Current fair market value (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are trying to get money for school by selling that, and buying a DD? Where are you going to school, community college circa 1990?
Selling that rig may pay for your parking pass. I can see if gas were an issue, but you'll probably only get enough for a down payment.

As it is, FJ80's (even in white and with the lowish miles for being 28 years old) don't command a high price right now. If you do need to raise some capital, I'd recommend a rolling part out and parts swap. That winch and bumpers can net you close to $3,000 alone, and that's half the price of these reasonable quotes. It's also an easier sell as for you.

@leonard_nemoy, are you saying that you absolutely won’t be able to finish these last two semesters unless you sell the Cruiser? Have you exhausted all other avenues

You will be lucky to get $5k for it right now, if that, what with toilet paper emerging as America’s most sought after possession and ridiculous fear mongering by the media making this situation worse.

By the time you are ready to buy another one you’ll pay triple that for less of an 80 and then either “enjoy” someone else’s idea of what a Landcruiser is or spend the money (more) and time all over again for the same thing you already put money and time into. But, if there is no other way, finishing school takes priority and the 80 has to go. Either way, you are going to pay to have a Landcruiser. Take a minute to think about which way will cost less in the long run.

Last edited:
@leonard_nemoy, are you saying that you absolutely won’t be able to finish these last two semesters unless you sell the Cruiser? Have you exhausted all other avenues

You will be lucky to get $5k for it right now, if that, what with toilet paper emerging as America’s most sought after possession and ridiculous fear mongering by the media making this situation worse.

By the time you are ready to buy another one you’ll pay triple that for less of an 80 and then either “enjoy” someone else’s idea of what a Landcruiser is or spend the money (more) and time all over again for the same thing you already put money and time into. But, if there is no other way, finishing school takes priority and the 80 has to go. Either way, you are going to pay to have a Landcruiser. Take a minute to think about which way will cost less in the long run.
Very true, but I have exhausted all my resources.... no more financial aid, my parents can't pay it for me like 80% of the other people at school lol, and now I am worried that I won't be able to find a decent summer job to save up money. The worst part is I have to travel somewhere to another state next spring semester and do a full semester of clinicals full time without pay. It could be next door in Nevada or across the country in New York. Which is another reason I am tempted to sell the 80. I am not sure I would want to drive it across the country....

Very true, but I have exhausted all my resources.... no more financial aid, my parents can't pay it for me like 80% of the other people at school lol, and now I am worried that I won't be able to find a decent summer job to save up money. The worst part is I have to travel somewhere to another state next spring semester and do a full semester of clinicals full time without pay. It could be next door in Nevada or across the country in New York. Which is another reason I am tempted to sell the 80. I am not sure I would want to drive it across the country....

Have you exhausted all your student loan options? Selling the Cruiser to lighten the financial load is a good idea, but your net financial gain will be insignificant. A rolling part out to bring it back to stock, then selling the vehicle will be the most profitable.

in regards to driving cross country, the 3FE would be one of the more reliable choices. If you end up in South Carolina, gas cost becomes a non issue.

Apply for student loans, apply for grants. The Vulcan Science Academy is expensive.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="tacocat, Apply for student loans, apply for grants. The Vulcan Science is expensive.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I can only blame myself for not finishing school the first time when I was younger but now I am maxed out on student loans. I have applied for so many grants and scholarships but I am not a minority so no luck there. It sucks so much that if I had different colored skin I would get all kinds of extra federal assistance, scholarships, and grants. I still have the option of private student loans, which I really want to avoid, but I have a feeling it will be inevitable. I was really hoping to find a decent job over the summer but I kind of doubt it now.

Beggars can't be choosers. Get yourself a job at a 7 Eleven if you have to. After reading the others' posts, I wonder if your overall cost of ownership will be cheaper with the cruiser than with a used Nissan or Kia. Plus you can't get away into the mountains with an econobox.

You mentioned clinicals in a different state. What are you studying to be?

Beggars can't be choosers. Get yourself a job at a 7 Eleven if you have to. After reading the others' posts, I wonder if your overall cost of ownership will be cheaper with the cruiser than with a used Nissan or Kia. Plus you can't get away into the mountains with an econobox.

You mentioned clinicals in a different state. What are you studying to be?
Clinical laboratory science

Let's start a GoFundMe account for this kid. Selling the truck is a losing proposition. I'm in for $20. Probably more if I get some more rye in me.

Have you tried whoring yourself our for tuition?
I'm with you on this. I know times are tough but I will for sure contribute to a GoFundMe episode to ensure a guy can keep his cruiser. It's not like he his aiming to be a lawyer or a real estate agent. We all need clinical laboratory scientists these days...

Hell I’ll donate a couple bucks for you to keep your cruiser. Maybe my price is a little high but with 2k worth of front and rear bumpers plus all the work you’ve performed I personally would still stay around 10k but that’s just me. Hope it all works out for you

This is pretty sad, but being cheap but having money isn't the same thing as having no choice but to be cheap. Loving a vehicle, any vehicle, sucks to have to be cheap. So that being said I think there are plenty of cheap vehicles that can hold you over. You are essentially trying to find capital and in this case selling your 80. I think your 80 would get more on the east coast than what people have quoted you, but noticed i said "i think". Please don't think i am talking down to you by saying this... you probably have other things that you can repurchase easy or may have better cheaper options after you graduate and get in to the better paying job you want. For example if you have video game stuff, tvs, or tech stuff, they just loose value every day so sell what you can and will not need for school. you are moving in to a single purpose stage and anything that is just entertainment should go and be liquidated. Things you have that can earn you money you should leverage to earn money in your new complicated schedule. Also services, cable tv, streaming services etc all need to be reconsidered as little by little that stuff adds up. If you have any adult 2nd amendment stuff, keep what has sentimental value and sell the rest. Also like others have said consider selling the upgrades off your 80 and then selling it back closer to clean stock. I think you will get the most.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but baldilocks is right this is not the time to sale anything stocks are down, unemployment is higher than it's ever been, businesses are shutting down and more people are losing their jobs every day.
People are skittish at best.
On the bright side you own a really cool Cruiser that you can sleep in and deliver pizzas out of if necessary .
At this point it mite be better to take a semester off get whatever job you can and ride out the storm. Desperate time call for desperate measures.
In any case I wish you the best , good luck and stay well.

Clinical laboratory science

I know this doesn't help you much at this time, but after you graduate, you can be a lab officer in the Air Force. Steady pay check, free health insurance and a lower cost of living. Send me a PM if and when interested. I can help point you in the right direction.

[QUOTE="tacocat, Apply for student loans, apply for grants. The Vulcan Science is expensive.
I am not a minority so no luck there. It sucks so much that if I had different colored skin I would get all kinds of extra federal assistance, scholarships, and grants.
[/QUOTE]
Thats not entirely true. You also have to come from a hard knock life. I’m a minority. I didn’t qualify for any federal assistance.

I am not a minority so no luck there. It sucks so much that if I had different colored skin I would get all kinds of extra federal assistance, scholarships, and grants.
Thats not entirely true. You also have to come from a hard knock life. I’m a minority. I didn’t qualify for any federal assistance.
[/QUOTE]
I was mainly referring to the scholarships and grants.

I'm with you on this. I know times are tough but I will for sure contribute to a GoFundMe episode to ensure a guy can keep his cruiser. It's not like he his aiming to be a lawyer or a real estate agent. We all need clinical laboratory scientists these days...
I have never even considered something like a go fund me lol. I am not the most gifted with social media. But your right about needing clinical lab scientists and other medical workers. New York is working on an early graduation program for medical students, maybe I will get lucky and the accrediting agency for lab scientists will implement some kind of early graduation program..... Now more than ever I feel bad that I didn't finish college the first time around. My inner eagle scout really wishes I was graduated so that I could help with the current covid-19 pandemic.

This is pretty sad, but being cheap but having money isn't the same thing as having no choice but to be cheap. Loving a vehicle, any vehicle, sucks to have to be cheap. So that being said I think there are plenty of cheap vehicles that can hold you over. You are essentially trying to find capital and in this case selling your 80. I think your 80 would get more on the east coast than what people have quoted you, but noticed i said "i think". Please don't think i am talking down to you by saying this... you probably have other things that you can repurchase easy or may have better cheaper options after you graduate and get in to the better paying job you want. For example if you have video game stuff, tvs, or tech stuff, they just loose value every day so sell what you can and will not need for school. you are moving in to a single purpose stage and anything that is just entertainment should go and be liquidated. Things you have that can earn you money you should leverage to earn money in your new complicated schedule. Also services, cable tv, streaming services etc all need to be reconsidered as little by little that stuff adds up. If you have any adult 2nd amendment stuff, keep what has sentimental value and sell the rest. Also like others have said consider selling the upgrades off your 80 and then selling it back closer to clean stock. I think you will get the most.

Way ahead of you, I have already listed all my guns and ammo except for a .22 and ruger vaquero I inherited. Right now is definitely a seller's market for guns. I also have an xr650L I want to sell but it is such a great commuter bike for around town and it saves me a lot of miles off the cruiser and not to mention gas money so I want to wait until next fall to let it go.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but baldilocks is right this is not the time to sale anything stocks are down, unemployment is higher than it's ever been, businesses are shutting down and more people are losing their jobs every day.
People are skittish at best.
On the bright side you own a really cool Cruiser that you can sleep in and deliver pizzas out of if necessary .
At this point it mite be better to take a semester off get whatever job you can and ride out the storm. Desperate time call for desperate measures.
In any case I wish you the best , good luck and stay well.

Very good point, Especially where I basically have to travel and spend a full semester working full time for free. I could definitely live in the cruiser, especially if I end up somewhere out west with BLM and NFS land. I got access to a lot of camping gear, it would be a cold semester lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I definitely have a new take on the situation. I am so glad I was able to go back to school after my divorce so I will do whatever it takes to finsh, especially when I only have 1 semester of class work left. The good news is I have until August to figure my financing out so I can take my time. I am going to fix a few small things, get the rig cleaned up and detailed, put together a nice comprehensive add, and list it for sale. I will stay firm on the price I need to accomplish my goals and maybe get lucky. If not than as August approaches I will try to sell the bumpers and winch but keep the rig. Also I am going to try really hard to find a good paying job over the summer even if I have to travel. I can weld and also have a class B cdl. Unfortunately welders get paid crap where I live but I know in other states they can make some decent money.

Thanks again for the input guys, this community is the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom