CLCC Tech Day thread (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an LSD from a supra that I need rebuilt for my GS300. Its got about 100k on it and its leaking out of the pinion and side seals so if definitely needs a rebuild. I already reached out to Ryan and he won't touch it since its not from a Land Cruiser and didn't have another place he recommends since they're going under. The only other place I've been referred to by a reputable mechanic is county transmission and they want $800 if I supply parts. Thats waaay to much money given people in are having this done with ring gear removal for an LSD conversion for $400 or less at reputable shops.

I have the factory service manual so I know exactly what I need to do. I just have zero experience with this so I'm not 100% sure about setting the backlash and getting the mesh of the teeth correct.

I checked with a friend who suggested either Revtech or RRT in Sterling.

He doesn’t email, but if he calls you, his name is Gary, he goes by @shmukster He would be a good intern for you Ryan.

I've heard you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I have an LSD from a supra that I need rebuilt for my GS300. Its got about 100k on it and its leaking out of the pinion and side seals so if definitely needs a rebuild. I already reached out to Ryan and he won't touch it since its not from a Land Cruiser and didn't have another place he recommends since they're going under. The only other place I've been referred to by a reputable mechanic is county transmission and they want $800 if I supply parts. Thats waaay to much money given people in are having this done with ring gear removal for an LSD conversion for $400 or less at reputable shops.

I have the factory service manual so I know exactly what I need to do. I just have zero experience with this so I'm not 100% sure about setting the backlash and getting the mesh of the teeth correct.
Replacing or installing a locker is a lot less work and a lot less intimidating than doing a complete rebuild. If you don't have to disturb the pinion gear setup then all you need to really be careful about is setting up the carrier bearings and gear mesh side to side.

He doesn’t email, but if he calls you, his name is Gary, he goes by @shmukster He would be a good intern for you Ryan.

Although, the commute might be a deal breaker.

:steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer::steer:

Have you tried Hi-Tech in Merrifield, Va HiTech Transmissions . They had done stuff for folks back in my hot-rod days. I haven't needed anything done since then tho.
I checked with a friend who suggested either Revtech or RRT in Sterling.

Thanks guys! I'll reach out to them. I also heard good things about MachV from other local people and they quoted me $400-500

Replacing or installing a locker is a lot less work and a lot less intimidating than doing a complete rebuild. If you don't have to disturb the pinion gear setup then all you need to really be careful about is setting up the carrier bearings and gear mesh side to side.

Yeah thats what I figured and why I don't just go ahead and do it myself.

Hello guys... Are you guys doing one of these soon?

My body is ready for a tech day. Stuff i need help with has been broken down by order of importance.

Burning --- Starter, coils, plugs, intake gaskets, fresh set of injectors (all must be removed to get to the starter anyway). Door lock actuator. ASFIR belly armor, 3 pieces.
Eh...if we get to it --- alternator and radiator

Ambitious
Whats so ambitious about what I posted? Unless my hearing is bad, i heard was "everything but the knuckles" is doable at the meet yesterday. Did i misunderstand something?

Whats so ambitious about what I posted? Unless my hearing is bad, i heard was "everything but the knuckles" is doable at the meet yesterday. Did i misunderstand something?

didn’t mean it negatively. Just that would be awesome to be able to get all that done in one day

Starter alone sounds like an 8 hour day of wrenching to me

Noob question... How many trucks can we work at the same time?

Hmmm.... I'm looking at installing some new UCAs, should a tech day arise one of these days...

The knuckle comment was an exemplar of the non-typical job at a tech day.
Just a reminder to those who may not be aware, the LX470 starter is here:
1583521583817.png

@OTRAMM : what is the book hours for this job?

Friendly advice: A way to become very unpopular very quickly is to show up to a tech day as the new guy (with no time helping others in the club) with a very complex/dirty/all-day/or multi-day job with the expectation of getting free labor.
This is not to discourage you from working on your truck nor is it to say these things can't be done during a tech day (though radiators and messy coolant related jobs are also not a club tech day favorite) and getting help during a tech day, just to ease into it with a couple small, or pressing jobs, and see how the whole thing works.
One of the best ways to get people to help with the bigger jobs is to pay it forward by helping others out and building up credit and credibility before bring in a big job.

how strong of a grinder (or other tool) is needed to potentially cut coils to the right height?

A normal 4.5" angle grinder will cut through them pretty easily. Depending on the coil spacing it may hit other coils when cutting though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom