Cabin air filter conversion - LC100 to LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I recently took out the a/c "hamster wheel" fan and it was clean as a whistle. How does that work? My cabin is filthy dusty, but the fan is clean?

Does anyone have an answer to that question? Is there some sort of alternate ventilation pathway, short of having the windows and/or sun roof open? What about the rear A/C unit? I had a pine needle get into mine last year, but other than that it was surprisingly clean.

Actually, I get that now. Since there is no filter anywhere and the hamster wheel is hard plastic with ginormous gaps, the dust is blown straight into the cabin. The wheel is constantly blown clean by air circulation. I could have cleaned the wheel in the dishwasher or something I guess. I posted a pic of my wheel in the LX470 DIY filter thread.

Actually, I get that now. Since there is no filter anywhere and the hamster wheel is hard plastic with ginormous gaps, the dust is blown straight into the cabin. The wheel is constantly blown clean by air circulation. I could have cleaned the wheel in the dishwasher or something I guess. I posted a pic of my wheel in the LX470 DIY filter thread.

That's odd since I've never had a fan (plastic, metal, wood or otherwise) that didn't accumulate some sort of dust or grit on the blades with regular use.

It was slightly dusty, but I couldn't be bothered to clean it as it would get dusty without a filter anyway. There is only so much dust that can accumulate on those thin blades. I think the hamster wheel is stationary, BTW. The housing it mounts to holds the fan IIRC.

It was slightly dusty, but I couldn't be bothered to clean it as it would get dusty without a filter anyway. There is only so much dust that can accumulate on those thin blades. I think the hamster wheel is stationary, BTW. The housing it mounts to holds the fan IIRC.

as far as I can tell, the "hamster wheel" *is* the blower rotor.

I stand corrected. I guess it couldn't have gone in the dishwasher then. Like I said, pic in other thread.

Lexi, check this pic of a 2002 US LC100 (not mine but rf600's), and please tell me where the filter would go.

Feddomw - OBVIOUSLY, it goes behind the closed panel there! :idea: But it does look like you're right about some US trucks not having the ability to have the filters (at least not without a part mod). However, was rtf600's truck spec'd for US? I'm still suspect!

Anyway, I side with uHu on this one. Very very odd and not documented well by Toyota.

Anyone have an LX470 with a 7/03 build date? I'm curious whether they really don't have the door. The only month in the 10 years of production. ;)

seems to me it wouldn't be that difficult to modify a "closed" cover or find a way to hold the filters in place under it somehow, if the slotted covers can't be found easily or are obscenely expensive. It's not like it has to hold water...

seems to me it wouldn't be that difficult to modify a "closed" cover or find a way to hold the filters in place under it somehow, if the slotted covers can't be found easily or are obscenely expensive. It's not like it has to hold water...

These are cheap...$25 list (USA)

RobRed said:
So the front cover (#1) is available but the access door (#2) is not? Weird.

88891S COVER, COOLER, NO.1 **891-60040 1998.01-2000.08 UZJ100 1 $25.00 $19.62
Manufacture notes: NO.1

88891S COVER, COOLER, NO.1 (NOT AVAILABLE)
Replaced by: **891-60060 **891-60050 1998.01-2000.08 UZJ100 1 -- --
Manufacture notes: NO.2

ILLUST NO. 1 OF 3 ----- (9801- ) ----- FRONT

$25 is not bad. Might be more in Europe though. Maybe not stocked everywhere either.

Hasn't anybody on Mud bought this dang thing yet to try and see if it fits for sure any/all non-filter LCs? If so, it would be good to know for a fact that it does.

These are cheap...$25 list (USA)

So the front cover (#1) is available but the access door (#2) is not? Weird.

88891S COVER, COOLER, NO.1 **891-60040 1998.01-2000.08 UZJ100 1 $25.00 $19.62
Manufacture notes: NO.1

88891S COVER, COOLER, NO.1 (NOT AVAILABLE)
Replaced by: **891-60060 **891-60050 1998.01-2000.08 UZJ100 1 -- --
Manufacture notes: NO.2

ILLUST NO. 1 OF 3 ----- (9801- ) ----- FRONT

Anyone else notice the model-year fitment of part 88891-60040, which seems to be the part with the slot? Only through 2000.08(!).

My 2001 doesn't have the slot also!!??

With all the talks about 00-03 having cabin filter slot, it got me wonder if I can just buy the filter and install it. Well, mine is 2001 and since I do take mine off road in dusty trail often, I figure having a filter is better than none. So, last night I took the glove off and double check to make sure I have the filter slot. Well guess what! My 2001 TLC have the same seal off (molded shut) housing, just like those in 04+ trucks. The stamped date code on the air box is 09/30/2000. Funny thing is my maintenance reminder screen (I have factory navi) does have a reminder for A/C filter.

From what I can see, all the screw (except one, lower left, which has a bracket right in front of it) that secure the front plate are accessible, so I think we can just replace one that has the filter slot.

So, check before you run out and buy the filter.
IMG_1884.jpg

Do all the non-filter units have a "B" sticker? "A" for air filter covers and "B" for covers without the slot.

Just noticed that in pics in this thread without filter slot, both have that "B" sticker.

Well guess what! My 2001 TLC have the same seal off (molded shut) housing, just like those in 04+ trucks.

Wow. Well there you have it.

My 1998 model has the slots, but no filters. LX470 filters are a direct fit.
My 2003 has no slots.
So Toyota decided to design different covers a few years after designing the LC and LX470 model.
Go figure...

Parts ordered. (HVAC box cover, filter door cover, filters) I'll see if they come in and if this actually works.

Parts ordered. (HVAC box cover, filter door cover, filters) I'll see if they come in and if this actually works.

:clap:

What was the total cost? If this upgrade works (fingers crossed) please be sure to post all of the part numbers.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom