Builds Cummins R2.8 Conversion build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am looking forward to hear about driving impressions of the 2.8. I've got a FJ60 with a 2F that will need a rebuilding not too far down the road. If this motor drives the FJ62 that Tor has well, I may pull the plug on the swap. Tor does great work and I know that the kit will be stellar. The biggest question is going to be cost (the motor, the kit, etc).

Our parts costs at this point have been on par with any LC9 or LS3 conversion using a new H55f. But if you decide to re-use your H42 then you'll save some dough.

I'll drive this old 2F out west from GA and hang out while you put one in my FJ60. Already have the new 55F in there. I quit my job so I have plenty of time! :smokin:

Gonna sell my cherry BMW to finance it. I'd rather drive the FJ60 - folks are rude to me when I'm in the bimmer. Hey, the guy at the dealership said I could drive like that! :flipoff2:

Here are some shots of the completed conversion using our larger air box instead of that little cone filter that Cummins provided.

20170731_163302161_iOS.jpg

20170731_163242558_iOS.jpg

20170731_163227314_iOS.jpg

20170731_163215238_iOS.jpg

So I'm really excited about this. I have a pretty heavy 80 series and use my truck for lots of long trips to the mountains and annual vacation to Baja.I don't expect to have a race car landcuiser. My top concerns are reliability and range. At the same time I don't want a truck thats painful to drive on the hwy especially is shelling out big time $$ for an engine I'll have to live with for a long time.

My engine has over 200K and I need to either rebuild it or do some sort of swap. What is your honest opinion about this engine in an 80 with bumpers, sliders, RTT, and gear for three weeks?

That is a clean swap. As many have asked about future swaps, awaiting kit Pricing and availability.
Looks to be a home run.
:beer:

Sounds superb. How is it going trying to burn off that full tank of fuel? Make a dent in it yet?

Sounds great!

To me it looks great - but wrong at the same time!! A 4cyl 2.8L powering a Landcruiser just doesn't seem right! I know most car manufacturers (at least in the aus market) seem to be going with smaller cubic capacity engines in their 4x4's, but Landcruisers always have big, lazy high cubic-capacity engines that just keep going... Now every time I see the C2.8 on the side of a Foton, I wonder how it would go in my 60 (and how long it would last...)

To me it looks great - but wrong at the same time!! A 4cyl 2.8L powering a Landcruiser just doesn't seem right! I know most car manufacturers (at least in the aus market) seem to be going with smaller cubic capacity engines in their 4x4's, but Landcruisers always have big, lazy high cubic-capacity engines that just keep going... Now every time I see the C2.8 on the side of a Foton, I wonder how it would go in my 60 (and how long it would last...)

That's just the thing, it's not for everyone. If you like big, heavy, lazy power, then go stick a 454 in your 60. If you want something designed this century and want a bunch of power, but in a nimble package, something like this 2.8 Cummins is the ticket.

I wouldn't call a 4.2L, 256CI 2F a high cubic-capacity engine either though :p

That air box it's a beauty .. !

that would work with a safari snorkel ?

Torfab - is that air box available to purchase as a stand alone component? I have one of those "little cone" filters on my 12H-T right now.

That's just the thing, it's not for everyone. If you like big, heavy, lazy power, then go stick a 454 in your 60. If you want something designed this century and want a bunch of power, but in a nimble package, something like this 2.8 Cummins is the ticket.

I wouldn't call a 4.2L, 256CI 2F a high cubic-capacity engine either though :p

How does this thing handle performance wise? I'd be interested to see a head to head comparison versus a 5.3 powered 60 series.

I don't think that would be a fair comparison....

After having a 5.3 & a 42+gal fuel tank under my rig for a few years now... i would do the R2.8 for the mileage range alone...

I rather have the ability to go further and not necessarily faster....

Torfab - is that air box available to purchase as a stand alone component? I have one of those "little cone" filters on my 12H-T right now.

At this time that air box is not available for purchase. We still need to work out the bugs, standardize it for multiple platforms, etc.

I don't think that would be a fair comparison....

After having a 5.3 & a 42+gal fuel tank under my rig for a few years now... i would do the R2.8 for the mileage range alone...

I rather have the ability to go further and not necessarily faster....

I'm not saying it would be fair, I'm just saying it would be interesting. Similar to the DED episode where they compared 3 engine options for TJs, including the R2.8.

At this time that air box is not available for purchase. We still need to work out the bugs, standardize it for multiple platforms, etc.
:crybaby: thanks anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom