Can of worms, Early Wiper motors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pardion

SILVER Star
Threads
Dug into about 30 early wiper motors I have been collecting. I will start by saying that it would be easier and less time consuming and let alone more profitable to rebuild some 30 transfer cases laying about. Lets start with none are perfect. Most of these sat not used on the windshield frame with the lube melting to the non gear area. Then moisture settled in the horizontal shaft and rusted it up. That caused the motor to not want to work ever again. I thought that I could just clean them up dress the commutator and brushes, fix some shafts, and get them on some cruisers. Well no, I would feel guilty passing on a worn out part. So it's too cold to finish my 25, might as well repair some parts. John
DSC02724.JPG

John,

you have work cut out for yourself. Some of those motors looks like they need lots of work. I suspect there are some people that are going to be very happy to get good working early wiper motor if you decide to sell some. What a great Cruiser project.

Mark

i just love all those sexy wiring boots on the left side

Dug into about 30 early wiper motors I have been collecting. I will start by saying that it would be easier and less time consuming and let alone more profitable to rebuild some 30 transfer cases laying about. Lets start with none are perfect. Most of these sat not used on the windshield frame with the lube melting to the non gear area. Then moisture settled in the horizontal shaft and rusted it up. That caused the motor to not want to work ever again. I thought that I could just clean them up dress the commutator and brushes, fix some shafts, and get them on some cruisers. Well no, I would feel guilty passing on a worn out part. So it's too cold to finish my 25, might as well repair some parts. JohnView attachment 1407205

Not sure how many I still have but two the shaft comes out the opposite side. Picked them up at different times. Are your all the same or do you have both types?

I'll have to look John, a pile of parts right now. One thing I did notice is the early ones have slotted screws and later are phillips.

Will be a few weeks until I'm around my wipers to check them. One was on 62 production with 63 on the VIN plaque. Other one was gone. Believe the other came in a group of three I bought off eBay. As I remember the odd ball one the motor is lower when mounted. My thought was on RHD models it would park on the opposite site. Or with of each both would park outside.

I've had real good luck rebuilding a group of them years ago. Believe I bought one from you years because one of mine was missing the wedge shape weight that slows the motor down once power is turned off. Without it the one I rebuilt would spin past the dead spot and continue to run. It was mounted when I checked it and the resistance of the blade on the windshield it might have worked. Did these while I was bored at work. Now that I'm retired with all the projects around the house don't have time to get bored. The pay sucks as well, what was I thinking.:rolleyes:

My 63 FJ45V has that same wiper motor, mounted under the dash. At least, it looks the same. I believe later LV's have other wiper motors.

My 63 FJ45V has that same wiper motor, mounted under the dash. At least, it looks the same. I believe later LV's have other wiper motors.

There is pictures in some old literature with wipers on the bottom on the FJ25. No picture of the inside. For the few number produced in early years surprised by all the variations that have shown up over the years. The rear license plate bracket used on the FJ25 here is not in any parts book.

Rebuilt a wiper motor today, In my personal training to be proficient at rebuilding these wiper motors I needed to take one of the worst ones and renew it. Done deal, plenty of speed, power, returns to park nicely, and quiet.
Then came the issue, when I went to pair it up with another. @Living in the Past or LITP mentioned some motors might be handed in which the park to the left or right. Well I have 18 which park one direction and 8 which park the other. They are not interchangeable.
So off to the early parts books I went and in all the books the motors were the same part # if you needed a left or right motor ordered.
Big mystery, please enlighten me with some info.

P/S do any of you need a transfer case rebuilt?

John, when I built the green goblin way back in 96, I bought 2 new motors from spector( wish I had bought a dozen!) they were the same left or right and always parked to the right. They would run out of sync which I always thought was funny, but always parked to the right.

John, when I built the green goblin way back in 96, I bought 2 new motors from spector( wish I had bought a dozen!) they were the same left or right and always parked to the right. They would run out of sync which I always thought was funny, but always parked to the right.

The two I'm talking about a physically different. The motor is below the shaft not above. One I bought loose in a group of three, the other was on a 62 production with 63 on the VIN plaque. Was on the passenger's side. Cruiser was rescued from a junkyard and some had bought the driver's side. Mounting screw had a stripped head and guess someone gave up trying to get it off. My thought was they are possibly for a RHD so when flipped the wiring went to the right. Wouldn't be the first time something not intended for our market made it here.

did all motors have a park mode? one of annies doesn't park, the other does

did all motors have a park mode? one of annies doesn't park, the other does

Yes they did. There is a dead spot where the wiper should stop. The wiper switch feeds power to that dead spot to start the motor and keep it running until the switch is turned off. If a wiper spins to freely it could rotate past the dead spot and keep running. Or could have another issue. If it just stops as soon as you turn the switch off may have the two power leads switched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom