Brighter Headlights for FJ60??? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The gold thing is a resistor. I can't read the value of it from the picture. There's a diode soldered to it - the little black thing. Now if we only knew how it was wired in, we'd be in business :) I also notice you have three relays in the harness. What's the third one for? It also looks to have 4 fuseholders in it. There's way more stuff there than in the generic one I recently added to my 60.

its for a quad headlight set up in a fj62.......thats what the "extra" stuff is. I'll try to get a better pic. and again..........look for my actaull
gizmo :)

60wag said:
The gold thing is a resistor. I can't read the value of it from the picture. There's a diode soldered to it - the little black thing. Now if we only knew how it was wired in, we'd be in business :) I also notice you have three relays in the harness. What's the third one for? It also looks to have 4 fuseholders in it. There's way more stuff there than in the generic one I recently added to my 60.

Landpimp said:
this(the gold thing) is the little "gizzmo" or at least it looks the same as the one that I used for the 60. This is however part of a h4/H1 headlight harness.

76039559.jpg

Where does that plug that's way at the bottom plug into? Thanks in advance.

into the passangerside outer(high/low) headlight plug after its unpluged from the headlight, its used to triger the relays from the headlight switch.........I think ;)

MR.FJ60 said:
Where does that plug that's way at the bottom plug into? Thanks in advance.

Hey Pimp, could you just read off the markings on the diode and the resistor? That way, maybe someone smarter than I am could tell us what we need to do to make that high-beam indicator work... :)

DALE RH-25 25W
20 ohme(I think, its a funny symbol, from my high school memory, its a Ohme) 1% Mexico MO335

I can't read the little black thing

John
polarweasel said:
Hey Pimp, could you just read off the markings on the diode and the resistor? That way, maybe someone smarter than I am could tell us what we need to do to make that high-beam indicator work... :)

gee, look at that...

So it turns out that the IH8MUD tech section is useful... :doh: I forgot to look there!

Here's an article (with wiring diagram) by Wayne Tangen and Dan Moeller on FJ62 H4 harnesses. I'd like to see some actual pictures, but really, the wiring harness diagram is about all you need. It's even got wire lengths indicated.

For you 62 owners, it's all you need to make your own harness. For 60 owners, delete the H1 bits. Either way, it shows exactly where the diode and resistor need to go.

This'd be a nice article to have linked from the 60/62 FAQ...

the harness I pictured above(ofr a fj62) was made by Wayne Tangen :) it kicks ass! the 62 is more involved then the 60. IPF has a kit that will work on the 62 but you need to buy 2 harnesses total is about $160!

polarweasel said:
So it turns out that the IH8MUD tech section is useful... :doh: I forgot to look there!

Here's an article (with wiring diagram) by Wayne Tangen and Dan Moeller on FJ62 H4 harnesses. I'd like to see some actual pictures, but really, the wiring harness diagram is about all you need. It's even got wire lengths indicated.

For you 62 owners, it's all you need to make your own harness. For 60 owners, delete the H1 bits. Either way, it shows exactly where the diode and resistor need to go.

This'd be a nice article to have linked from the 60/62 FAQ...

FWIW, I also had the IPF on my 60 - which I sold - and loved them. Sure wish I had 'em on my FJ62.

OK, I've got the hi beam indicator working. From the Tangen wiring diagram ref'd above I got that the resistor diode combo is taking the place of a low beam in the original circuit. What's a little screwy is that the pinouts of the headlamp in their diagram don't match mine. Their diagram is labled rear view of an H4 headlamp. They lable the left connector low, middle top as hi and right as common. I found mine to be left common (+), upper middle is low beam and right is high beam. I took a 20 ohm 30W resistor with a diode solded to it and plugged it between the left (common) and middle (low) connector on the unused original headlight socket on the driver side - and the hi beam indicator works. The arrow on the diode, (the end with the line on it) goes torward the middle connector. The Tangen wiring diagram would make sense if the illustration was a view of the connector instead of the back of the lamp and you interchanged the hi and low terminals.

Wiring Harness

I can't find a toyota only wiring harness, one that would allow me to keep my brights indicator. Does ARB still make these? I'm willing to pay for a pre-made one as I don't have the time to learn how to do it right.

Also, the legal limit is 55(low)/60(high) right? Can I put 80/135s on?

Yes, IPF / ARB still makes the harness. If your seriously interested in it, check out www.samsoffroad.com and they have the best price by about $20!!! I just ordered my Rancho 9k's from them for $72! Sams is a cool guy to deal with too! Ultra Fast shipping!

I think the legal limit would be state and area specific. I plan on running the "ILLEGAL" Euro Hella 7" Headlight replacements in my FJ60 with the IPF Harness and some ultra duty bulbs that i havent decided on yet. I plan on aiming them a little low to not blind people, but to have them insanely bright (135watt or so) on high beams, for when off road and thusfore eliminating extra lights! I ran this on my heep and it worked the balls and didnt blind anyone!

I use the 80/100's on my 60. Aimed them well, and with the e-code lenses they focus the light on the road, not into oncoming drivers eyes. Yes the lenses and bulbs are illegal, but they are way safer to me and others than the legal options. Kinda wierd....

The concern with 130w highs is that the higher the watt output, the shorter the bulb life. Big dropoff over 100w's I'm told. Just something to keep in mind.

I'm planning on ordering a set of the 920H MSR lights, and X51 bulbs - but I have one question. Over the phone the local IPF Rep had told me that the bulbs were 60/100 watt? not 55/60? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

the IPF H-4's come without bulbs. I do not use IPF bulbs, as I don't buy into the "magic" I use stanard Hella's 55/60 if no harness, if a harness 80/100. You will be shocked at how bright this combo is......

WALoeIII said:
I'm planning on ordering a set of the 920H MSR lights, and X51 bulbs - but I have one question. Over the phone the local IPF Rep had told me that the bulbs were 60/100 watt? not 55/60? Can anyone confirm/deny this?

production source for FJ60 harnesses!

As a quick update to this thread, Susquehanna Motorsports makes very nice wiring harnesses. They made me one custom for my FJ60 based on Wayne Tangen's diagram (modified for a 2-light system instead of 4). They have gotten enough interest in these things that they're selling them as a regular-production item now for $77. It's a good deal!

These guys are good people, and they have quality products at reasonable prices. I've been using the harness (and new high-powered lights!) for a couple of months, and I can recommend the company without reservation.

Tell 'em Alex Ball in Colorado sent you. I have no idea if you'll get a discount, but it's always nice to know your customers are referring business your way. :)

Lightforce lights....

We've been running our lightforce lights for a few years now and I'm happy with them except for one thing: if you (or some stupid fawker) adjusts the lenses too tight, they can crack the threads on the lens portion, which will let water in, which will eventually fry the bulbs. You'll only find this out at night, in a rainstorm when you are trying to pull someone else out and could *really* use the extra light. :(

so be careful. Or better yet, put a zip tie or something on to prevent overtightening.

bryancald said:
Hey beachedFJ62,

Try the Lightforce lights, Polycarbonate housings and lenses.....but for the best part, you rotate the lens body, and it changes the focus from a pencil to a wide beam!

Very high quality, but still lightweight. They also include a breather system for submersing, not good with 130W and glass lenses.

You can also get all colors for filters, including infra-red for the stealth missions!

No affiliation, just a happy owner!

Good luck!

So which is the better option in terms of light output? Is it lightforce, or the 920H IPFs with the C41B Whitemax H4 and Blue Afterburner combo?

:beer:

I was unhappy with the IPF "afterglow" bulbs in my Heep. I really really really like the Hella H4 inserts and Hella 55/100 bulbs that I've got in my 60 now.

Coatings are silly. Don't fall for the hype. Oddball gas mixtures may be useful, depending on what you're trying to do. I'd call rallylights.com or Daniel Stern and talk to someone who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom