Bottle jack alternatives and how to safely store/secure them (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I ditched the factory jack some time back as mine was dodgy and it doesn't work well with a lifted 80. Instead I have a Masada MH-7 which is bigger but made in Japan is high quality.

It does't fit into the factory jack pocket (and that's a pretty poor place to put the jack IMHO).

42155244415_3c117858d5_b.jpg

pic page

Does anyone have this jack (or the smaller MH-5 version) and have you worked out a good way to store is securely when not needed?

I'm trying to figure something out at the moment as I'm doing a full re-configure of the back of my 80 which looks like this when everything is pulled out leaving just my custom shelves and stuff mounted to them in place:

43056936771_6508515dd0_b.jpg

pic page

Craig.

Holy enormous airtank Batman!:lol:

How big is the tool box on the left?
Sort of thinking of doing similar there,, but with a few big ammo boxes.

Can you modify the cradle in the standard spot? Hydraulic bottle hacks are best kept upright which limits your options a lot.
The main problem I see with the factory jack location is access when you build shelves in the back.

Yeah I already decided the factory bottle jack location is a PITA even without my shelves there - I'm considering a way to secure it to the RHS shelf in front of the aluminium chequerplate box (which is actually sold as a battery box but I'm using it as storage for stuff for the compressor and ratchet straps used with Loadrail roof bars).

Does that jack have any more reach than the factory unit? Just curious.

Buy an ammo can, bolt the can down. That way it is where it is, not flopping around

Does that jack have any more reach than the factory unit? Just curious.

No, that jack will have much less, the factory jack is double extension, and mechanical, so a solid piece of kit.

Thanks. I thought the factory jack will go considerably higher. I'm thinking this is a downgrade. But that's not the question. :)

The attached PDF is where the FSM recommends the jack placement for lifting. We offer Jack Adapter to make the location much more secure and safe when needed. Also another pro for the factory jack is it will work in any position every time you need it. Not always the case with a hydro.

Jack Adapters - Land Cruiser Products - LCP

Attachments

• 80 series jack location.pdf
    329.3 KB · Views: 192
The attached PDF is where the FSM recommends the jack placement for lifting. We offer Jack Adapter to make the location much more secure and safe when needed. Also another pro for the factory jack is it will work in any position every time you need it. Not always the case with a hydro.

Might just be me but I can't get that PDF to open.

OK. Must be my PC then.

That's a great idea--on my evergrowing list of "stuff to buy for da' 80"

That's a great idea--on my evergrowing list of "stuff to buy for da' 80"

Might want to look at Phil's Puma mounts to replace the shelves you have. More stable, less wasted space and easy access to the OEM jack storage panel.

Didn't know factory jack is a double-extending design. In any case, the idea of using a steel ammo box is actually a very good one. I use some of them as toolboxes already, and they're ultra-cheap to buy from army surplus places on Ebay. These ones are what I use:

15416655759_ce986e8d12_b.jpg

pic page

I don't recall but does the Toyota one use the same rotary handle motion to operate as is used for the factory spare wheel chain?

My '96 US spec truck has a cubby hole with a latched cover on the passenger side, opposite the jack/tool kit cubby.

It measures 4" x 9" x 13"...maybe you could stuff the jack in there?

:)

-Andy

My 80 has that space too but even without my shelves etc it's a PITA of a location IMHO. Nice for a factory jack if that's what you have and/or like. I have a 3" lift on my 80 and the Masada IMHO has a better ground footprint and not needing the toyota multipiece hard to use handle thingy is for me a plus. Just my view

If you can't fit it under either of the shelves, how about putting it under the hood somewhere? Do you have a dual battery setup?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom