camcruisers half door writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

a few more

you can see im in the process of stripping the doors, preping for the paint and hurculiner
DCP15468_1.jpg
DCP15471_1.jpg
DCP15472_1.jpg

im thinking of welding an oh**** bar on the passenger side for the wifey, she gets nervous easy
is there anyone out there that could bend me one????

Very nice work.

The half doors are really a nice additon for the summer. When I drove my FJ without the doors I always felt like I was going to fall out in a turn. Had very bad nightmares about it. If I can find some doors, I might do the same.

My Metal Tech Full cage (hip bars) should help with running without the doors.

you gonna help me make some? i got the front of my rig painted. thansk for your help last weekend.

you gonna help me make some? i got the front of my rig painted. thansk for your help last weekend.

your welcome,

as far as price, i have no clue. alot

Thanks!

Hey, thanks for this thread. I don't know how to weld yet, but this looks like a good first project. I have a set of older doors just waiting for me to find some time.

For others that are interested, there is another writeup on this in Jack Rice's website. Go to the bottom of Mud Technical Links page. The writeup is in his green FJ40 page and is listed as "new" but really isn't that new. His tops are very nicely contoured and look nice and comfy. He also details how he added a soft window to the top.

:cheers:

not sure if it would be a starter project you have to be careful when welding sheet metal, easy to burn through, i almost just fiberglassed them, probanly easier.

it can be done though.

thanks for the replies ill get more pics when i get them painted and finished up/

i was about to say sheet metal isnt very user friendly if your learning to weld...burns through pretty easy and can be a bit of a PITA some times...

Half doors?

door1.JPG

blackonblack.JPG

I followed my old kayline soft door profile. As for the back-side edge, I just concentrated the heat on the overlap while welding and the excess cut itself off.

They were fun till I smashed them at indy this summer :rolleyes:

I've got a thread going on for late model doors, but the sheet metal shop took forever (2.5 mths) to get the bent 16 gauge back to me...but hey they only charged me 10 bucks for 3 8ft sections :D

So thought I post a few pics here since its a more active thread.

Here are some pics...just need to get them welded up...

As you can see, I had them bent to fit flush on the outside and left a 1/2" lip on the interior to account for the varied thickness of the panel. This will also allow a door panel to fit nicely. Notice that the radius is different on the IN/EXT...this was to try and mimic the factory lines at the window. Overkill, yeah but what the hell...

PM if you have late model doors and want more info on the profile I used for the bends on the sheet

--todd
door 1.jpg
door 2.jpg
Door 3.jpg

Here's a thought that I might try when I get around to it...

Why not use the top of the door itself? When you cut it off, how about using the top piece-with a small insert where the window used to go through-to weld back to the top?

i wish i had late model doors but these are starting to look nice

here they are hurculined last night, killed a few brain cells out in the garage, will be preppin for paint this weekend.
IMG_1227_2.jpg
IMG_1228_2.jpg

i was about to say sheet metal isnt very user friendly if your learning to weld...burns through pretty easy and can be a bit of a PITA some times...

I was amazed as my buddy (welder by trade) made me a custom top for my tranny hump (accommodate a SM465).
All done with short-tacks, super clean....

plan on giving it a try when I make my 1/2 doors.

nice work on the hurculiner, looks sick man. what do you plan on doing next to them, ie what color paint.?

thanks fj tingy,

i will paint the whole door red like the rest of my cruza

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom