CDL switch installed, transfer indicator switch replaced, still nothing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

After installing the OEM dash mounted CDL switch in accordance with various youtube vids my dash was reading a whole lot of NOTHING. No ABS, No locker engaged. As per usual I did hear the obvious 'whirring' that Kumar mentions in the informative Slee article.
(found here: Slee - Fixing a Center Diff Lock Indicator (Toyota 80 Series Land Cruiser))

So after acquiring the requisite switch after reading Jake40's article, I commenced install.
(found here: Replacement for 84222-12010 switch)

After install of the switch...... still no ABS, or CDL activation via dash. I've searched high and low for MUD answers to no avail.

Anyone ever have a similar issue?

Did I install it in the right place? I assume so as the one I removed was an identical match. The diagram I used to locate the switch is the one from madmonkee. (found here: http://www.monkeeworks.com/images/mwda.0-auto/mwdaXferSwDiag_size0.jpg)

Any other thoughts I'm not considering?

New switch highlighted with BLUE streak.

IMG_4070.JPG

Was it working before you installed the switch ? As in, when you put it in low range did the dash light up and say CDL ABS ?

Negative. That's what made me start this project. I added the CDL dash button thinking that maybe the PO maybe did something behind the dash, or disconnected the switch. It didn't seem either had been tampered with.

Is it possible that it's a bad wire harness connected to the activation switch I just installed?

When the dash switch you added is pressed the CDL light should immediately start flashing. Once the sensor switch you replaced on the front of the transfer case determines the lock was sucessful then the CDL light should change to constantly on and the ABS light should then turn on. If there is no CDL on or flashing but you heard the whirl then that sounds like a wiring issue or the bulbs are missing or burned out. Gives us some answers so we can narrow it down.

Well... after a 2am marathon session I found another old mud thread which contained my solution, than you Inkpot!!!!

CDL Switch NOT working, indicator does not illuminate, now what?

Unlike a few others, my switch does not/did not accuate upon pressing the CDL dash switch. It wasn't until I took it on to the dirt, made a few turns, depressed the button, made another, and the LIGHT MIRACULOUSLY CAME ON!!!!

Seems to be fine since. I'm assuming that similar to front and rear diff, when engaged, that everything needs to line up properly before the dash light ABS, CDL comes on.

In short, if you're this issue and you've installed a dash CDL, replaced the acivator switch on the transfer case, and still nothing, take it for a drive and before digging into the wiring like I almost did.

Thanks ppc, thedoughboy, and half k cruiser, for the responses. It kept me digging until I found the solution.

When the dash switch you added is pressed the CDL light should immediately start flashing. Once the sensor switch you replaced on the front of the transfer case determines the lock was sucessful then the CDL light should change to constantly on and the ABS light should then turn on. If there is no CDL on or flashing but you heard the whirl then that sounds like a wiring issue or the bulbs are missing or burned out. Gives us some answers so we can narrow it down.
I am little curious about the flashing CDL light comment. My CDL light never has flashed, it always has been either on or off. Naturally soon as everything lines up it locks and solid light. Of course the front and rear e-lockers behave differently and will flash until the CDL is locked and they are as well. It's the way it always has been in my truck.

OP: Glad you got it sorted. Remember to use it every now and again. I went through a similar situation adding my CDL button.

After thinking about this some more I think I was wrong. The CDL will not flash as retrofive has stated because there is no logic controller. That only happens with the front and rear lockers as it has the locker ECU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom