Carolina Sandhills National Wildlife Refuge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tactegra.com
Today on whim I decided to go down to this area, looked like a bunch of dirt roads and I needed some solo driving time. It is about 50 miles south of Charlotte, and has over 40K acres of pine forest and sand/gravel roads all over it. I drove about 40 miles of dirt and saw just a little bit. Not hard core driving, but a little fun 4wd around the trails looking for wildfile. No camping allowed, which is a shame as I saw so many awesome spots. The place is open year round during daylight. Will go again and do more "sploring"

1647121719788.png

1647121747269.png

Stopped for late lunch in Lake 17
1647121767793.png

1647121783046.png

Road 3B area had a few vehicles parked outside on the intersection. A few miles later I found out why, it was about 18" deep but hard bottom, easy drive.
1647121832285.png

You can camp on the Sandhills state forest next to it, they have a few sites. But today is not the day for that! The winds would take my tent to France.

You can also camp nearby at Cheraw State Park. Or, we can hook you up with some great places to stay and eat in Hartsville. A small but active bunch of cruiser fans here.

Would love to go on a ride if anyone organizes. ;)

Same here

I was hoping to plan his trip this winter but it's probably not going to happen. The wife is pregnant with twin boys that are due February 28th. Needless to say I'm grounded for the foreseeable future.
Awesome! Congratulations to the two of you! Here's hoping everyone is healthy and happy come delivery day. Two more Motley Cruisers on the way...wow!

I was hoping to plan his trip this winter but it's probably not going to happen. The wife is pregnant with twin boys that are due February 28th. Needless to say I'm grounded for the foreseeable future.
Congrats Charles!

I made the daytrip down last Sunday, no pictures to share but had a good time with it exploring, there were a few roads blocked off but also a few ways to get around that. Having volunteered a few times I was trying to run the same areas as the Sandblast rally stages (attached), but the most interesting area to check out was the Sugarloaf mountain recreation area, entrance here: 34°34'55.4"N 80°08'19.3"W · Scotch Rd, Patrick, SC 29584 - https://goo.gl/maps/yrSQyc2YxK82CYmk9. All reasonably well maintained dirt and sand roads with a lot of offshoots and places to explore including an interesting pond.

Attachments

• Sandblast-Rally-Overview-2023.pdf
    924.8 KB · Views: 59
I made the daytrip down last Sunday, no pictures to share but had a good time with it exploring, there were a few roads blocked off but also a few ways to get around that. Having volunteered a few times I was trying to run the same areas as the Sandblast rally stages (attached), but the most interesting area to check out was the Sugarloaf mountain recreation area, entrance here: 34°34'55.4"N 80°08'19.3"W · Scotch Rd, Patrick, SC 29584 - https://goo.gl/maps/yrSQyc2YxK82CYmk9. All reasonably well maintained dirt and sand roads with a lot of offshoots and places to explore including an interesting pond.
Sugarloaf is a cool spot although calling it a mountain is a stretch of the imagination.

Still looking for a guide. 😂 I know it’s mostly flat, but I can get lost in a paper bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom