Combination Switch (turn signals and wipers) Tech. For $25 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I came across a thread the other day about a part called Ultra Power TW35 from rock auto. I looked up the part and its only 25 bucks so I ordered one to check out and heres some notes from it.

This is a link to the part, its from an early toyota pickup

So the way the combination switch works is that its a plastic base with a rocker arm attacked to it with a spring and ball bearing that has indentions for your turn signals. on the back there are a few modules screwed to the back of it for things like your wipers, your headlights, and your turn signals. This base on the TW35 is literally identical to the one in the FJ60 and 62.

The main difference with this one is how the headlight switch attaches to the base and the wiper switch, as its got a "mist" function that is pretty useless, and the turn signal cancel ring (the circular thing in the middle).

That being said, if you have something that goes bad on your FJ60/62 combination switch, you can use this one to fix it. All of the stuff on your current combination switch will screw to this one if you are only looking for the base.

Turn Signals

If your turn signals arent cancelling after you turn it can be one of two things. The teeth of the center cancel ring isnt indexed properly with the holes on the back of your steering wheel, this is a quick check to see if its out of alignment. If its still in alignment, the center circle thing on the switch base itself isnt clicking off the ball bearing indention in the base. IF your turn signal switch and cancel feel loose and not crisp, changing out this base will get it feeling new again too.

Youll basically just strip all of your stuff from your old combo switch and transfer it to the new base, after youve stripped all of the stuff off of the new base.

This is my old stripped base. As you can see it was completely cracked and i had JB weld holding it together.

1698677472857.png

Just unscrew all of your old stuff off the back of your old combo switch and screw it to the back of the new one. It all perfectly matches up.

Be careful of your turn signal switch arm as its got a spring inside of it and a ball bearing thats very easy to lose. #3 on the photo below.

The way the arm attaches to the base is slightly different as well. Youll just drill out the push pin in #5 below and reuse the threaded bolt (#2) from your old combo switch base. There is a tiny hex bolt that youll reuse from your old base and slide into the little hole (#1) to hold the threaded bolt on the arm. You have to get the threaded bolt in before the spring, as it will use that bolt to put pressure on the ball on the end (#3). Lastly the little metal bracket thing (#4) is what gives you your indent feeling and hold the stalk in place when you push your high beams on. You HAVE to use the old one from your old switch for this. Its different and the grooves are different between the two. Its like the mirror opposite, if you use the new bracket, your brights will be on in normal position and when you push the stalk forward they will be low beams.

1698677679383.png

The Center circle turn signal cancel thing on the new base is a different size than the one on the 60 and it has the little teeth in different orientation. If you have a fj62 you can ignore this, the steering wheel is already drilled for multiple combo switches.

Youll just need to drill a hole on the back of your steering wheel where these teeth meet the wheel, doesnt need to be very deep, maybe 5mm at max. You can not transfer your old cancel circle thing to the new base, the Inner diameters are different.

The headlight module on the back just bolts on with two screws and has a button that goes through a hole. Super simple.

As far as the wipers go, if you arent looking to upgrade to 4 speed intermittent wipers, your old wiper stalk is all contained into its own module, so you just bolt that on as well.

Doing this will basically give you the exact functionality you had before, but your turn signals will be brand new, with zero de pinning or wiring.

You can also probably just leave on the parts from new combo switch and only switch what you need. Its kind of a pick and choose type thing. The wiring for the headlights and turn signal are the same. The Wiper will need to be repinned to use that mist function.

While you are in here, if you can source a wiper stalk from a SR5 toyota pickup or 4runner from 1986-1989, you can graft on the 4 speed intermittent function. Make sure you get the one with the black translucent back cover as its got the relay and timer for the different speeds into the stalk, youll just repin the wires and make some easy mods to the housing and it all works.

You can find it in this thread here. Truck > FJ60 intermittent wiper assembly swap - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/truck-fj60-intermittent-wiper-assembly-swap.563893/page-2

I used the zipties like post #23 from @cruiserfj45 and it works perfect.

One step further is using the Wiper stalk from an 86-89 pickup and 4runner and you can have cruise control switches as well as 4 speed intermittent wipers as well. Youll need cruise control to do this so like a ls swap or dakota digital cruise box or those weird dealer add on cruise boxes. Keep in mind, the LS and i think the dakota box need to receive a power signal to activate the cruise functions, and the toyota switch sends ground, so youll need to use two relays.

1698678317678.png

Last edited:
This is a pic of transferring the modules from the old base to the new one, this is the back of the bases.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. This is nice because its only 25 bucks. A used one will go for triple of that and i have seen new ones go for 100-200 bucks online as well.

1698678544044.png

Last edited:
Very cool tech man! My cruise control has been acting up so (once I get around to it) my first step in troubleshooting it is the stalk. If that is indeed bad, I might have to look into going this route just to have everything integrated together. Would be nice to actually have visible indications on my column stalks again after God knows how long 😂

Very cool tech man! My cruise control has been acting up so (once I get around to it) my first step in troubleshooting it is the stalk. If that is indeed bad, I might have to look into going this route just to have everything integrated together. Would be nice to actually have visible indications on my column stalks again after God knows how long 😂
Thanks, figured it could at least save one person a couple bucks haha

Man, I’m glad you figured this out. I may or may not had damaged mine a few weeks ago when I was changing the u joint on the other end of the shaft. I won’t know for sure till I get the engine back together, but this gives me peace of mind. Thank you!

Mine's still going strong, zip ties are doing well. One of these days I'll upgrade to the cruise control when I install a fuel injected motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom