LX470 Cabin Air Filter Replacement DIY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Threads
Perform steps 1-3 first to inspect whether you have the access doors or not before ordering filters!!!

Did this little project this evening. Figured I'd write it up.

5 Easy steps:

1. Remove glove box door by removing both screws at the bottom of the door.

2. First pop the the little flap with a fuse/relay out of the black plastic shield in the upper portion of the glove box opening. Next push it back behind the shield through the opening. Next remove the 3 screws holding the shield in place. Don't pull this shield out yet!! Read step 3 first.

3. Gently pull the shield out. Be careful because the glove box light is still plugged into this part. It is located on the right side of the shield. Once it is pulled out slightly, unplug the bulb from the harness and now you can fully remove the part.

4. Now you can see the vertical cover where the air filters reside. The cover is about 5 inches tall and about 1 inch wide. It has 2 tabs on the upper portion of the cover. Squeeze these tabs towards each other and pull the cover off.

5. The filters are now exposed. They are stacked on top of each other. Pull the first filter out then lift the next filter up and pull out. Put new filters back in and reverse the procedure.

Parts needed:
2 Cabin air filters (Toyota PN 88568-60010 if you drop CDan a pm)
1 Phillips screw driver

Time needed:
No more than 15 minutes

Mechanical Difficulty:
EASY :banana:

-Tad

Last edited:
Very easy as you described. I found that my '99 I've owned for a year now has no filters!! My intent was to see how filthy they were- I'll have some in pronto.

I'm also very disappointed to see that my lx did not have any filters in there ! the last time the lx was at the dealership I had specifically asked them to check if they need replacement. Had i not checked i would've never known. bad service from lexus. but nevertheless, i'll put new ones in now !

All right, probably dumb question, but when did the LC get cabin filters? Anyone know?

Was not part of my 90k service. Has yet to be recommended?

The LX470 has had this since the '98 inception. The LC seems to be hit or miss throughout the years. Earlier models seem to have the filter slot but almost always have no filters. Then as the years progressed some LC's don't even have a slot for the filters while others of similar MY do! I would perform the first few steps to see if 1) your 100 has the opening for filters and then 2) if you still need filters (maybe they are clean!)

Man guys, 0 for 2 on the filters! Mine were black instead of bright white and had what I call "pecan doodles" in them from when the Pecan trees pollenate. Hard to believe that trash would make it that far in.

Last edited:
I have found references to LC having them in 2000 - 2001

I would like to know about LC having them also..

:bounce:

None found when I was servicing the '00 LC tonight.

There will be before the pollen flies.....thanks Tad. :cheers:

Can you retro fit a cabin filter to a '99 LC 100?

Takes about a minute to drop the glove box door (five minutes for the screwdriver impaired) and compare it to Tabraha's picture, if the trapdoor for the filter is there, then yes. :idea:

If I wouldn't have been in such a hurry in the first place I would have saw Tab's photo link ("the faster I go the behinder I get"). I pulled my glove box and the slot is there sure enough. Just e-mailed CDan to order. I assume, by Tab's instructions this slot will hold two filters?

Thanks!!!

CDan's gonna be on backorder soon!!! I can't believe how many of you guys don't have ANY filters!!

Tad Abraham :cheers:

Sure enough, my 2000 LC has the access door but no filter cartridge. Does anybody know what type of media is in the cartridge? I'm assuming it is either a high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) fiber filter for removing small particles like pollen or an activated carbon pack for removing fumes and odors like diesel exhaust and essence of skunk. If there is space for two cartridges, it would be good to have one of each. The part number listed in an eariler post (8856860010) comes up on www.toyotapartscheap.com as a "filter, air" for $20.96 (list $26.20). It doesn't specify if one or two are required or the type of media.

so this is what i'm curious about, as now there are other posts mentioning that there are the compartments but have no cartridge. were they taken out by the service dept. and never replaced ? or were they taken out by previous owners ? ...

I have the same curiousity. I bought my 2000 LC used with all the dealer service records. No mention of replacing the ventilation air filter. I'm beginning to think the factory never put them in; perhaps they were out of stock. Maybe a class action law suit is in order! I wonder if Toyota USA and/or Toyota Japan monitor this forum. If you are, I want my filter cartridge!!!

In the cabin filter 'bay' on my '99 LC100 it appears one of the filters must rest on top of the other? It, due to the air path being on the bottom of the door slot, looks like this must be the case. It is difficult to imagine, without the filters of course, to see how the filters rest inside this compartment. When I get the filters I'll let all you LC owners if and how it works...

jp213a said:
I'm assuming it is either a high efficiency particulate air (HEPA) fiber filter for removing small particles like pollen or an activated carbon pack for removing fumes and odors like diesel exhaust and essence of skunk. If there is space for two cartridges, it would be good to have one of each. The part number listed in an eariler post (8856860010) comes up on www.toyotapartscheap.com as a "filter, air" for $20.96 (list $26.20). It doesn't specify if one or two are required or the type of media.

It is a HEPA paper/fiber filter. The filters sit stacked one on top of the other, 2 high. Look very closely in the "step 5" picture and you will see me pulling out the top filter with the top tab of the lower filter barely visible underneath. They are identical parts so order a quantity of 2 for a single changeout.

As for the carbon filter; that would be worth pursuing. The automatic circulation sniffer works great for everything except skunk, it won't catch that but mine works very well at catching 4 wheeled stinkbombs before they get into the cabin.

Tad Abraham

Thanks Tad for the info. One more: How does one get an email to Cdan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom