Coolant leaking bad!! Need advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ive got a 1980 Bj40, with a very bad coolant leak that’s coming from The engine,
im not sure what I can do about it, that’s is why I’m here.

Ive Tried to include the best photos I could take of the issue, Circled the leaking spot in red in 2 pics and in the pic with out red you can actually see the stream of coolant flowing out like it’s pissing itself. it’s on the drivers side near the dip stick

my questions are:
1. can it be fixed?
2. What needs to be done to fix it?
3. Why this might have happened?
4. Do you know a mechanic who works on imported landcruisers?

5. Is it crazy to weld this problem away?

history of the vehicles problem.
In summer It Was driving fine no problems, then i winterized it and sat it for about 6 months, got back to it to drive it again, first drive back it over heated, noticed there wasn’t enough coolant, filled it with coolant, ran fine for about 45 mins then coolant going everywhere, that’s when I discovered this profuse leak and it’s where abouts.

13DF9CCF-F1ED-4BC9-9B8D-83052DD1DDFB.jpeg
C3421DB7-F98A-4D22-8217-4356B5640B01.jpeg

FB857EF5-BF21-4C24-B8FE-12BC01D3C364.jpeg

It's a core plug, some call it a freeze plug. They are replaceable. Looks like some disassembly maybe required to get to it.

You can buy a master freeze plug installation kit. Or source it separate. For example, SOR has the plugs by year(s) available. I think you can pick up the tools at harbor freight. Maybe check the FAQ’s for DIY instructions.

You can buy a master freeze plug installation kit. Or source it separate. For example, SOR has the plugs by year(s) available. I think you can pick up the tools at harbor freight. Maybe check the FAQ’s for DIY instructions.
Thank you, do you think it’s something where I replace all of them? Or just the faulty one?

Looks like it did what it was meant to, hopefully saved your block from cracking. I don`t think it was faulty, you probably had more water than antifreeze and it froze and expanded, popping the plug. Probably time to take it apart, check for damage and replace them.

I’m seeing a bunch of folks talking about installing a block heater to avoid problems like this, is there a specific freeze plug on the block you would remove to put the heater in? Or can you just put it in any freeze plug space?

Looks like it did what it was meant to, hopefully saved your block from cracking. I don`t think it was faulty, you probably had more water than antifreeze and it froze and expanded, popping the plug. Probably time to take it apart, check for damage and replace them.
X2 ^^^
If the “freeze plug“ had not worked, you potentially, would have a much bigger problem. But from you photo, it looks like it was punctured. The plug seems to be seated in the block still. The leak looks as if it’s coming from a hole in the plug.

Bottom line. It needs replaced. Compare it to the other plug in you photo. Inspect them all...

Just out of curiosity, what flavor antifreeze are you using? After your repair make sure you flush you coolant system.
Burp your system after adding new coolant.

Just as an FYI, these openings/plugs in the blk were not designed to be freeze plugs. They are really core plugs. To create the water jackets the water jacket areas were filled with sand to create a void in the casting during the casting process. After the block was casted, the sand is removed thru these holes. It just so happens that if the coolant freezes and expands it most likely pushes the plugs out. So, they were commonly refered to as "freeze plugs". I've seen many blks Crack internally and externally and not push out the core plugs.

I agree with Chungas, the plug looks like it was puctured or most likely rusted thru. I'd at a minimum, replace the ones that you can get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom