved edges so it doesn't cut your boot.

Inner CV is easier to service if you wish to re-pack the grease. Pull the CV, remove the big band and pull the CV off the shaft. (comes right off) Wipe it down on the inside and had pack another load of grease into it. Do note the INNER and the OUTER take different grease. The outer is traditional moly (black/gray) grease and the inner is Lithium (yellowish/white). Don't mix them! Put the CV back on and use a new large hose clamp to clamp down the CV. Do the same for the inner if its been weeping. Done.

NOTE: IF there is a chance the Outer also needs serviced, the time to do it is when you do the inner. The outer CV is like a birfield on FJ40/60/80 front end and held in place by a circlip you can not get to and have to destroy to pull the axle out of the outer CV. However you can re-boot the CV's with a basic Toyota CV boot kit (less than $50 per side AND has both the Inner and outer grease in mesured tubes, boots and bands) . You have to pull the inner CV OFF the axle first, easy to do with a snap ring puller, then both boots will slide off. You can wipe down the outer the best you can, then pack it with new moly grease. THen slide the outer boot into place, band it down and then do the inner.

Sure you make it sound simple! I watched the process on a video and I hated life doing my Birffs on my old 80 so I will be sub'ing this job out! Probably much easier on a lift rather than in your driveway.

Birfs on an 80 are just so time consuming to take the front end apart and put it back together with all the seals, felts and papers. Much easier on CVs. The hardest part on the CV's really.... just popping the inner CV out of the trans-axel. And that can be sped up using a small screwdriver to pry back the soft metal of the dust seal. Next put a larger pry tool in there and leverage the CV out of the transaxle, it just pops out. Its actually easier to do on a driveway as the truck on a lift is flat and once you pull that CV some gear lube is going to run out. But on the garage floor with jack stands the truck will lean away from you and keep the gear lube from running out. See lifts are not always the best thing! (ok they are pretty great overall)

Side note: If you wheel the GX, the best time to learn how to replace a CV is at home in your garage will all your tools, buddies to call, internet to ask questions, light to see, shelter from weather, food and water easily at hand etc. Like most things, it seems difficult but once you do it, your good to go when if you hear the dreaded "pop" on the trail.

How good is the non OEM booth sold by a couple vendors as high angle CV booth? My drivers side outer just start making noise. I caught the leak too late. I just bought a used one that look very clean but not sure I should replace the booth or just install it. I also need to do the passenger side.

Inner CV is easier to service if you wish to re-pack the grease. Pull the CV, remove the big band and pull the CV off the shaft. (comes right off) Wipe it down on the inside and had pack another load of grease into it. Do note the INNER and the OUTER take different grease. The outer is traditional moly (black/gray) grease and the inner is Lithium (yellowish/white). Don't mix them! Put the CV back on and use a new large hose clamp to clamp down the CV. Do the same for the inner if its been weeping. Done.

NOTE: IF there is a chance the Outer also needs serviced, the time to do it is when you do the inner. The outer CV is like a birfield on FJ40/60/80 front end and held in place by a circlip you can not get to and have to destroy to pull the axle out of the outer CV. However you can re-boot the CV's with a basic Toyota CV boot kit (less than $50 per side AND has both the Inner and outer grease in mesured tubes, boots and bands) . You have to pull the inner CV OFF the axle first, easy to do with a snap ring puller, then both boots will slide off. You can wipe down the outer the best you can, then pack it with new moly grease. THen slide the outer boot into place, band it down and then do the inner.

Can outers be wiped, topped off w/ appropriate moly greese on vehicle then re-clamped ?
I'm in same position as OP, axles fine both outers at the smaller inner (on axle shaft) end just weeping. I'd like to get more greese in there and reclamp w/o rebuilding or rebooting the axles...

Where can I find this part number? I've put a 2" OME medium duty kit on, and noticed both inner boots are leaking. Or am I better off getting the CVJ boots? I hear conflicting input...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom