Center diff lock not working - GX470 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hoping someone can help me out.

So...I pressed the center differential lock button today (to actually unlock the differential). I went and pressed it again to lock. However, now it won't lock. I get a solid "VSC Off" light on, and a flashing light showing the differential (drive train) on the dash. Tried to free up the actual switch (thinking there might be debris in it), but it did not help.

Did a little reading and some think (on other vehicles) it might be the differential "actuator"? They say that it can freeze up from not being used.

Thanks for any help

Found this

Rubber mallet on actuator worked for me after trying all the other options

You did the figure 8 driving on a dirt road?

Or smack the actuator with a rubber mallet?

Also, there’s a YouTube video where someone shows an actuator full of leaking oil. He opens the actuator to let all the oil out and it worked, but you have to fix the leaking seal.

Only once has my center diff lock has gotten stuck trying to lock, but I was on a dirt trail with some ruts and it locked within a minute or two of driving on that dirt road.

No problem after that.

The GX has a single shift fork actuator so it is relatively easy to remove and fix.

You did the figure 8 driving on a dirt road?

Or smack the actuator with a rubber mallet?

Also, there’s a YouTube video where someone shows an actuator full of leaking oil. He opens the actuator to let all the oil out and it worked, but you have to fix the leaking seal.

Only once has my center diff lock has gotten stuck trying to lock, but I was on a dirt trail with some ruts and it locked within a minute or two of driving on that dirt road.

No problem after that.
Here is a video that shows CDL disassembly in place, instead of twist crack and pray method.

Replaced the seals on my diff actuator in combination with a drain and fill on the transfer case and mine locks and unlocks very quickly now.

Bought a new actuator. Installed it. Everything worked, but it leaked. Took apart fixed gasket. Everything work, but light is blinking. Can't get it to stop. Any suggestions? I have tried everything. Going to try a different actuator tomorrow. The one I bought (parts geek) has a pretty weak electric connector into plug. Anyone else have these issues?

Bought a new actuator. Installed it. Everything worked, but it leaked. Took apart fixed gasket. Everything work, but light is blinking. Can't get it to stop. Any suggestions? I have tried everything. Going to try a different actuator tomorrow. The one I bought (parts geek) has a pretty weak electric connector into plug. Anyone else have these issues?
Mine blinked for little while too. Make sure you place the vehicle in neutral first before engaging the actuator. Once I got mine to activate for a couple days in a row. The blinking went away and it locked and unlocked ok. You should hear it lock and unlock.

Mine blinked for little while too. Make sure you place the vehicle in neutral first before engaging the actuator. Once I got mine to activate for a couple days in a row. The blinking went away and it locked and unlocked ok. You should hear it lock and unlock.
Light is blinking when turn car on. I will try it again this am.

I believe when it is blinking, it cannot lock/unlock for whatever reason. Try putting it in neural and then pressing the switch. You can also tap lighting on the actual activator adjacent the transfer case to get it to brake loose. Backing up and figure 8s can be used. Regardless of what method you use, the transmission should always be in neutral when you press the switch.
Light is blinking when turn car on. I will try it again this am.

Hoping someone can help me out.

So...I pressed the center differential lock button today (to actually unlock the differential). I went and pressed it again to lock. However, now it won't lock. I get a solid "VSC Off" light on, and a flashing light showing the differential (drive train) on the dash. Tried to free up the actual switch (thinking there might be debris in it), but it did not help.

Did a little reading and some think (on other vehicles) it might be the differential "actuator"? They say that it can freeze up from not being used.

Thanks for any help
Just a thought, but you said you went to turn it OFF before you turned it ON and it wouldn’t engage.
Does this mean that you had been driving with it on?
If so, and if you were in a high-traction environment (pavement), perhaps the center diff got bound up.
Smarter folk than I can comment, but my understanding has always been “ do NOT drive with center diff lock, or any diff lock, on pavement”.
Good luck, please report back when you get this solved!

Car dif light is blinking. It is not in 4 low, though it will engage to 4 low. I replaced with a different actuator, test before installed and light went off. Put it on and light is blinking. When removed the dif rod has about an inch play. I had pushed it in, this time I am going to pull it out and see if that makes a difference.

How long did it blink? Days?

Car dif light is blinking. It is not in 4 low, though it will engage to 4 low. I replaced with a different actuator, test before installed and light went off. Put it on and light is blinking. When removed the dif rod has about an inch play. I had pushed it in, this time I am going to pull it out and see if that makes a difference.
By “4 low”, do you mean “locked”? From my understanding, the actuator locks the transfer case into 4wd and out to 2wd. “Low 4” is a selection on the transmission. It is pretty easy to tell if the transfer case is in locked 4wd mode. When you turn the wheel, you can feel the tires bind. It is possible to drive 4wd on high speeds, but as noted above, you don’t want to do this on pavement.

Also, in normal operation, when the button is pressed, it blinks for about 3 seconds on the dash, and then stops.

By “4 low”, do you mean “locked”? From my understanding, the actuator locks the transfer case into 4wd and out to 2wd. “Low 4” is a selection on the transmission. It is pretty easy to tell if the transfer case is in locked 4wd mode. When you turn the wheel, you can feel the tires bind. It is possible to drive 4wd on high speeds, but as noted above, you don’t want to do this on pavement.
the Differential actuator give power to front and back 50% EACH. Normal it is 60 back 40 front? I am not sure on that. 4LOW on mine is the shifter which is alway on H. It goes into N and L. It works in low. Driving me nuts with light constantly blinking. By the way, thanks for you input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom