correct fuel lines setup in a 40 series diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone.
I been trying to start my 1978 BJ40LVK since is been sitting too much. Engine crank but doesn't fired. Checked everything and found that when I try to start the engine feeding fuel from a small canister , the engine fired and runs fine. But when I connect rubber hose to steel lines coming from fuel tank it doesn't start. I suspected a lack of fuel so added 10 gallons. Still didn't start. Later I tried disconnecting the hose from priming pump and started sucking trying to get fuel from tank to engine bay in order to fill the lines with diesel. Then realized every time I produced vacuum by sucking I fell bubbles. I repeat for 20 minute and the lines never filled . Conclusion: I had bad cracked, dry rotten hoses. Next day went under my rig: found 1 (1/4'') hose coming from ''fuel vapor separator''? and 1 (5/16'') coming from tank's bottom. Both hoses are connected with a ''T'' and then goes to steel feeding lines that goes to priming pump. I think this explains why I fell bubbles in fuel feeding line every time I try to suck diesel. Now I want to fix this problem but have some questions for you, fellas:
1) Is correct that a diesel 40 series has a "vapor fuel separator'' normally found in gasoline version?
2)If so: where should I connect this hose since it actual configuration provides air to the fuel feeding lines making impossible to start my engine?
I tried to find some info on Internet but only found about the gasoline version...that's how I discovered the ''fuel vapor separator''.

I think Is possible the PO installed a gas tank Instead of a diesel tank, perhaps due to lack of parts availability. I found my tub,hood and front fenders are different colors so maybe PO sourced parts ( including fuel tank) from others vehicles...

Thanks in advance!

hi verdeolivo, the bj 40 doesn't have a "fuel vapor separator" , the bj 42 has a fuel sedimenter attached to the chassis .

if your is a 40 pre 1980 the tank is under the passenger seat so the fuel line run directly from the tank to the priming pump

do the same : run the fuel line from tank to priming pump , purge and go !

hope it help

i read that the bj is sitting from a lot , i would add some engine oil or atf (like 1 liter in a 40-50 of diesel) to lubricate all the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom