Crazy condensation on windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It the past few weeks as it's gotten cooler my car is experiencing a lot of condensation. So much so that I have to have the heat on the front windshield so high that I need to have the windows open. After work when I came out to the truck it looked like some teenagers had been making out in there all day. It was so bad that water had pooled and was dripping from the inside of two of my windows.

Any suggestions on remedies? I can clear the front four by rolling them down and they'll eventually stay clear once the cab gets hot enough but the rear sliders windows are perpetually fogged.

I don't have working AC if that makes any difference. Can't imagine why it would though. This has been an issue once temps were regularly less than 55 or so.

Check your carpets for wetness, sounds like you have a leak somewhere.

And the headliner too, the way its been pissin in seattle your sunroof may not be keeping up with the volume of water. Ask me how I know...

It's dry. The floors are dry and the liner too. I checked them thinking the same thing. Though I suppose there could be areas I missed.

I would definitely look into damp floorboards, however I would also pull the jack cover in the rear and look for a puddle in your lower quarter panel. If it's on one side it will be on the other too. That interior moisture consdensates because of the interior heat of your cruiser rising into the cab from the drivetrain. Heats up any atmospheric moisture in the cab. You could always try a few of those big desiccant containers for boats if you can figure it out.

a deteriorated seal around the steering column was the source of much humidity in our 80 in the humid summer of Louisiana

Long shot but check your coolant level....you may have a small leak in the heater core which is introducing condensation... I actually heard "Click and Clack" ID this problem once. Ps don't forget the rear heater core as well.

AC is basically a dehumidifier, get it working and it will quickly kill condensation on the windows.

Rear cargo window gutters are known to clog and drain/leak into wheelwell area. sunroof drains . and front window seal lower corner. all these are very common culprits that can show no signs of moisture......but its there if you poke around

Yeah, it's wet in there somehow.

A temporary work around is to run the rear heat. This is a great help in the winter when you often can't help but track in snow, which melts and makes condensation.

The sunroof drains into the rocker panels, if the rocker drains are clogged it may introduce moisture into the cabin.

I had the drains behind the rear wheel wells plug up causing the same type of window fogging.

A leaking heater core can cause this also, don't forget you have two heater cores.

Working AC. And rear sliding Windows leaking.

I had horrible condensation issues because my AC wasn't working. Fixed it about a month ago. No more condensation issues!!

And stop mouth breathing. That'll help too! :flipoff2:

Well I had recently cleaned the rocker drains. They work like a champ. There is however pooled water in each of my rear storage compartments. Is a clogged drain the likely culprit here?

Well I had recently cleaned the rocker drains. They work like a champ. There is however pooled water in each of my rear storage compartments. Is a clogged drain the likely culprit here?

Yep. You need to pressure wash the crap (literally) out of both rear windows, the tracks & drains. You're already shop-vac bound to pull it out of the back quarters, so alittle more isn't anything.

Flush through, pull all wet carpet, or setup a space heater in it (use care not to burn your truck, it's been done) - ideally a $30 cheapie with a fan on it. Get it dry once real well & coat your interior quarters with baby powder - streaks in it will identify any failure.

Also, realize our rain last weekend was near peninsula type precip - that was a rain that really our 80's (or any vehicle) can only stay bone dry for so long & we had 3-4 days with crazy rain & wind. Mine was out in it & it was just the last few days mine bounced all the way back, and I ran my a/c the whole time, only defeating thing was my dog is in my 80 most of the time & he's a window fogger on his own.

Don't feel bad, I left the sunroof in the vent position overnite one of the days too - washed the fr seats a little, and dampened the floor.

Moist air and temp difference between inside/outside is what causes it. I had the same thing happen on cold days with no working AC. I also had leaky rear quarter panels. So I used RainX defogger available at any auto parts store and it kept all fog off the windows, even with the heater on and windows closed on a cold day. The RainX did the job. Now I have my AC running, so defrost will work again and fogging is not a problem.

Last edited:
There is actually a small 1" hole with a plastic plug behind the rear wheel wells for draining these areas. Won't get it completely dry but pulling the trim to run a shop vac isn't absolutely necessary.

Also: make sure your jack works. water dripping on it over the long term can cause the mechanism to rust rendering it inoperable when you REALLY need it. Ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom