CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How is the sound quality? It's via the external/aux input if I'm following correctly? If sound quality for music is good, I'm in for the group buy (will respond on the group buy thread).

How is the sound quality? It's via the external/aux input if I'm following correctly? If sound quality for music is good, I'm in for the group buy (will respond on the group buy thread).

I have the wireless CarPlay setup. There’s no selection of the input involved with that setup...it automatically connects to your iPhone when you hold down the Nav button. Sound quality is great, at first blush it seems better than the standard BT connection.

I just wrapped up my install. The instructions are the weak point in the process, but NaviPlus is fairly responsive via email. Disassembling the dash is really very simple, and the videos in this thread are very helpful. Total installation time (and I had a lot of issues with the cabling which ate hours) was about 6 hours. If I had to do it again, 2 hours max.

Unfortunately, I now have a dead battery. I suspect it's due to the doors of my LC being open for 6 hours and not something to do with the installation. She started via my jump pack, and I'm charging the battery now.
Which email did you use to contact NaviPlus?

Question — Looking at this for my 2008. Can I listen to the regular xm radio or fm radio while using carplay (waze for example)?

I wonder if you could use a Qi charger for power and a cable for the audio. Not sure if that’s possible or if Qi shuts down in the presence of the cable. I use this Pelican case/mount: Pelican iPhone 11 Pro Max Case, Protector Series – Military Grade Drop Tested, TPU, Polycarbonate Protective Case for Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max - with EMS Wireless Charging Vent Mount (Black) Amazon product ASIN B07X5Y7FGX
View attachment 2381056

I've confirmed that this does not work.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried or ordered the EC Offroad interface module for CarPlay?

Interface Module unit For LandCruiser 200, Car Play & GPS. Android system. July 2018 - 2020
I have ordered one for my 2020 LC. They’re currently out of stock and said it should ship in 1-2 weeks. It will probably be best to start a new thread for it at some point to avoid confusion with the NaviPlus discussion, I know another member has ordered one for his 2016 LC as we’ve been discussing it in private messages. He May receive his first as he ordered a few days before I did and he’s also in CA and I’m in MA.

I have ordered one for my 2020 LC. They’re currently out of stock and said it should ship in 1-2 weeks. It will probably be best to start a new thread for it at some point to avoid confusion with the NaviPlus discussion, I know another member has ordered one for his 2016 LC as we’ve been discussing it in private messages. He May receive his first as he ordered a few days before I did and he’s also in CA and I’m in MA.
Looking forward to your thread.

Has anyone tried or ordered the EC Offroad interface module for CarPlay?

Interface Module unit For LandCruiser 200, Car Play & GPS. Android system. July 2018 - 2020
@RobW0 Yes, please start a new thread that I can subscribe to. I had not heard of this EC Offroad unit before and would interested in seeing what your and @greynolds install process is like and your first impressions on how well the unit works.

@RobW0 Yes, please start a new thread that I can subscribe to. I had not heard of this EC Offroad unit before and would interested in seeing what your and @greynolds install process is like and your first impressions on how well the unit works.
It was discussed briefly in this thread and ended up causing a bit of confusion as there's a decent amount of similarity, but some differences as well. I just started a thread for the EC Offroad 2016+ solution for 200 LC's. Please continue any discussion of the EC Offroad product in the EC Offroad CarPlay Solutions For 2016+ 200 Series LC thread. The thread is largely a placeholder until @DomSmith or I receive our units or someone else who already has one can post some hands on information.

Here are some quirks I’ve found with the wireless Apple version...I’m curious as to whether anyone else (@Eric Sarjeant) has had the same experience.

- If you launch CarPlay while still connected to your home network (still in your garage for example), you can't connect. The NP creates a wireless network to which your phone is required to be connected, and if you're already connected elsewhere, there's a conflict.
EDIT: I TESTED THIS AGAIN AND THE PHONE DOES CONNECT TO THE NP AND DROPS MY HOME CONNECTION. SO, NO QUIRKINESS THERE.

- In addition to the network connection, you're tethered to the NP via Bluetooth as well. You cannot be connected to the BT of the OEM system. This may not be a functional issue, but it's something that an owner needs to be aware of.

0C3F0E06-9A8C-4176-8DE1-FD6C4A1CCE79.png

- I have my surround cameras set to display automatically when slowing to a stop. This is very helpful when pulling into a parking spot. With the NP, the display reverts to "factory" once you're at speed again. . .it does not switch back to the CarPlay display. I'm not sure if this behavior is the same in reverse (will update this post once I test).

Last edited:
- I have my surround cameras set to display automatically when slowing to a stop. This is very helpful when pulling into a parking spot. With the NP, the display reverts to "factory" once you're at speed again. . .it does not switch back to the CarPlay display. I'm not sure if this behavior is the same in reverse (will update this post once I test).

I have my cameras set up to do the same and I ordered the NP unit. I'm brand new to the LC200 - bought mine just a few days ago so want to clarify a few things with this.

When you are in D and parking, do the front sensors not automatically detect nearby objects and trigger the camera or at least beep? I could give up on the 'auto' setting easily if that functionality was there.

When it does bring you back to the "factory" screen does the audio from the NP unit still play? What about the steering wheel controls? I do think the 'auto' camera is a bit overkill when driving through town, but so nice that it comes on when parking.

I have my cameras set up to do the same and I ordered the NP unit. I'm brand new to the LC200 - bought mine just a few days ago so want to clarify a few things with this.

When you are in D and parking, do the front sensors not automatically detect nearby objects and trigger the camera or at least beep? I could give up on the 'auto' setting easily if that functionality was there.

------- The front sensors do beep, but they don't trigger the camera. In reverse, with CarPlay active, the cameras display. When shifting back into "D", CarPlay pops back up.

When it does bring you back to the "factory" screen does the audio from the NP unit still play? What about the steering wheel controls? I do think the 'auto' camera is a bit overkill when driving through town, but so nice that it comes on when parking.

------- Yes, the audio from CarPlay is still active, just not the display. Not sure about the steering wheel controls.

Here are some quirks I’ve found with the wireless Apple version...I’m curious as to whether anyone else (@Eric Sarjeant) has had the same experience.

- In addition to the network connection, you're tethered to the NP via Bluetooth as well. You cannot be connected to the BT of the OEM system. This may not be a functional issue, but it's something that an owner needs to be aware of.

View attachment 2392500

I disagree. You can toggle a phone call between the CarPlay Bluetooth and factory Bluetooth seamlessly.

I disagree. You can toggle a phone call between the CarPlay Bluetooth and factory Bluetooth seamlessly.

Maybe it works, but their website says otherwise (see my screenshot above) and they advised via email that you can’t be connected to both. Not sure why yours works that way.

Maybe it works, but their website says otherwise (see my screenshot above) and they advised via email that you can’t be connected to both. Not sure why yours works that way.

On my phone, I can select either CarPlay or Toyota Land Cruiser for bluetooth and can change back and forth. I don't know.
3AEC3958-E6B7-43BF-BD2E-9210DBA66244.jpeg

Last edited:
This unit is not perfect, but it’s definitely 95%. I got a solid 50 hours of play time with it this week at LCDC. There were days it ran perfectly for 10 hours +, and days it rebooted 5/6 times. I don’t like wireless CarPlay at all, mainly because charging is an issue as CarPlay sucks juice quickly (possibly because I always play music and use navi in the car?) either way, not a big deal to plug in for me. I hate the wireless charger location in the 200.

So second reason I turned off wireless CarPlay was my Thinkware U1000 wants to be on WiFi too, so I can’t control the Thinkware and wireless CarPlay simultaneously.

Additional notes, Some days the screen was not responsive as I would prefer. But overall, is it worth $1000 + labor? Yes, absolutely it is.

My steering wheel controls don’t work (skip function), of course volume does. I plan to make a review soon to explain all the quirks, but haven’t yet. The cameras work the same as OE with CarPlay running, even in 4LO/crawl.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom