camcruisers half door writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
okay so i got bored waiting for my driveshaft to come back from high angle,
so i decided it was time to make some half doors for the summer.

started with some donor doors, came off a 72, i installed them and figured where i would likethe cuts to be,

marked them and hacked away.
dcp15456.JPG
DCP15455.JPG

next i cleaned up the cuts ,made by the cut off wheel. then went to the local metal shop and got two 2 x 36 inch stips to cap the doors
dcp15458.JPG
dcp15457.JPG

lined the strip up and start the task of welding them on.

this took a while but eventually got the doors all welded up.
DCP15459.JPG
DCP15460.JPG

some in action photos, thanks to self timer.
DCP15461.JPG

some close ups,

tonight ill bust out the grinder and sander and get the edges to the way i want them then ill primer.

ill get some photos of that up in the morning.:cheers:
DCP15463.JPG
DCP15464.JPG

Nice work!

I think I say this for many of us, we appreciate you taking the time to post your write-ups!

I have them book marked.

Keep up the good work:cheers:

jc

thank you sir,

i hope that it can help some guys out when they go looking for ideas or referances. im always around if anyone needs photos or help.

so did you cut out the section where the interior panel has those bends and then weld? or did you just leave the overlap, weld, and then grind off the excess?

i'm wondering this, lookin at this pic:
attachment.php

your whole write-up looks really similar to when i did mine, ha ha...i've got pics on my computer somewhere.

do you have any ideas for a nice finished edge?
for the early style doors, i don't really know how you could efficiently get away from that 90deg edge...

i've been thinkin abt it and am goin to try out some stuff in a month or so hopefully

malphrus

for the overlap im just going to grind thm down to match the curves on the door.
youll see tonight the smooth finish. just made sure i had enough weld to grind down.

i know i posted em up abt 2-3 years ago when i did my doors...i'll try and find em

malphrus

when i did mine, i made a stencil for those bends on the interior panel so i could make sure i got a good weld (they were my first welding project)

yeah, here're some pics:

halfdoor3.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

the thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17327

malphrus

Nice job....getting ready to make a pair. Is there enough material if you where to cut them shorter on the inside--longer on the outside then work outerskin over the top and then back down??? Might have to add some small sq tubing to get a good outer edge ? ! .. Or is it easier to add a sheared and broke top??

well, you'll have to add material at some point b/c you'd have a triangular hole right before the upslope, and a triangular overlap at the junction of the sloped part and the top flat section.

i would just say get some fresh sheet and make stencils...that's how i did it. that way each door is goin to be the same width.

also, i use some long bolts to ensure that the gap between the outer/inner skins would stay constant...they wanted to bow in on each other. worked pretty good i guess. i can't really explain very well how i did it, ha ha

malphrus

Last edited:
do you have any ideas for a nice finished edge?
for the early style doors, i don't really know how you could efficiently get away from that 90deg edge...

i've been thinkin abt it and am goin to try out some stuff in a month or so hopefully

malphrus

You could get the nice radius on the edge by instead of welding a piece of flat stock in....bend up a piece of 14 guage channel...notch accordingly...insert it into the door until the skins come up tangent to the rounded edge of your new top plate...either stitch weld and fill...or Tig weld with silicon bronze rod would work great too...Also makes a stronger..straighter edge...

:cheers:

You could get the nice radius on the edge by instead of welding a piece of flat stock in....bend up a piece of 14 guage channel...notch accordingly...insert it into the door until the skins come up tangent to the rounded edge of your new top plate...either stitch weld and fill...or Tig weld with silicon bronze rod would work great too...Also makes a stronger..straighter edge...

:cheers:

that's the idea i've been tossin around in my head...

the problem with that is the early doors don't have a straight interior edge...
bending up a piece to fit would be possible i guess, but i think it would be tough to match the contour exactly.

i figure i could make some type of jig so that i knew how much to deform the radiused piece...we'll see how that all works out i guess, ha ha...i'll mos def post up when i do it and see how y'all like it...probably have a set or two to sell eventually

malphrus

Wasn't there a thread where someone used an exhaust pipe? He welded it so that the inner and outer skin met the tube exactly halfway up, then filled in the ends so that the only exposed portion was the rounded top.

I searched but can't find the thread now.

yes these doors are a little tricky, not being straight and all. heres some more pics of the finished metal work.
DCP15465_1.jpg
DCP15466_1.jpg
DCP15467_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom