cleaned seat belts with a power washer... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 07 lx470 has 260k miles of dirt, sweat, and funk on the original seat belts. I googled how to clean seat belts and read about using a powerwasher to remove the dirt and grime.

before pics...

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

I unbolted the 4 seatbelt using a 14 mm socket ratchet. I then had my son hold the fully extended bolt while the power washer did its thing.

After...
image4.JPG
image3.JPG

1 banana job. Total time was under 1 hour. belts look close to new! you should have seen all the yellow dirt that came off these things. it was damn eye opening. truck is going strong at 266k miles on the odometer.

Thanks! Gonna try that this spring!

Wow! Now I'm motivated to do the same! Thanks!

Does cleaning them help the belts retract more easily? Mine are 17yrs old and will not retract on their own anymore, it usually requires a little coaxing on my part to help them spool back up.

I did the Sam on my 1998 and it helped retract it like it was new again.

Does cleaning them help the belts retract more easily? Mine are 17yrs old and will not retract on their own anymore, it usually requires a little coaxing on my part to help them spool back up.
After you clean and let dry (I did a simple green spray then soak in a bucket of v hot water sitting on the seats with dawn dish detergent) give the belts a good rub with a dryer sheet like bounce - the belts run/retract much smoother and smell purdy too.

After you clean and let dry (I did a simple green spray then soak in a bucket of v hot water sitting on the seats with dawn dish detergent) give the belts a good rub with a dryer sheet like bounce - the belts run/retract much smoother and smell purdy too.

I was a bit worried about what chemicals would do to the seat belt... but power washing is probably just as bad. at my soil level, we were gonna need a lot of simplygreen and elbow grease. power washing worked really well. if I had to do it over again, I might presoak the belt in a warm bucket of dawn soap, to help aid the cleaning.

I was shocked and disgusted with the amount of dirt that came off these belts. I also estimated that this mod added 10 horsepower to my LX...

Absolutely. I had the same problem and after a good soak in warm soapy water and a healthy scrub, they began retracting again.

I imagine taking the power washer to them would help even more.

If you're feel like REALLY getting after the belts, Toyota makes a kit that includes some Velcro to clean the plastic loop the belt pass through as well as some slick tape to place over that surface to aid in the belt gliding over it.

73205-48011-Tape-Set-1c.jpg

I've done this too and my belts were just as bad.

Very satisfying.

- Pro tip which I can see OP has done, but I did not realise to do until someone pointed it out: undo the bolt holding the belts on the B-pillar. Pull out belt and close door on the maximally extended belt. That keeps it from retracting.

- Pro tip 2 (as noted above): wet the belts, scrub them with a brush and soak them in a bucket with warm soapy water. The weave of belts is pretty tight and letting it soak for a few hours loosens everything. The powerwash then just blasts out all the crap from the weave.

- To let them dry, I put a few clothes pins on the extended belts way at the top where it retracts to prevent it from retracting while wet. You want them bone dry before retracting.

Last edited:
Power washed mine today. Soaked them in a bucket of warm water and maybe a quarter cup of liquid detergent for about 20 minutes and then went to town with the machine! Waiting overnight for them to dry up before letting them retract back into place....

C5C3C50E-E1C4-4EF6-83E3-65859F358C92.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom