Cabin air filter conversion - LC100 to LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone actually tried to convert their air filter "housing" to an LX470 type or one from an LC100 that DOES have a slot for the air filters?

I am highly annoyed by this. How is it possible that some LC's have a slot and some don't? There seems to be no logic at all to this. I came across this problem while trying to figure out why my cabin is always so dusty compared to any other car I have ever had. Total vacuum/wipe-down and two days later everything is dusty and sandy again. Found the air filter DIY and came across this: no slot for air filters. You can actually see where the slot should be, like Denso just sent out a batch where they forgot to cut out the slot....
IMAG0378.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 2006... previous owner was a (*#$&ing) smoker. I've been chasing that (*#&^ing) smell for 2 months. Changing the cabin air filter was an obvious step.... until I discovered that the original owner didn't get the "Cabin Air Filter" option package. WTF? How does a 2006 NOT have this?

Would love to see a reasonably simple retrofit on this!

If the alignment slots for the filter are in the main housing itself, you would just need to get a new cover (I'm assuming there are no differences in blower, etc.) I had to replace my wifes evaporator core and that is the only thing I remember.

I have a 2006... previous owner was a (*#$&ing) smoker. I've been chasing that (*#&^ing) smell for 2 months. Changing the cabin air filter was an obvious step.... until I discovered that the original owner didn't get the "Cabin Air Filter" option package. WTF? How does a 2006 NOT have this?

Would love to see a reasonably simple retrofit on this!

You may want to clean the system to try and get rid of the smell. There is a good thread here somewhere showing an available two can package, one cleans the evaporator and and one goes into the outside air intake.

While these are all helpful tips for getting rid of the smoke (you could even try an ozone treatment), it still strikes me as INSANE that the cabin air filter was an option. These cars are pretty well specced out, surely more of us would like an air filter. It's just as insane that some of us to have an air filter slot but filters were never fitted.

I live in Holland, a flat wet country, yet my car is pretty dusty inside pretty quickly. How bad must it be for LC owners without filter is places like Arizona or Nevada or coastal communities?

In other words, I don't get the fact that someone @ Toyota had a brainfart that clean air was an OPTION.

And then the question is how to get around this...

What model 100 is spec'd w/o a cabin filter capable HVAC? In the US I don't think any are as such.

Ah, Holland apparently.

Try using the vinegar trick to get the smells out. It worked well for me in the past.

^ this. mixing bowl full of vinegar, hot day, full sun, windows up.

What model 100 is spec'd w/o a cabin filter capable HVAC? In the US I don't think any are as such.

Well, mine is French originally, but see above: "Manhattan" with the second post on this thread is in Atlanta and has no Cabin air filter.

Also, read here https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/39995-lx470-cabin-air-filter-replacement-diy.html and you'll see that other US LC's also don't have it. I understand your surprise, though. It's pretty stupid, Toyota really failed on this one.

Also the HVAC cleanse that darin and I did helps a ton for the funny smells.

:clap::clap:

If you've got smells "in" the AC unit, this really makes a big difference. If your smell is in a headliner/carpet, you'll need to do the vinegar trick.

So, back to the OP question: What does it take to retrofit? Someone mentioned maybe only changing the lid of the airbox (assuming, with one from an LX that has the filter slot). What about the box itself; I would guess there are some rails/slots to hold the filter..)

What parts can you even get separately? Can you buy the air box assembly without the fan/motor? What cost are we talking about here?

I agree with the comments thus far; absolutely mindblowing how this could not be standard on any model LC! I have a 06 with AHC, leader, etc etc... and not a cabin air filter!?!?!

At the same time, it's surprising that there is not a clear idea on how to get this resolved. I wish Toyota or anyone else could state, "buy p/n X for $ and replace p/n Y if your car didn't come with this option"

Exactly. The FSM shows the cover where the filter slots in as No.1 Cooler Cover, and is shown with a slot in the LC FSM (so not only LX). FSM does not list p/n though. You would need that part, I guess, but what you would need inside that "housing" to hold the filter is a mystery. I am also unclear as to whether the filter is on the input or output side. Would the evap have a "tougher" life without the filter?

I recently took out the a/c "hamster wheel" fan and it was clean as a whistle. How does that work? My cabin is filthy dusty, but the fan is clean?

So the front cover (#1) is available but the access door (#2) is not? Weird.

88891S COVER, COOLER, NO.1 **891-60040 1998.01-2000.08 UZJ100 1 $25.00 $19.62
Manufacture notes: NO.1

88891S COVER, COOLER, NO.1 (NOT AVAILABLE)
Replaced by: **891-60060 **891-60050 1998.01-2000.08 UZJ100 1 -- --
Manufacture notes: NO.2

ILLUST NO. 1 OF 3 ----- (9801- ) ----- FRONT

Great pic, Robred. Judging by that, I would guess that with a new cover with a slot, I could jam the filters in. It does not look like they are internally supported by anything. They seem to just sit flush against the square part of the motor housing. Interesting.

The parts diagram I don't get either. You can see the filter does seem to sit against the housing.
What's 88578B?

Is it even possible to remove/replace the front cover with the unit still installed in the vehicle?

Good question, but judging by the diagrams, yes it looks OK. Remove antenna relay though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom