Confession of a die-hard Land Cruiser guy......I bought a Trekker and I love it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Maybe you should get a parts hauler for your fleet?

Maybe you should get a parts hauler for your fleet?

Hauling parts is not my problem.....lol.....trying to not buy any more cool trucks is what I am working on :)

Sweet truck for sure....hope it brings all the money.

Let me address the dealer/port installed air on Japanese trucks in the 80's thing. I worked at a Dodge/ Mitsubishi dealership in the mid 80's and installed AC on new cars. The Japanese trucks were all imported without air to reduce tariffs on them. They all had knock out plugs in the firewall and the inserts in place to install AC. We installed the same kit as the port installed AC. An install took about 4-5 hours I would often do 2 a day. It was cheaper for the dealer to get the truck with no ac and add it later if needed. The higher end cars mainly had factory AC. The cheaper cars were mainly port or dealer air.

Got around to messing with the speakers for Trekker. Went with a 6.5" shallow mount in my cool fiberglass kick panels. Turned out pretty good. Sound is maybe the worst sounding system ever created BUT....no holes, no mods. Works for me. I'm such a low end stereo person, it actually sounds really good.

Shallow speakers....Pioneer 6.5"
20200111_152446.jpg

My fiberglass kick panels with bump outs. Never really paid attention to the left side being way different than the right side as far as bump outs go. Not really sure why....there is nothing in that area.
20200111_152553_HDR.jpg

Pretty basic speaker install....had to cut down the kick panel about 2" or something.
20200111_154003.jpg

Fit right in.....didn't even need mounting screws. Once the door edge trim was put back in, the thing secured itself nicely. I think I'll make an upper bracket for it OR use a screw that held on the door sill scuff plate....noticed a hole in the kick panel for that.
20200111_155002_HDR.jpg

20200111_155010_HDR.jpg

Driver's side took a lot more work.

The tan box was going to be an issue. Thought about relocating it until I read what it was...emissions control module. I'm pretty sure that isn't really needed....so onto the shelf for Trekker's take off parts it goes.
20200111_155022.jpg

There were also remnants of the old plastic kick panel. Too bad it got destroyed somewhere along the way. Might match the new fiberglass pieces to this color.....going to take some time to think about it though.
20200111_155133.jpg

Lots of trimming on this side due to the hood release cable. This speaker fit way differently than the passenger side and I'm not liking it. I think I'm going to cut it all apart and move things around so it looks like the left side.

20200111_164008.jpg

Speaker sits WAY back in the foot well....maybe not enough to worry about. I think that once I paint or wrap the kick panels and put on a grille(will use an OEM looking grille), they may just blend right in.

20200111_170137.jpg

Nice. I think the computer controls the idle control solenoid. It may not idle in stock configuration.

Nice. I think the computer controls the idle control solenoid. It may not idle in stock configuration.

Seems to be pretty happy without it. I'll probably have my techs have a look at it and see what it does....maybe relocate it somewhere else. Not a lot of room under that dash.

Cool. A lot of these carb trucks have had the idle solenoid directly grounded thereby bypassing the computer.

Cool. A lot of these carb trucks have had the idle solenoid directly grounded thereby bypassing the computer.

Must be something like that because it starts just like it did when cold....runs the same when warm. All seems well. And no check engine light :)

😂That’s the light next to the low blinker fluid light I think.

Did I miss a post/thread on these cool kick panels? And did that post end with how to order a set? ;)

Did I miss a post/thread on these cool kick panels? And did that post end with how to order a set? ;)

They come from this guy toyotafiberglass-keepin' the drive alive

He has some cool stuff.....just a little tough to order from. Took a little bit of time but everything I got from him was great.

In addition to these, I bought a rear 1st gen 4runnner fiberglass rear bumper with end caps.....we'll cut it down and use it on the Trekker. Needs a rear bumper I think. 4runner ones look really good on them...

Where'd the cool brown floor mats come from? Vintage parts that came with the truck?

Where'd the cool brown floor mats come from? Vintage parts that came with the truck?

I think those are Lloyds mats. I liked the pattern on them...

I like the pattern too, definitely a good match for that era vehicle. Thanks for the lead, looks like they call those "Northridge All Weather" models.

I like the pattern too, definitely a good match for that era vehicle. Thanks for the lead, looks like they call those "Northridge All Weather" models.

Northridge sounds familiar.

I'm going to get a set of mats from these guys next......their stuff is killer

Coco's seem to be pretty popular with the European & exotic car crowds. As I typed that, I realized you likely know that better than I do... Ferrari's etc in the background of your Toyota photos!

Coco's seem to be pretty popular with the European & exotic car crowds. As I typed that, I realized you likely know that better than I do... Ferrari's etc in the background of your Toyota photos!

They're just an old school cool custom mat.....and some of their new stuff is super cool. Particularly their vinyl stuff. I think it would be perfect in any vintage ride. I ordered one of their sample kits and it was really impressive....they can custom do any shape.

We used to build some wild mats at my shop....mostly mats with carbon fiber inlays. Even did a set of mats for a customer with illuminated GTR badges. Lol. It was criminal what we would get for one-off mats. They were bitchin'.

It’s criminal that you just used the word “bitchin”! :flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom