Builds "Chunk+12ht" version 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jealous of those forks - 6’?

Nice work, and that frame looks really good. I see a bit of funny business in the rear bumper cross support, but the rest looks good.

What’s with the extra brackets on the shock tube?

Yes that lift has 6' forks, definitely handy. I had to use the Toyota lift anyway just to be proper.
The truck had some odd suspension items way back in its past. I will be cuttimg those off. There are a few clean up areas from old brackets but I don't think the frame will be a ton of work. I am going to powder coat the frame and use layer 1 as filler primer, then sand it smooth and topcoat it. Trying for the zero rust pit frame. It will be very minimal because it is so nice but this will make it even better.
I think the axles will just get a blast and paint because then can drop axles for a later date redo. Trying to control immediate costs now. Hopefully cable lockers go in later:)

Looks like SAS2 is a reality at this pace. Nice.

Here are a couple of pictures of the a-arms I restored for my Chevelle doing the powder coat, sand, powder coat method. These were pitted pretty bad.
It really looks great, worth the time imho.
SAM_0939.JPG
SAM_0936.JPG

Yes that lift has 6' forks, definitely handy. I had to use the Toyota lift anyway just to be proper.
The truck had some odd suspension items way back in its past. I will be cuttimg those off. There are a few clean up areas from old brackets but I don't think the frame will be a ton of work. I am going to powder coat the frame and use layer 1 as filler primer, then sand it smooth and topcoat it. Trying for the zero rust pit frame. It will be very minimal because it is so nice but this will make it even better.
I think the axles will just get a blast and paint because then can drop axles for a later date redo. Trying to control immediate costs now. Hopefully cable lockers go in later:)

That reminds me...there's what looks to be a cutting wheel knick on the back axle housing that's pretty deep...not deep enough
to leak but deep enough that it may benefit from throwing a bead down over it.

I can't remember specifically where but somewhere that would have been visible from below.

That reminds me...there's what looks to be a cutting wheel knick on the back axle housing that's pretty deep...not deep enough
to leak but deep enough that it may benefit from throwing a bead down over it.

I can't remember specifically where but somewhere that would have been visible from below.
I'll look for it after its blasted, thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve seen an ad from Calgary Alberta (maybe it’s in the classifieds here too) from a guy who says he has - NOS on a pallet 60 series complete cable locker axles.

Looks like SAS2 is a reality at this pace. Nice.

Does this mean that the quality of work will enable time travel so that we will soon be able to have seen this epic endeavor already at conclusion? Or was it just a typo and you mean SAS3? I’m hoping you’ll say the former.

I’ve seen an ad from Calgary Alberta (maybe it’s in the classifieds here too) from a guy who says he has - NOS on a pallet 60 series complete cable locker axles.
That would be sweet. Afraid to know the price. I'll search. There are some in the classifieds now used in europe maybe coming this way too.

Does this mean that the quality of work will enable time travel so that we will soon be able to have seen this epic endeavor already at conclusion? Or was it just a typo and you mean SAS3? I’m hoping you’ll say the former.

If somebody has a time machine, I wanna go back and buy a bunch of cars and Cruisers!

I haven't posted up all week because not a lot has happened until today. Work load is going up and up so free time is tough. Oh well, make hay while the sun is shining.

Finally got a few hours today and put Chunk's body shell on my old rotisserie. I almost scrapped that thing as I haven't used it in years. It isn't too pretty but works really well. I will be able to work on the bottom side and the roof with ease now. It took a bit of cutting and welding to mod it for a 60 series (had a 65 Mustang fastback on it last).
20181104_124754.jpg
20181104_124816.jpg

20181104_153312.jpg
20181104_153135.jpg

Last week I also got some of the sheetmetal blasted. The fenders have some previous repair work but are rust free so I will see if they will work out. I am hoping to powder coat most of the sheetmetal so it has a nice base and then paint the exterior parts. I need to get some white mixed up (if that is what color the truck will be so I can be certain of my powder coating match for the front end stuff. I could go satin black on the inner fenders and engine compartment too. Not sure yet.
20181104_165609.jpg

Buddy needs a couch in my tiny home shop. He is making do with one of Chunk's front seats for now.
20181104_183244.jpg

Another funny thing he does is stand in the doggie door halfway outside for long stretches. He does it all fall/winter long. I guess he likes his butt warm.
20181104_183530.jpg

@dogfishlake that buddy he is hilarious. Love that guy. Look like a subtle hint to get you on the road ASAP.

Super cool you got the 60 shell on that rotisserie. Been dyin to get to the barn, but trying to wrap up some honey do lists. Happy wife...happy life. hoping to hit the barn next week.

front inners look like they were pretty nice underneath...
Was the mud/filler in the places we suspected on the front
outer fenders? It sort of looks like elsewhere in the pics....

Did you chuckle at that 2x6 slab of wood under the battery? ;)
Now you see one of the reasons why...that corrosion in the
battery tray.

I was doing some google image stalking and came across this cruiser done by The FJ Company. I really like the color scheme, even though white is my default favorite. I plan on the 61 style stripes anyway. Total copy job of the paint scheme but I don't really care about that.

Opinions on white vs. Olive (kinda yellow olive)?
View attachment 1804396 View attachment 1804398
I'm leaning towards the Olive.....but you know how I am;)

battery tray.

battery tray.

The front part of the fenders aren't too bad. There is a pretty good dent on the right fender that was repaired kina so-so, but can be brought a lot closer with it off the truck. I should be able to get them pretty close with some more hammer/dolly work and use them.

I forgot to look at the tray in my parts 60 but hopefully I have a spare one and all good.

I'm leaning towards the Olive.....but you know how I am;)

I really like the color, but don't want to get the old girl mad at me by trying to move in on her claim to olive.
20180710_194519.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom