CSF Radiator Drain Plug Extension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone found a pipe to extend the drain plug on a CSF radiator?

I installed a new one in my 1968 FJ40, and the plug is quite hidden up in the frame.

It appears the thread is a 11 mm by 1.75, just a guess. 1/4 pipe is too large, 1/8 too small, 7/16 - 14 too large.

I rang up CSF, I was told they do not have any technical information, drawings, etc. They would not provide it even if they did as I am a retail customer and they only work with sellers. Seems to me CSF doesn't manufacture, just import and distribute.

The rep. suggested I contact the supplier I purchased from, which I did and they stated they only sell, no technical info.

So if anyone has installed an extension on theirs, I would appreciate the specifics.

Not sure if @ToyotaMatt ’s extension will fit, he can give his specs.

Has anyone found a pipe to extend the drain plug on a CSF radiator?

I installed a new one in my 1968 FJ40, and the plug is quite hidden up in the frame.

It appears the thread is a 11 mm by 1.75, just a guess. 1/4 pipe is too large, 1/8 too small, 7/16 - 14 too large.

I rang up CSF, I was told they do not have any technical information, drawings, etc. They would not provide it even if they did as I am a retail customer and they only work with sellers. Seems to me CSF doesn't manufacture, just import and distribute.

The rep. suggested I contact the supplier I purchased from, which I did and they stated they only sell, no technical info.

So if anyone has installed an extension on theirs, I would appreciate the specifics.
FWIW - last year I installed a new CSF 2888 radiator that had a plastic drain plug. I removed the plug and installed a homemade extended drain line. The plastic plug that CSF uses is a M10x1.5 unit.

I copied GA Architect but haven’t put it in yet. Before installing, I did get a generic m10x1.5 metal drain plug from the auto parts store because I just didn’t trust that plastic one it came with.

When I get out to the shop, I will try a 10 mm bolt. I thought I measured the threads at 1.75 pitch, but will redo when the temps get warmer and I heat the shop.

I tried a 3/8 bolt and it slipped right in. But 3/8 is slightly smaller than 10 mm, so will try a 10 mm. Thanks.

The 50 mm extension looks like what I was thinking. I just need to verify the radiator thread size and pitch.

Here is a good thread about this very subject:

See post #13 & #14

FWIW - Here is my petcock extension & parts I used for my CSF 2888 radiator:

1. Fragola 460410-BL 4AN to 10MM x 1.5 adapter
2. (2) Fragola Pro-Flow AN Hose End -4AN
3. Fragola 480604-BL 4AN Flare Plug
4. Fragola Black Braided Pro-Flow AN Hose -4AN

IMG_8499.jpg

IMG_8503.jpg

Man I think I just went with the plastic plug that came with it.

But when you pull that plug, it will create an epic mess under the truck, as coolant goes everywhere.

When I get out to the shop, I will try a 10 mm bolt. I thought I measured the threads at 1.75 pitch, but will redo when the temps get warmer and I heat the shop.

I tried a 3/8 bolt and it slipped right in. But 3/8 is slightly smaller than 10 mm, so will try a 10 mm. Thanks.
I was able to make an extension using 1/8 NPT bits.

I tapped one nipple with a 10 x 1.5 mm die, which is slightly smaller diameter than the 1/8 NPT nipple. Then added a rubber coated fiber washer, drain petcock on the other end.

The plastic plug that came with the CSF radiator is quite buried in the radiator support frame and off center making it difficult to access, and messy.

Not pretty, but functional and easy to access.
20221129_165756.jpg

Keep it nylon and not seized so you don't need excessive means to open it. Also, those threads were never intended to hold all that metal bouncing around like the OEM radiator did, that said I don't care if it works. Buy a $5 tarp if you are concerned about cleaning up a mess.

Pull the lower radiator hose if you want to not discover that your OEM or aftermarket radiator petcock is frozen. Don't forget to bleed the block drain.

Thanks for the advise. I did put antisieze on the petcock, hopefully to prevent freeze up.

This extension is shorter and lighter than the one on the original radiator.

I guess we'll see how it goes, can always remove the lower hose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom