Change Plastic Radiator tanks to Aluminium? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have to replace my leaking copper/bronze radiator and already bought an OEM type aluminum core with plastic tanks. It is a 1998 105 model 1FZFE.

Since I live overseas and labor is cheap, I have a guy who can take off the plastic tanks and replace them with aluminum, including changing all of the steel mounts to aluminum.

Next week it will be installed, I'm just debating ripping off the plastic and going all aluminum. I have a 2000 mile trip to Chile planned in 2 weeks and don't want to have problems.

Would you take off the plastic tanks and go with all aluminum??? Or Leave it stock with plastic tanks???

Right before a trip I would leave the ally/plastic rad as is, mods like this right before a big trip is asking for trouble IMO.

OEM rads are ok IME.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
Leave it. Been much adoo about plastic tanks on mud lately. I really don't get the issue as my circa 94 plastic tank lasted till 2017 and was only replaced as PM.

Leave it. Been much adoo about plastic tanks on mud lately. I really don't get the issue as my circa 94 plastic tank lasted till 2017 and was only replaced as PM.

Have to say my OE 94 rad was changed in 2010 @ 184,000 miles, the fins had corrosion but still had no leaks from tubes.

Regards

Dave

Still running the original plastic tank in my 1997 LC with 220,000. Seems ok but so did the original that is in the 1997lx that just cracked the top while driving. I am thinking though that something else in the cooling system caused it to blow though, but I am no expert and could be wrong. It is still overheating though so something else besides the radiator also failed.

I would leave it before a long trip.

My 96 plastic tank exploded at 212K in 2014. Installed a new OEM rad with plastic tanks.

I guess my question should have been, -- has anyone ever seen an aluminum Radiator tank fail?

I guess my question should have been, -- has anyone ever seen an aluminum Radiator tank fail?

I think a more useful question is, how much faith do you put in the "cheap labor guy" turning out a one off in his workshop and getting it right first go, vs a mass produced reproduction OEM style rad with plastic tanks made in a factory, amongst the thousands they also produce for other vehicles, and with at least some sort of quality assurance.

The vast majority of 80s would still be running on the original OEM radiator.

So my cheap labor welder will replace the plastic tanks with aluminum for $100. I'm sure he thinks he is ripping off the gringo because that is like a 3 day salary here. I'm going to take off the plastic tanks, seen too many threads with cracked plastic tanks, and the short mechanics here have a tendency to indiscriminately climb into the engine compartment because the cruiser is so high.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I am going the other way, can't risk plastic in the middle of nowhere, and a weld is better than a crimp.

So my cheap labor welder will replace the plastic tanks with aluminum for $100. I'm sure he thinks he is ripping off the gringo because that is like a 3 day salary here. I'm going to take off the plastic tanks, seen too many threads with cracked plastic tanks, and the short mechanics here have a tendency to indiscriminately climb into the engine compartment because the cruiser is so high.

Thanks for the advice guys, but I am going the other way, can't risk plastic in the middle of nowhere, and a weld is better than a crimp.

I would be all over replacing the plastic tanks with aluminum at that price.

I would be all over replacing the plastic tanks with aluminum at that price.

Agree the price is great but, is it something the rad guy does on a daily basis? I would take a pack of epoxy resin and repair, rather than trust a mod on a brand new OEM part right before such a journey.

Regards

Dave.

If it's not broke why fix it, you are asking for trouble with home modded tank

Why not just repair and clean out the original copper bronze unit? Easiest to get repaired in the future, evennwhen very remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom