Builds Build Thread - My first fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1974 fj40 with 79,000 miles

813E82B9-CC0B-44ED-B376-F4632C200AFA.jpeg

1974 fj40 with 79,000 miles

View attachment 2464618

After a lot of searching and looking at countless fj40s, I finally found the perfect one. She had been in storage since prior to 1994. On October 9 her wheels turned for the first time in over 26 years. While not under her own power, she had a willingness to go on to the trailer for her ride to Florida. Two days later she arrived and we rolled her into the driveway. After some observations, I realized what a perfect cruiser she was and am happy to begin restoring her to her original beauty.

As some of you may know I’m a teenager, and this is my first vehicle. My dream came true. Like my predecessors, I long to drive only landcruisers. I will start with this fj40 and the journey will begin.

Overall this 1974 fj40 is in excellent condition. The body has almost no rust. There are no holes, only a few small sections of superficial surface rust. At least that’s what it seems like. She has only 79,000 miles and her frame has handled those miles well. The frame is perfectly straight and has just a little bit of surface rust in a few sections. Nothing at all is rusted through and all of the steel is strong. It will need some work to make it perfect, but I’m ready and able. Everything on her is original. No aftermarket parts or pieces except the wheels and some soft sided doors. Amazingly the spare tire is original, and will come inside the house where it belongs. All of the badges look great. All of the sides, doors, glass, are accounted for and original. They have no rust, and just need to be sanded, primed, and painted.

As for her powerplant,
I have two disassembled 2fe engines to choose from. I will take one of the blocks along with the cylinder head, crankshaft, balancing shaft, and pistons to a well known speed shop to see if it will be the right one to bring back to life. While that is in process, I’m going to start some sanding, priming, etc in preparation for her eventual paint job. I am sure that I will be asking a lot of questions as I am new to all of this.

I’m sure I’ll be looking for parts and pieces too. So far, I know that I need a hardtop as it wasn’t there.

I’ll post pictures of her progress.

The journey starts now.

Welcome! My 40 was my first car in high school and I still have it! 15 years later I'm still working on it and it's just about to come back out on the road. Good luck! And ask away!

Awesome! And welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Just my opinion, but if you plan on keeping this (and I hope you do, you will forever regret it if you sell it!) then build it how YOU want it. There are many purists here that will be angry by that comment, but it's yours, do what you want to do with it (within reason, lol). Looks like you have a perfect platform to start with. Good luck!

Awesome! And welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. Just my opinion, but if you plan on keeping this (and I hope you do, you will forever regret it if you sell it!) then build it how YOU want it. There are many purists here that will be angry by that comment, but it's yours, do what you want to do with it (within reason, lol). Looks like you have a perfect platform to start with. Good luck!

Yes absolutely!! Thank you!! 😁

Congrats and good luck!

not sure what your build plans are, and IF you plan to keep it forever, then build away, but I would by far take as much advice as possible.
when I was younger I did some things that seemed pretty cool at the time, lol but basically hurt the value and made it much more difficult to deal with in the future. 40s are getting more and more rare. Some mods are updgrades and even though they aren’t true pure factory, they definitely are worth it.

what are you looking to do with the FJ40 in terms of build?

Congrats and good luck!

not sure what your build plans are, and IF you plan to keep it forever, then build away, but I would by far take as much advice as possible.
when I was younger I did some things that seemed pretty cool at the time, lol but basically hurt the value and made it much more difficult to deal with in the future. 40s are getting more and more rare. Some mods are updgrades and even though they aren’t true pure factory, they definitely are worth it.

what are you looking to do with the FJ40 in terms of build?
Well, first of course I’m going to get it very clean and then painted nicely, I’m going to get it running great, and as I’m doing it I’m going to learn as much as I can about them, and once I’m finished with that, I will think about some builds.
I know for sure, that being as I live in Florida, I will often switch between the hard top soft top and no top. I will also most likely get an ac kit along the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom