Convert to Chevy or Not (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.exportcr.com
I have a '76 BJ40.

Someone wired the two batteries in series instead of parallel and may have fried the starter, glow plugs, and many other things.

Before I sink a lot of $$ into fixing it, I am wondering about whether I should go ahead and convert it with a small block Vortec. I know the conversion will cost more, but just wondering what your opinion would be to convert it or not.

p.s. It isn't in good enough shape to be a show car, so keeping it original may not increase the value.

And from the non-diesel side of this conversation, stuff a Vortec into your rig as fast as you can. Actually you could ask for a freebie copy of my snail mail "Downey V8 Installation Instruction Manual" and read up on the conversion before you spend a dime.

I love diesels, and I'd do a gas - but I would sell the BJ40 and buy an FJ40 that someone's already done the swap. There's a lot of value to some for the BJ, so why not have you cake and eat it too? Just by way of comparison, I looked at 2 FJ40s from the same seller, one was converted to diesel Toyota diesel FJ40 (so in essence a BJ40), the other the one I bought. Price difference was 8k for the diesel, 2k for mine... he sold the diesel very soon after for nearly what he was asking for it.... that said, I'd love to build a diesel for my wife... but that's a project for much much later.

Do it and do it right, 350 chev it
image.jpeg

If you never intend to sell it the. I'd do what you want to do to it. There are plenty in the US who will buy the motor. However, if you want to enjoy it and have it appreciate then don't swap. im always suprised what these rigs are going for

If you can get the parts that were fried, then by all means, fix the diesel.
But, if the parts you need aren't available ,or are very hard to get, a Vortec might be the way to go.

I can't believe that you can convert for less than 10x what any fried parts might cost.
Don't do it.

Everybody wants what they can't have. Down here the baddest trucks have V8's. In N/A diesels are rare. Did this help? Probably not. I'd fix the B.

HI Bud, i am going the other way, fix the diesel, my fairly new SBC 350 is coming out (only done 4K miles) but managed to find a 3B for good money, wont miss the V8, cant wait to drive it, hopefully in about 4 weeks it will all be done. fix the B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom