Contemplating a 100 purchase - truck and sedan replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I have been thinking about selling my truck for a while. I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado Z71 (Extended cab). I bought it in December 04 and it had 95K miles on it. Hour meter showed high speed (highway) miles. Over the last 12 years, I have put another 110K miles on it but I really only drive it on the weekends or if I need to haul or tow something. The ONLY reason I am considering selling is that my kids, 4 and 6, don't have much room in the extended cab and I want to get a crew cab. I am not looking for a brand new truck.

I drive an '07 Camry to work every day. The Camry has 180K on her and I am thinking of doing a 2 for 1 swap. Sell the truck..... then trade the car in on something else and pay cash for it. I don't want or need new but I will likely make this my DD for a few years. I will still have the 40 as a third vehicle if needed. I have driven the car for almost 5 years and I don't want to drive a sedan any longer.

With that said, I was thinking about another Silverado in a Crew cab, 4wd. Although I don't use my truck bed every day, I use it at least every two weeks. I am not sure I want to go full on truck-less... But... I wandered over to the 100 section on MUD and I REALLY like the 100 series LC. I am thinking I could get one of those as my DD and replace the Camry and possibly replace the truck, even if for only short period of time.

So... any of you guys drive a 100 series daily? Regrets? Love it? Also, in my search for vehicles for sale, I swear, the LX470 seem to be more reasonably priced (cheaper) than the LC.

I have three options:
1) buy one in the 99-02 range with almost the same money I can get from just the Camry (I may have to put a little with it)
2) buy a 06-07 in the $15-19K range which would likely leave no room for another truck, at least until I saved a while for it.
3) buy a crew cab truck and forget about another cruiser in the driveway....

I would post this in the main pages but thought I would see what you guys had to say locally first. None of these decisions need to be quick, I am just in the early planning stages. Oh, I am not dropping $50K+ on a 200 series before you make that suggestion. :)

What do u use the truck for? If not hauling anything heavy then buy a cheap used truck and a nicer 100 series or lx. Does the truck have to be a full size?

I have daily driven a 100 for a few years and I love it. Awesome vehicle.

I tow my tractor sometimes with the truck. The tractor weighs right at 2900#, add implements and the trailer and I am usually at 5500-6000#. Other than that, lawn mowers, chainsaws, etc. I am thinking that a small trailer could substitute for the truck bed if needed.
As for a truck, yes, I would need a full size. I'm 6'5" and a Taco wouldn't cut it.

I may be able to swing trading the Camry for the 100 and just put some money with it if needed. Lots of variables. I drive the car for better fuel mileage. I commute around 50 miles RT each day (not terrible). The truck sees hauling in the bed and on the hitch and gets driven every weekend during deer hunting season. I could use the 100 for that purpose with a hitch rack on the back. I already have one for the wife's Honda Pilot.

I don't need 4 vehicles like I have now. I'm just having a hart time figuring out how to somewhat duplicate what I have now without swapping the car and the truck for a crew cab truck to haul the family in as well. As mentioned, if my current truck was a crew cab, I wouldn't consider letting it go.

Get a 100 and a utility trailer. Good to go.

Wife DD's an 06 LX470 and she says it is her favorite vehicle she has ever owned. I love it too, its a great blend of off pavement capability and pavement pound'er all wrapped in an extremely comfortable and luxurious cabin with a silky smooth V8 :D. I use it to tow my other cruisers around and it does a fine job of that. I also kitted it out last summer and took it on a trip from the Mexican border to Canadian border all offroad, the AHC (adjustable suspension damping) was the perfect cure the thousand miles of was board roads we covered. It's just a great all round versatile vehicle!

So my Advice is DO IT!! Buy an 06-07 with the lowest miles and best maintenance history you can afford.
IMG_0822.JPG

dsc_0545-jpg.1104023

dsc_0403-jpg.1104021

dsc_0261-jpg.1104020

dsc_0130-jpg.1104017

When people ask me they want an 80 I usually ask why. If they say they want to have something more capable and more comfortable than their 60 or 40 but many use it for daily driving and light wheeling I tell them to skip the 80 and get a 470. The only drawback to a 100 series or 470 is the front diff. If you dont lift it and put huge tires on it, or drive like Jeremey then it's not an issue. One of the most cush rides. I could drive for days in that truck. That being said it's an awesome DD. Ours has 240k on it and we will easily get another 100K. Only maint really is timing belt and a few other small things.

We have a 99 with 140,000 on it and still love it after 12 years. Some regular maintenance and upgraded brakes is all we have put in to it. One hiccup with a fuel pump that went out but that isn't some unimaginable event. Tows well but that was one of the ideas to justify the brakes.
Eventually,we will get another and this will become a toy.

And yes if I could do it now that Lexus would be in the driveway!

That's nice... Clean and nice. I would love to have a cargo system in the back of one like that. Anyone know details on whether this is a custom cargo system or is available? I can't quite tell from the pics and the description.
Home

That's nice... Clean and nice. I would love to have a cargo system in the back of one like that. Anyone know details on whether this is a custom cargo system or is available? I can't quite tell from the pics and the description.
Some guys in MS have been discussing a home brew cargo/shelf system. You'll find some measurements for 100 series cargo box design they came up with. There's a lot of other chit/chat in this thread but a few key posts with pics... posts #1101 and #1127 and #1140.
Cottonland Overland Opine Thread

Really timely posting. I'll be anticipating a healthy return on my TDI buyback (its paid for) and have been thinking I'll either go back to a Duramax or find a used 100 or 470 in the 12ish range. My last Duramax was a 2011 4x4 slt crewcab, which was overkill for the few times a year I needed to haul or tow something (but damn I miss having a truck).

That said - what would towing expectations be with the Toyota V8?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom