Current fair market value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First of all, if I should post this in another forum let me know, I am not sure if it should be here or in the classifieds.
:(:(:crybaby::rolleyes:o_O It is a sad day when you have to consider selling your dream vehicle that has been with you for 7 years. I have always planned on keeping this rig forever and doing a v8 swap when I graduate school, but I am very close to finishing my education and I need to come up with money to pay for my last 2 semesters and I have invested so much already that I am willing to do anything to graduate at this point.

So I have officially decided to consider selling the rig. The rig is my only vehicle so in order to justify selling it I would have to get enough to buy a little used car to drive for a year and also net some cash to put torwards tuition and such. That being said I dont want to be that guy who thinks his rig is special and worth top dollar. I was hoping to get some input as to the real current fair market value for my rig.

1991 fj80, white, 270,000, clean title, 4x4 labs bumpers front and rear, sliders, warn 8274, ome 2", 4:88 regear, Detroit auto locker in rear, 315/75/16 Toyos with lots of tread, de-flared, Man a Fre heavy duty steering, caster correction via trunion bearings, lots of other little things, and a decent stereo. NO RUST but scratches from the bushes. No dents and only 1 collision when I was driving which was professionally repaired.

The rig has spent it entire life in vegas until I purchased it and the last 7 years in St. George Utah(no snow or salt). Again I just want to know what the true current value is that I should expect to get for the truck if I am a patient seller. Lots of maintenance records also.
Thanks guys
20191212_164549.jpg

Market value is determined by exposing it to the market and seeing what an able buyer is willing to pay for it. Anything anybody says here is just conjecture (especially with no photos).

My conjecture: $7k :flipoff2:

Market value is determined by exposing it to the market and seeing what an able buyer is willing to pay for it. Anything anybody says here is just conjecture (especially with no photos).

My conjecture: $7k :flipoff2:

Haha, I agree 100 percent, it's worth what you can sell it for or what I am willing to accept for it. I am really just looking for a good starting price. I know how much I need to let it go and if that amount is more than a realistic value than I dont want to waste my time or anyone else's by listing it for too much.
20190602_101221.jpg
20190512_144136.jpg
20190615_163958.jpg
20190719_210253.jpg

Interior and undercarriage are the relevant photos :)

Beautiful rig - hate to hear you are selling it. Make sure you introduce the seller to the 3fe crowd here (I.e. those in the know!).

Just a guess...I would say $6,500 to $ 8,000, depending on interior and how well it drives.

Pluses are the aftermarket goodies, and minuses are the 1991 and mileage.

I had a 1991 and loved it, despite the 3FE. They are underrated in my opinion. Currently own two 1996 models, one heavily modified and one stock with factory lockers.

Nice looking 80. I hope you end up keeping it.

I’d say around 10k. What’s the interior lookin like? You’ve got a sick rig, hopefully you hit the lottery and can keep it!

My guess is you'd be lucky to get around 6500 to 7000. I would hope you could get more but aftermarket bumpers/sliders rarely retain their value. If you find the right buyer than maybe but that can be hard to do. If it were me I would come up with an idea of how much money I needed to gain from the vehicle sale to pay for a replacement vehcle plus extra for likely needed maintenance on new said vehicle and how much you need from the sale to fund your college. Tally that up and post your vehicle for sale at that price. If no one buys it, it probably isn't worth it to you to sell it. You have a functional vehicle in your hands now that you like so it better generate enough in the sale to actually accomplish what you are hoping to with the funds gained from the sale.

Remember, there will always be another when you’re out of school and you can go through the build process again.

I wonder if you’d have better luck selling the bumpers/winch in the classifieds. If I were more local, I’d be all over those for near retail.

I live in SoCal, and I think that's a $5500-$6000 rig in my area. The high miles and 3FE are big knocks, and it does not have factory lockers. It's also old, a 1991. I don't know what other type of car you're thinking about getting and how much you're thinking you'd pay, but I can't think of too many cars I'd want to buy for less than about three grand. And any used car is a mystery, to some extent. If your truck is well baselined and you have made it reliable, I'm not sure the smart money move is to sell it, and that's setting aside the emotional attachment, which I'm sure for you is high. I'm not trying to be negative, it just seems like the few grand you might net (if that, after paying sales tax on a new car, and whatever maintenance that car might need) might not be worth the squeeze.

If someone is gifting you a good used car, then I get it. Otherwise, I would try to keep the 80 if at all possible. Just my two cents. Good luck, and early congrats on graduating. That's a big accomplishment.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am going to take my time over the next few weeks and get it cleaned up, fix one last thing, gather all my records, make a list of all the maintenance and mods, get a carfax done, take lots of pics of the interior, engine, and underneath, and list it for sale. I will decide for sure how much I need for a commuter car and if I can get that much and enough to cover a semester of tuition then I will have to let her go :confused:.

I guess my last question is what's the best website to list these rigs? Ebay, craigslist, facebook, ksl, Ih8mud, etc?

Thanks again

Reactions: RJH
My initial thought was 7k for the rig. Mileage is reasonable for a '91. But you need to find someone that appreciates a 3FE, and appreciates what you have added to the truck.

Letting her go will hurt, but sometimes you have to take a step back to take 2 steps forward. Focus on the education, get a good paying job, and then start over. Hope to see you post in the the 80-series registry sooner rather than later!

Let's start a GoFundMe account for this kid. Selling the truck is a losing proposition. I'm in for $20. Probably more if I get some more rye in me.

Have you tried whoring yourself our for tuition?

Are you on UTOR?

I think that 5-7k is fare to the right person. that being said I don't think that you would have enough profit to 1. buy a beater, 2. fix said beater or address whatever issues it may have, 3. title and reg new car, 4. pay for any ads that may have cost money to sell cruiser.

I think that you may be better off just keeping the truck as 1. you own it outright so no payments, 2. you have doen the work to it so you trust it to get you where ever when ever, 3. not the biggest market for the 3fe, but there is still a market

Keep it as you have much more than just money in it. Selling right now might be a losing proposition anyway..... I was under the impression your 80 had more than a 2” lift.

Your plan and reasoning restores my faith in sanity. While you obviously love this vehicle (we all love our cruisers), there are other things more important than a vehicle, schooling being one of them. I think selling this rig and buying a super cheap to buy (and to run) replacement vehicle is a good plan. Once you graduate, start working, and can afford a cruiser again, get one.

I argument that you have more into the vehicle than you will get out means nothing. In general, vehicles are not financial investments. You will almost always have more into a vehicle than you will get out. And the more you put in, the more you will lose (i.e. aftermarket parts).

Reactions: RJH
Your plan and reasoning restores my faith in sanity. While you obviously love this vehicle (we all love our cruisers), there are other things more important than a vehicle, schooling being one of them. I think selling this rig and buying a super cheap to buy (and to run) replacement vehicle is a good plan. Once you graduate, start working, and can afford a cruiser again, get one.

I argument that you have more into the vehicle than you will get out means nothing. In general, vehicles are not financial investments. You will almost always have more into a vehicle than you will get out. And the more you put in, the more you will lose (i.e. aftermarket parts).

Yes, I would agree I have already had a 200% return on the money spent on this toyota. The places I have been, experiences gained, and memories made in this old rig are priceless. If I could get enough to replace it with a commuter and pay for a semester I would be super happy. Like mentioned before being single and debt free, when I graduate I will be able to get another one and go all out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom