CampTeq 80 Series popup camper (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I have been talking with the owner Eric of CampTeq and I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these ultra cool pop up campers.

Dump the Lightway off road trailer, dump the RTT and be the first on my block with one.

What do you guys think? - CampTeq.com

:cool:

Copy of DSC01128.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
dont you have to cut the whole roof off for this? Looks like it to me.

so you get in it how? thru the sunroof?

Phil, you have an awesome 80 (&40)!! I appreciate all the love you've put into your cruisers!

With part-time 4 wheel drive, OEM bushings, and caster plates I bet it drives like a 4runner more than ever :)
Seriously, I bet it drives like a dream!!

That campteq popup will be like icing on the cake.

Keep up the good work!!

so you get in it how? thru the sunroof?

From the site:

*Only vehicle modification is the removal of factory roof rack if present
*The removable Campteq top is accessible through factory sunroof, aftermarket rear sunroof, roof cut away, and from the exterior of the tent.

Phil, it looks like the simplest set up for camping of the three (this, RTT, & Trailer) You might of found your new camping bedroom.:hmm:

That would be the first step towards the "in crowd" a.k.a. The Expo Crowd. :cool:

First impression when I saw the Campteq topper was sell something, anything, and get one.
The more I look at them the more uncertain I am about the usefulness. Climbing in and out through the sunroof, stepping on the console, seat back etc seems a bit cumbersome and I suspect stuff would get damaged/broken over time. Also, with the sunroof open, do you really have all that much space in the remainder of the floor of the topper? Probably sufficient for two people to sleep in I guess.
The 2nd option is to climb in and out of the zippered window/door above the back hatch. I am always getting into the back of my cruiser when camping and think it may be a bit of a hassle. I am usually up and going long before the :princess:. She usually manages to sleep as long as it takes for the coffee and hot breakfast to be served up. I would have to prep, make and clean up so she could climb out over the hatch (prep and cook requires access to back end).

I dig them though, probably just over thinking because of the cost. Why do all these RTT systems cost so much?:bang:

I want to see Phil climbing through the sunroof :hillbilly:

You'll have a nice 4wd VW Camper van. If you do get it, you're going to have to grow a ponytail and start putting stuff in your brownies.

I will be using the ladder Eric suggested that is considerably stronger then any RTT ladder I have ever seen.

Having owned and spent time in a couple of RTT the CampTeq is leaps ahead with 10 second set up time because all your bedding stays in place. Dont see myself or anyone else going in and out except to go bed.:meh: I have thought of talking with Eric about a side entrance, we will see. But as of now I dont see it as an issue.

I see the CampTeq camper for me as a drive until you drop setup, 30 seconds and you are counting sheep. To close it up, maybe 30 seconds tops. No cover to put on or bedding to remove, just 2 latches on the rear and you are ready to leave.
thumb.gif
Watching it in action is amazing.

You'll have a nice 4wd VW Camper van. If you do get it, you're going to have to grow a ponytail and start putting stuff in your brownies.

The CampTeq setup is much more capable then any 4WD VW, Sportsmobile, or the likes. I watch Eric go down Black Bear Pass with zero issue. He also showed off the quality of the build by going down parts of BBP with the top open.:eek: I'm very impressed with the design and quality of the CampTeq.

Pop top camping

Interesting that it allows for the multiple entry methods. Looks like the top is fiberglass, is there a bottom to the shell that is also fiberglass, and some sort of foam matting between the roof and the bottom shell if so?

Kept wondering if you could build a roof rack that was hinged at the front mounts with the shell underneath with gas struts or locking braces that would let you have access to the shell - an AL rack would be lightweight and if you floor the rack properly, would protect the sleeping shell from branch and other hazard damage.

Looks nifty - if I ever manage to get my 60 back on the road, I'll have to come see it at the Phx get together.

Glenn in Tucson

Interesting that it allows for the multiple entry methods. Looks like the top is fiberglass, is there a bottom to the shell that is also fiberglass, and some sort of foam matting between the roof and the bottom shell if so?

Kept wondering if you could build a roof rack that was hinged at the front mounts with the shell underneath with gas struts or locking braces that would let you have access to the shell - an AL rack would be lightweight and if you floor the rack properly, would protect the sleeping shell from branch and other hazard damage.

Looks nifty - if I ever manage to get my 60 back on the road, I'll have to come see it at the Phx get together.

Glenn in Tucson

Hey Glenn, Zero fiberglass anywhere 100% recycled aluminum.

With the optional aircraft tie down rails you can put 250lbs on additional luggage on top. In my case Im looking at going with the optional 100Watt solar set up. You can also use the top (when closed) as an observation deck for viewing events like the Baja 500/1000:idea::cool:

If there was enough room to leave your sleeping bags unrolled inside that would be great. You could just pop the top and pass out or go to sleep depending on the night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom