Wanted Broken SD40 Carb Parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mark, I’m not sure if you realize you chose a Public Thread instead of a Private Conversation to highlight my seemingly insufficient packing job.

I understand your delimma with time and parents. My 85 year old father passed on April 28, 2018 and now my 88 year old mother is requiring more of my attention on a daily basis. So I’ll ignore your lack of bedside manner as understandable behavior for a stressed out Vintage 4x4 mechanic.

Yes, poor call on my part. Thanks for understanding.

It’s not just the move, but the house I am helping her move out of. We originally moved in in 1974, and I did a major remodel on the house for my mom after my dad passed before she moved back in 2001. It is some of my best work. All the work on the Estin house (where we moved after this one) was destroyed by the new owners. So this is kind of traumatic like the warehouse fire for me.

Back to the Carburetor.

In your opinion, was the carb damaged in shipping (it was insured)?

Is it worth fixing or now only good as a boat anchor?
As for the carb, the sight glass is a deal breaker. I’m waiting just like everyone else for a repop to become available.

Once I mentioned I may be getting rid of it I have been slammed with IM's .. So I decided to let it go. Prob for less than what it was worth.. But going to good home. :)

@KY Longhunter was the engine running before you removed it? wondering if this is another PO situation?

Last edited:
As for the carb, the sight glass is a deal breaker. I’m waiting just like everyone else for a repop to become available.

Mark... I'll wait a minute, but from all the activity it seems that if we Rebuild it, the glass will come ...

Alex

While your mulling over the info from our phone call, just thought I’d share this. You know that carb I told you got chucked over the 8 foot gate by the delivery guy yesterday while I was away helping my mom? Well it had no padding... and it was disassembled!!!

I pulled the cardboard off the top and this is what I found! One float presumably guillotined by the carb insulator, one baggie of small parts torn open, right next to a hole in the box. :rolleyes:
A1ABAD1B-299D-47C9-B7D2-E8F1BFF11515.jpeg

If the air horn will bend in without breaking, why cant you attempt to bend it back out? I am not sure this will work, just curious. I would think with some patience and tapping you might get it to bend back out. Plus it is covered by the air cleaner anyway so as long as it does not impede air flow or keep the throttle plate from turning I am not sure that it matters.
Has anyone tried bending one of these out successfully before?

If the air horn will bend in without breaking, why cant you attempt to bend it back out? I am not sure this will work, just curious. I would think with some patience and tapping you might get it to bend back out. Plus it is covered by the air cleaner anyway so as long as it does not impede air flow or keep the throttle plate from turning I am not sure that it matters.
Has anyone tried bending one of these out successfully before?

Mark A. is currently in possession of carb. He thinks he can bend it back, although he's never done so with an early SD-40 before {disclaimer, disclaimer}.

Before I cut him loose, I am watching Krondor's success with replicating Sight Glass. This could deem the fate of this carb.

Mark A. is currently in possession of carb. He thinks he can bend it back, although he's never done so with an early SD-40 before {disclaimer, disclaimer}.

Before I cut him loose, I am watching Krondor's success with replicating Sight Glass. This could deem the fate of this carb.
I have an old weber carb with a bent air horn. No intentions of using it. Maybe I will try bending it back and see what happens. As far as the glass goes, reproduction would be great! Only half of the SD-40 carbs I have purchased have come with good glass.

I would give Mark a chance to see if he can bend it back. I can always cut you a plain piece of plate glass to act as the window in the mean time. The glass window project is looking hopeful though.

Mark - I will call you today, but I’ll go ahead and post here too.

Please go ahead and start straightening air horn first.

If unsuccessful then stop, if successful move on to rebuild. This way I don’t waste $$ on failed attempt.

I have a carb that I tried to straighten. Same situation. Bent air horn. As soon as I applied pressure, the casting started to crumble. Strange, because the original dent or bent area looks perfect it is just bent. I did not heat it up first. I tried tapping it with a round nosed hammer. Bad idea! Then I attempted to put 2 curved pieces on either side of the bend and squeze with vise grips. That too failed and started to crack the original casting around the bend. I did not heat it up first so that might make a difference. Just wanted to tell you about my failed attempt before you run into the same problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom