BUILD: Third time's a charm - LX450 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Clean up my questionable jigsaw work with a router, several coats of Rustoleum textured multicolor paint and we're in business. I've used this paint many times before and have been very happy with it. The texture is like 80 grit sandpaper and it's available in several colors.

I didn't paint the section where the drawer sits because it just wasn't needed and this stuff doesn't go very far. I probably used 4 cans just doing the plate.

IMG_3518.JPG

IMG_3563.JPG

IMG_3565.JPG

Just for posterity’s sake, here’s Brandon’s previous LX. I’m a bit biased obviously, but a turbo is tough to beat. That being said, an LS1 450 must be amazing!

0FE24D85-6D3A-4238-87D0-29AC54B56F81.jpeg

View attachment 2519368

Enough of this mobo jumbo stuff. Let see some smokey 4 wheel burn outs and some 4 wheel drifting with that 6.2 ls singing!

How is it running? I am still waiting on tags from DMV till I can drive mine, BUT I am doing a lot of research on the LS swaps!

Enough of this mobo jumbo stuff. Let see some smokey 4 wheel burn outs and some 4 wheel drifting with that 6.2 ls singing!

How is it running? I am still waiting on tags from DMV till I can drive mine, BUT I am doing a lot of research on the LS swaps!
Haha. Most might be disappointed at how easy I am on the motor. It's amazing how little effort is needed to push an 80 on 37's to 80mph. I rarely see anything north of 3500 rpm's and it moves effortlessly. The 1FZ is great, but i do not think about it and the power curve of the 6.2L is very different than the turbo.

All in all, it's running great. I've clocked 3500 miles and drive it 3x a week. I had to do a crank relearn procedure one-time due to a check engine light but that's it. Only big question mark at this point will be to see how it does in summer heat with AC cranking. That's the final test for me.

The painter twisted my arm and convinced me to let him "do it right", so this resulted in a bit more than the hood alone. He tore down the front end to do both fenders, cowl, lower valiance/bezel and help fix a few prior dings in the passenger fender.

Tear down:

IMG_4221.JPG

IMG_4222.JPG

IMG_4241.jpg

This level of disassembly required replacement of the front fender flare gaskets. Color matched ones are no longer available so we could have painted the black OEM ones I got but opted to source 4runner ones courtesy of the research @mtkreitz did. Here is the part number and close of up of installed gasket. Great match

IMG_4267.JPG

IMG_4330.JPG

IMG_4333.JPG

Since getting rid of heat is always a plus and I'd love to see my OEM radiator be successful this coming summer, it made sense (kinda) to steal an idea from @goranvolvo and @Box Rocket to incorporate an early 2000's mustang hood scoop, in reverse orientation of course. Finished product from the underneath to show new hood insulation and holes cut around bracing.

IMG_4226.JPG

IMG_4338.JPG

IMG_4284.JPG

Last edited:
Blacked out the grill, reassembled and that's a wrap. Now to address the front bumper.

Final product was way better than imagined, and the first round of pinstripes will certainly make me cringe.

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4310.JPG

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4311.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom