Charcoal filter 3fe- autozone one doesn't fit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can Somebody please explain to me how you get a 5 inch diameter filter to fit in between brackets that are only 4 1/2 inch diameter? The AutoZone VC120 is too large to fit in the oem bracket (which also mounts the VCV). If someone can chime in here it would be much appreciated. I don't want to rip out the bracket and jerry rig it all. This is a CAlifornia car

IMG_3006.JPG

If you're putting the VC-120 in the factory bracket, you'll need to get longer bolts from a hardware store.

Edit: Er, that's for the 1FZ mounting location... Sorry. Not as familiar with the 3FE canister mounting.

Zip Ties will likely outlast the owner. Make sure you get the TEQ ones for $5 each.

sounds like zip ties are a FZJ fix, again filter does not squeeze in between the brackets on a 3fe. I guess I will rip out the bracket, zip tie the VCV, and get creative with it.

Maybe a bracket from a FZJ will work...

I just went to pull off the entire u-shaped bracket assembly and it turns out that the clamps are removable (from above it looks like they are welded on).
-remove top rear clamp bolt, lift clamp up and off bracket (one side only), bend back
-place VC120 in, resting on top of bottom clamp
-zip tie or bolt top clamp nice n tight
-re-route hoses to accommodate new port configuration
-plug bottom (obsolete) line
-zip tie VCV to something

well thanks for letting me answer my question, case closed

Hi, I've always just blown out the filters, yours is totally clogged? Mike

I went to install a VC120 a couple weekends ago on my fzj and had the same problem. The lower clampup ring digs into the fuse/relay box. Hoaky isn't my cup of tea. @ryan greathouse, I live just south of you and am wondering if the VC120 will pass a visual emissions inspection? Info I have read on Mud indicates that he canister itself is not tested but the integrity of the line from the tank to the canister is tested.

Do you have solid info on this?

I went to install a VC120 a couple weekends ago on my fzj and had the same problem. The lower clampup ring digs into the fuse/relay box. Hoaky isn't my cup of tea. @ryan greathouse, I live just south of you and am wondering if the VC120 will pass a visual emissions inspection? Info I have read on Mud indicates that he canister itself is not tested but the integrity of the line from the tank to the canister is tested.

I've passed CA inspection with the VC120 :meh:. I only used the upper mount and just put a longer bolt through it.

*For the 3fe*

I was at my mechanic today (the wife's lexus) and ran this by him, cause I was concerned about eliminating the bottom line. this line goes back to the fuel tank, creating a "closed" system for filtering the fumes. The VC120 vents to the atmosphere (after passing through the charcoal) instead of back to the tank. One can see how this will create much improved breath-ability over stock. I would think the filter is inconspicuous enough to pass visual inspection in my county, but we'll see. It is flat black and sits darn near in the exact same position, zip ties should be avoided of course if you are concerned. The rubber lines are bent differently than stock, but do not look wierd or out place. The ports are slightly larger diameter but the stock lines fit with some spit, tiny pipe clamps should probably be used in place of the old bendy/pinch kind that have a little trouble fitting the larger diameter.

RG

"Technically" it is considered modified because it is not the correct replacement part. But, it is most likely to skip through an inspection without notice...

Why not do the @LandCruiserPhil method? Cut the top off the canister, drill out the BB, JB weld it back and put the rubber cap back on. Nobody can tell.

Why not do the @LandCruiserPhil method? Cut the top off the canister, drill out the BB, JB weld it back and put the rubber cap back on. Nobody can tell.
Mine is missing the plastic cap to hide the "JB weld Mod". I will try the VC120 as I'm in pretty good with my smog guy. Could probably find a cap at pick-n-pull too.

Mine is missing the plastic cap to hide the "JB weld Mod". I will try the VC120 as I'm in pretty good with my smog guy. Could probably find a cap at pick-n-pull too.

I might have a spare. Or two. Laying around. I'll check. If I do you can have it.

I took mine off if you want it:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom