Convert A442F to full-hydraulic? (from electric) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it possible to swap the valve bodies so that you could make an electric-controlled A442f transmission to be full-hydraulic only? I would also be converting to the correct shift lever as well.. Any insights if this is possible?

Last edited:
I think the A440 has hydraulic passages on the rear end that the 442 does not have. I don’t think A440 valve body will transfer to the A442. But it might be possible to put an A442 hydraulic valve body in the electric one? Not sure. I do know someone with more knowledge than I will chime in. Lol.

OK, thanks. yeah I think the model #s are the same, A442f, just maybe the difference of electric or hydraulic control (?). It looks like from some other comments I found on the net that it may just be the actual control mechanisms that are different (solenoid vs hydraulic servo valves). That person in the other case was looking to go the opposite direction, hydraulic to electric.

Last edited:
Fully hydraulic A442F's exist on early diesel trucks. Likely some differences in the valve body between gas and diesel however.

You never said why you wanted to make the change from electric to Hyd. so why the change?

I would love to do this so I could stand alone my engine and get the new turbo kit coming out.

I’ve heard that the hydraulic torque converter and gas won’t swap on the A442. So I’m sure there’s differences. Not sure how many.

bump on old thread i'm still interested to see if there is a answer to this.

i am also interested in knowing the answer, as i have put a A442f electric gas onto my 1hdt (that had the A440f hydraulic) thinking that the 442f was the hydraulic model comming from a 92, but it is not. has the 1hdt converter. fits goes and runs just wont shift gear and does not have any over drive 4th gear

just did a quick search looks like the cases are different part numbers so i can only assume there different. need someone to confirm

electronic
35104-60100

hydro
35104-60020

Worked it out cheers. The anwer is no as the electronic one has over drive and that is a planetary gear on its own. I am going to turn mine into a tiptronic only for a while

Wiring harness, shifter and trans ecu will be different = alot of work.

It takes some serious work and tune it is another job in it"s self, I have one on my 343F and it is really good, but I don't have a gas motor

A442f full hydraulic valve body has some different springs and valves. The governor springs are different, the pump gear is essentially the same, the torque converters are different. As stated that all means nothing due to one having overdrive and the other not. An earlier A440f from a 62 or fj80 could work though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom